German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we moved and the one neighbor has a horse and goat that have been staying in the top pasture. the dogs smell them and were fine seeing them far away. well the horse and goat are now in the lower pasture- next to my yard. i told the bf to not use their fence for our fence due to the livestock next door as i knew my dog (rufus pitx) would not be ok. the gsd (sadie) is smarter then rufus. so the first time the horse was next to us i had the dogs onleash just in case. and they both charged on leash to the horse (which i didnt let them as i was holding their leashes but they went nuts) so back in the house we went right away. now they have to be on leash in my new fenced in yard due to the horse next door. the horse is not afraid at all.
now the main problem is my gsd, my boyfriend has coddled her, shown too much attention to her, and basically lets her hang with him whenever he is home from work and working in the yard.. i kept telling him to stop it as he was ruining her and making her super dependent on him. she used to listen to me wonderfuly until he started doing this... well, this morning she was out offleash and went after the horse, i called her off and she ignored me completely. boyfriend comes outside and calls her and she went right to him.

he ruined a dog with a not so good personality (which was why i kept telling him to stop treating her that way she wasnt his other dog and i kept telling him what would happen but he didnt listen). she is great with people, but her personality is if you show her alot of attention and give her no rules she bonds to that person and then lives ,eats and breathes for that person..

how do i fix this? not the chasing the horse part , that is easy, a 2nd barrier fence is going up to put a few feet between the horses fence and i am hotwiring it.

how do i fix my gsd's severe attachment to the bf? or is it not going to happen? i do the training walking feeding, vet care etc.. i also play with her outside. but for some reason she prefers him since he does nothing but play with her and let her hang outside with him 24/7 when he is working outside. right now she is pacing from window to door trying to find him.. i am at a loss here, i cant have a dog not listen to me when it did before... yesterday she wouldnt come in to eat because he was outside.. so she didnt eat until 3 hours later when he brought her in ...

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
You sound exactly like my wife. Lol! My wife worked her tail off training Zoey, but she ended up bonding with me. I tried limiting my interactions with her and DW increased training/playing time with her, but in the end she is still bonded with me. The extra training/work seemed to get Zoey to listen to her again though. Our eventual cure for our problem was to get DW a male GSD!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have this problem with my male Shepherd (Duke).

He is SEVERELY attached to me and goes absolutely ballistic if I leave. I cannot even go to my car in the driveway without him going absolutely crazy. My g/f, better yet, living companion, cannot do anything to calm him down.

On top of that, Duke has a bark that is ear shattering. I have never in my life heard a dog bark in such a high pitched, abrasive, maniacal tone.

The culprit is pictured below. ImageUploadedByPG Free1367770149.791937.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont treat her like a littermate,which the bf does.. he puts no rules on her, no obedience, she can jump on people knock them down he doesnt reprimand her.. basically he allows her to do what she wants when she wants.. my tone is always upbeat, to her and the other 2 dogs (unless they do something wrong then its stern voice reprimanding them and removing them from the situation)
she used to listen to me fine as he used to work alot of overtime.. now that he isnt and is home more after work she prefers the party life partner who imposes no rules ...he totally spoils her 24/7.. he even taught my dog to beg at the table at dinner time, which i hate and taught himnot to do. since the bf did that now i put my dog away at dinner as he still doesnt listne to me and lets the dogs beg at dinertime, so to avoid an issue (my male is food aggressive) i put the dogs away at dinner and yelled at the bf about it) i dont spoil my dogs, they have rules they have to follow once they learn them and cant run around all willy nilly acting like idiots..

·
Registered
938 Posts
It sounds like you know exactly what needs to happen in terms of managing the dogs, the real issue is communicating better with your boyfriend.

I don't know what his learning style is, but I sometimes send my bf dog training blogs to read and it has helped a lot. He needed to hear it from a neutral third party and not me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i need to put an ecollar on the bf. seriously, i had a talk with him, he either stops putting the dogs in danger or we are going to have a serious problem and i mean it. i wont put my dogs lives in danger for anyone. so he was told to shape up or its a done deal

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is simular to how my female pup acts.
She is very attached to me, but does not like by bf much. Will not come when he calls her, or lksten to him. She acts scared and timid around him. He is getting very frustraged and doesnt know what to do.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
938 Posts
That is simular to how my female pup acts.
She is very attached to me, but does not like by bf much. Will not come when he calls her, or lksten to him. She acts scared and timid around him. He is getting very frustraged and doesnt know what to do.
Any thoughts?
How old is your pup? Do you know what her life was like from 5-12 weeks of age? That might help us figure out why she is acting this way. Has your bf been getting frustrated at HER or just privately?

·
Registered
2 Posts
She is 5 months . We have has her since she was 8 weeks, we had been visiting her and the whole litter since they were 4 weeks old, because the breeder was a friend, so we got to spend time with all the pups. Once I brought her home my bf was out of town a lot for work. Now that he is home the last fee months have been hard because she acts so scared of him, she will even pee when he calls her. He has gotten frustrated at her, but never did any reprimanding when she did something bad becsuse she was so timid around him. So I do all the reprimanding when she is naughty, and still she wants to be by me only. She will hide bdhind me when he callls her. We dont know what to do.

·
Registered
938 Posts
You might try having him feed her and always have treats on hand. Have him Give her something irresistible for approaching him. Most importantly, let her do this at her own pace. If she is acting timid after being called over and decides she has had too much, have him ignore her.

This might just be a phase or it might be a temperament issue. Hard to tell since this is just the Internet, but good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts