German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'll try to make this somewhat short. Recently my partner started working evenings instead of NOC. I work evenings also. So, before there was always someone home while one of us was out working our 8 hour shift. I do have a kennel for my pup, but I would hate to lock him up in a kennel 8 hours out of the day. I thought about leaving him outside all day because there is a lot of shade from our trees, but I would be afraid he would attempt to dig himself out. He does dig on occasion in one spot where our garden was and another spot in the corner by the fence. Before I have to choose one of those options due to him chewing things up while we are away. Is there any type of training that I can do with him to help him with what I think is separation anxiety? I have pulled several things from the counters, tables, ect...things I thought he would be interested in and he still manages to find something to chew up...I leave him with bones to chew on and he chews on them for a little I assume because they are chewed on, but still goes for random objects that are no no's. Any advice?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
There are many people (myself included) who work full time and crate their dogs for 8 hours a day. With my young puppy, I stop home on my lunch break halfway through the day to let her out. It is much safer for your dog to be crated during the day than outside trying to escape or loose in the house and destroying things that may harm him.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I used to use something my vet gave me called "Rescue Remedy"; it's a liquid that you can put a few drops into the food/water bowl or onto treats. I put it in with the peanut butter in a chew toy. I also used essential oils on his paws.

That only lasted a couple months. Now all I do is block off our upstairs (litterboxes are up there... he loves those kitty krunchies!), I make sure all the windows have the miniblinds up so he can see out the window, I either leave the tv or radio on just for some background noise. And thats it.
Saturday our 4 hour trip turned into a 6 hour trip due to car problems... when we got home there wasn't a thing out of place, nothing was broke or chewed up.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Are you exercising him before work? Have you tried crating him? Can you dog proof a room and put him in there?

It sounds like very minor anxiety and possibly just boredom so it should be easy to address. Try to up the mental and physical exercise (wear him out) and start getting him used to the crate (if he isn't already). He should be fine in the crate for that long if he is out the rest of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is fine with the crate. He will go in there and lay down on his own because I leave the door open for him. Maybe you're right on the boredom. I will up his exercise by increasing the distance of our walks and play longer with him. Today before I left I hid treats around the house and out in the yard to give him a little something to do while I'm away. I also stuffed his kong full of liver treats. Gave him another bone to add to his 4. I took everything once more that I thought he would find edible and put them away. Closed the bedroom doors and bathroom door. We will see what today brings when I get home.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts