German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As in everything my hubby and I do, we look for a house that the dogs would love and a car that the dogs would love :)

We ended up with a 3/4 ton Chevy truck with a camper shell but my favorite is my Ford Sport trak with camper shell.

The interior is super easy to clean to the dog fur (leather seats plus no carpet anywhere!). But what I love the most is that the back window has electric controls. So when the dogs are in the camper shell in the back (with body harnesses and on a "run" we can lower the back window so they can travel with us! We did put wire mesh on the windows of the camper shell so that no one would stick their hand in there or they would not spook someone. The back is super easy to clean and just hose off.

What are you driving? :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Suburban, probably forever specially with 3 dogs. Don't think anything else is big enough.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you want a fun car to drive, the 2010 Subaru Impreza/WRX/STi 5 door hatch is very nice.

the rear seats fold flat and leave alot of room. Plus its all wheel drive so you have that much more stability and traction in bad weather.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Toyota Matrix wagon. The back seat folds down for a surprisingly large amount of room and the thing gets 36mpg. That's important because I do a lot of transport for the rescue and need good gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I had a Chevy HHR - cool styling, economical, back seats fold flat. Bought it specifically to be a dog vehicule.

Worked GREAT and met all my needs for a while, until I got a second dog:

Hmmm . . . Getting a bit cramped in there.

So with two dogs, and looking for big crates to fit, and the dogs being in the car all day when at Schutzhund training, traded in the cute little HHR for a Toyota wagon (used):

(Pic from on-line source)

It's dang ugly, but the dogs LOVE all that space, room for LARGE, EXTRA LARGE CRATES, and I will certainly appreciate the AWD come winter.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We love the Nissan Titan four door. The back seats fold up and the two dogs can compeltely stand up or completely lay down. It has been the mode of transportion for when the dogs "get to go"!

·
2,967 Posts
Expedition, Extended Edition :) Four crates, gear, and 2 people. Love it for all the distance driving we have to do.

·
2,967 Posts
Does anyone drive a Ford Escape? I've been looking at those but I'm not sure if two crates would fit.
Our other car is a Mercury Mariner which is basically the same thing. You cannot fit 2 crates side by side. You can turn them sideways and fit a 500 and a 400, so one dog goes out the side door, but then when you get where you are going you have to turn the back crate towards the rear to get the dog out. And there is NO room for anything else. If I ahve to bring 2 dogs in that car I usually just put in the one crate and have the other dog ride loose in the rear cargo space.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I drive a 2001 Toytoa Camry trying cram three dogs in there is not fun for me or the pups lol.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Jeep Patriot.
Can fit 2-36inch crates sideways and still have the front passenger seat open.
Fold flat seats, luggage rack, 26-28mpg which is super-nice. I like the "look."

Does not have a lot of get-up-and-go for city driving or merging, but for the price and mileage I am quite happy.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
For training I drive a 4 door GMC Sierra, too much gas $ than I like to spend, though it fits everything nicely.
I am looking for a small used SUV that will fit an 800 varikennel-instead of my daily drive, a Monte Carlo.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have a o6 Chevy LTZ Blazer..fit's the gsd and two aussies pretty well. I can definately fit two crates in it (seats fold down).

The hubby drives the Chevy Venture Van, and if I'm really going all out with 3 crates and such, I use that..great on gas, but I am partial to my Blazer:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts