German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wolfie likes to take the logs out of the woodpile and play with them when he's outside. Today, hubby noticed him making a line with the logs across the yard. Then he was sitting behind the line and staring at anyone that came by. Hubby says it's like some sort of message he's trying to tell us. Whatever it is, it's weird. I went out to take a few pics of his line. He messed up a couple when he saw me coming out. Can anyone decipher it? Do your GSD's make lines with things? He also makes piles of like things in the house. All the bones in one pile All the squeaky toys in another, etc..

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thats too funny! Smart little fella!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
you should teach him to bring them to the fire pit :)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you should teach him to bring them to the fire pit :)
Good idea! LOL We don't use a firepit, but we do use our indoor fireplace! Maybe he can haul a few loads inside for me!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I've seen something like this before. Let me see if I can find the video.

·
Registered
174 Posts
He is able to reason, since he can put like things together! The heiroglyphics, though, are beyond me--hopefully someone will have an insight into this behavior. He is such a good dog and so smart.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Your dog is smarter than mine. :) I've tried to get Niko to help me stack wood, but he thinks I want him to unstack the wood. For every couple pieces I stack, he removes one. He just places them randomly around the yard though.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Okay, I had to scroll back through several months of facebook updates to find it, but here it is.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Haha the line thing is curious, like he's making his own space (this is my line, don't cross it!!)

Rambo also groups his toys together though too. He'll drag them out of his kennel and stack rubber things together, and then the bones and chew things (like pig ears) I'll find in another pile behind a chair or something?? Haha, be funny to know what they're thinking sometimes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Okay, I had to scroll back through several months of facebook updates to find it, but here it is.

YouTube - Donny The Dog Genius
As a student of psychology this video really is amazing. It is impossible that the groupings are random, and he seems to generalize at an exceptional level (the arm around the other animal, etc) Very intriguing, I don't know what to make of it exactly.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The video is what Wolfie does, though not to that extent. He only puts like things together, and he only makes that line with the logs. The dog in the video is amazing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That video shows (to me) something beyond organizing things according to their category. He seems to be communicating his feelings and, yes, he does seem to be engaged in a sort of artistic expression. Donny is amazing. Going to watch his vid again!

That does not take away, though, from Wolfie's (to me) high order of intelligence and delightful, loveable personality, so do keep those Wolfie stories, pics, and vids coming!

Cecilia

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That video shows (to me) something beyond organizing things according to their category. He seems to be communicating his feelings and, yes, he does seem to be engaged in a sort of artistic expression. Donny is amazing. Going to watch his vid again!

That does not take away, though, from Wolfie's (to me) high order of intelligence and delightful, loveable personality, so do keep those Wolfie stories, pics, and vids coming!

Cecilia
Aww thanks. I sometimes feel like a pest, posting all the Wolfie stories. He just makes me laugh so much..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Love Wolfie stories! He is the comedic relief around here!! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Aww thanks. I sometimes feel like a pest, posting all the Wolfie stories. He just makes me laugh so much..
Wolfie stories make us all laugh. :)

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
I think the dobe was probably some type of circus performer, and was trained to put things in rows, etc. So I am a skeptic. But he was almost four years where no one knows what his past life was.

Now Cujo has been known to arrange his toys around the pet yard in the living room. We figured he was marking the baby (that plays in the pet yard) as his baby. Or, he is just interested in the baby and while he is checking her out, he drops his toys. Maybe he wants her to play with him and brings his toys over for her. Who knows what is in the minds of dogs?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
We all love Wolfie stories, I'm sure! I think it's pretty incredible that he lines the logs up. Or that dogs to anything with their toys other than scatter them about like Shasta does.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Wolfie you're one of a kind! :wub: Maybe he is signaling to the aliens :rofl:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
that wolfie is some character! Maybe he is telling you to burn 'these' logs first? Or don't burn these logs at all?

OR maybe he is part alien and he's trying to contact his outerspace relatives??

Whatever it is, it's to bad they can't talk !! they could tell us so much:)) Too funny

1 - 20 of 23 Posts