German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have recently started my search for a solid working-line GSD. I live in the Rockville, MD area and plan to get involved in obedience and IPO with the lucky pup. I've had my share of dogs and enjoyed them for their entire lifetimes, but I have always wanted a GSD...and now the time/location is right! Anyhow, I imagine I will meet some of your down the road at local events and such...I also posted a thread in "breeders" looking for suggestions.

Take care and have a good one!

Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Scott. I imagine others will know good breeders from your area, but I'm general is suggest getting involved with the club first, before the pup. They'll no doubt have good advice for local breeders who produce dogs with the right temperament for the sport.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Hi Scott. I imagine others will know good breeders from your area, but I'm general is suggest getting involved with the club first, before the pup. They'll no doubt have good advice for local breeders who produce dogs with the right temperament for the sport.
The only problem with this is that you will write off so many better prospect because too many clubs are locked into their own members selling puppies.....have seen trials where every dog is from one person, who hosts the club...have seen people go to a club and have their youngster dismissed and sold another dog - often a problematical one or one who is not nearly as nice as the one they started with....have seen terrible prospects pushed on newbies and experienced people because they knew nothing and they accepted a puppy that was recommended based on friendship.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The only problem with this is that you will write off so many better prospect because too many clubs are locked into their own members selling puppies.....have seen trials where every dog is from one person, who hosts the club...have seen people go to a club and have their youngster dismissed and sold another dog - often a problematical one or one who is not nearly as nice as the one they started with....have seen terrible prospects pushed on newbies and experienced people because they knew nothing and they accepted a puppy that was recommended based on friendship.
Yep!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts