German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, its been a while since I have been on the forums. We are very pleased with how our handsome boy has turned out. He gets smarter and more handsome everyday.

I was just accepted to the Sherman College of Chiropractic in Spartanburg South Carolina. We just visited (dog in tow!) and love the area and the school. Our one issue has been finding a place to live. We are waiting to hear back on a rental home but are trying to find an apartment complex to fall back on since our lease here in Iowa is up on the 31st of this month. We would like to move shortly after.

We have so far found NO apartment complexes that accept German Shepherds and I am becoming increasingly frustrated. Hoping some of our members are from the area or know of people who are and can help us find a reasonable complex!

We need a 2 or 3 bed unit and could pay up to $1000/month before utilities and other fees (pet, garage, etc.). This budget seems very workable in the area so that's not our problem, just the whole "restricted breed" nonsense. We are looking in Spartanburg and Boiling Springs, would consider going farther to Greer or Greenville if absolutely necessary.

Any help much appreciated! I will post some updated pictures of our furball soon.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I live between Greenville and Spartanburg and will ask some folks on my team. I think the odds are better of getting a rental home......several are in that area. I will also ask two former teammates who went to USC Upstate where they rented; they had a doberman AND a malinois and had an apartment near the university.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jocoyn!

We mostly want an apartment backup so we can sign a short lease in case we can't find a house that suites our needs well enough and need to keep looking. Along with having a GSD our other house challenges include the high curbs to protect against all the rain and having boa constrictors. The curbs are too high for our lowered show car and the snakes are not covered under some homeowners insurance policies. Very excited to be in the area but very worn out from the search.

Here are some recent pictures of our Rommel.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
steer clear of apartment complexes if you have dogs or value privacy. who wants to live like in the projects anyways? i'm a renter 'cause i'm too broke to own a home but i stick to duplexes with a backyard. when i need a place i find it best to drive around desired neighborhoods and write down numbers from all the for rent signs. cheaper then an agent and less competition than through craigslist.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would rather stay away from apartment complexes but since we don't know the area very well we don't really know what neighborhoods are good or not. To top it off we live 1000 miles away so driving around looking isn't really an option. All in all this is an incredibly stressful move. So far we haven't found a single place that allows a GSD and has a driveway the car can get into. Really those are the only two requirements other than it being reasonably decent.

I talked to a rental company today and they said that in the area all of the insurance companies except one prohibit GSD's along with the other common ones like pitbulls and rottweilers. Maybe that's inaccurate but it seems to be the general consensus so far.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts