German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am a new member to this board, so I'll start by saying that I have been a proud GSD owner for almost 6 years now. I rescued Samson when he was a pup of 3 months old. He was found behind a local grocery store rummaging through their outside garbage area. I used to intern for the City of Evansville and found myself helping out at the local animal shelter. Samson was brought in on a day when the kennels were full up, so I told the person who brought him in to just leave him with me. We formed an instant bond. Wherever I went, he went.

Since the kennel was at capacity, I told the supervisor that I would take this puppy home with me (I rented a nice house with a big yard) and if the owners called or came looking I would bring him back...they never did. Anyhow, almost 6 years later, and I can say that Samson truly is my best friend.

This brings me to the topic of my post. I may be moving out of the house I live in and going to school up in Indianapolis. I have searched many of the sites for "pet-friendly" apartments, but to this date am having a bit of trouble finding anywhere that doesn't have the stereotypical "breed restrictions" asterisk in it's description.

I am not going to give up my dog just because GSDs have been lumped into the "aggresive breeds" category. He is the biggest baby. Good with children and cats.

Do any of you live in the Indianapolis area? Any stories or suggestions? I am very discouraged by what I've come across so far in my search.

Thanks
Dorian (and Samson)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Welcome dorianmoore. I'm in Indy, but own a home- so not sure I can help you much on that. I did want to let you know that while apartment complexes certainly can have their own rules, the city of Indianapolis does not have BSL. There is a dangerous dog law, but it is not breed specific. Just a quick google search did not turn up the actual .gov site, but this news story gets it basically correct: Indy Dangerous Animal Ordinance Passes - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Anyhow- I would strongly recommend you get ahold of some of the fine folks at Indy Pit Crew as they deal with issues like these on a regular basis for pitbull type animals. Not to mention- there will be a really fun march downtown on the 22nd for National Pitbull Awareness day, with at least one (uhem... super awesome) GSD in attendance. :)

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Also a homeowner, but when I was thinking of doing the apt thing vs buying a house several years ago, I spent a long time calling every apartment in the city finding out their breed policy. Somewhere I may still have that list but it's not on this computer.

However, my point in posting is that there were a TON of GSD friendly apt's but you have to actually get on the phone and talk to them. Start making lists of every apartment in the area you're looking at, and get their number and call them. Don't bother trying to do this online, most of the breed bias lists aren't online (some are, but it's unusual) and most of those apt sites aren't updated very frequently so size, weight, and breed restrictions change at teh drop of a hat.

And don't let anyone tell you that if you get your dog its CGC or make a "portfolio" of all the dogs nice behavior, the apt will change their mind from non GSD friendly to GSD friendly. Basically every apt around here is not small privately owned apt. They all have major insurance and typically, it's the insurance that doesn't allow the breeds listed. So if they say GSD's aren't allowed, just say thanks and goobye. I had a list of at least 10 - 15 different ones that allowed them, and I was only looking in areas on the north to northeast side of Indpls and some in Fishers/Noblesville.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts