German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
definately maxed out with dogs but think i have about 2 high drive dogs left in me long term, my last two will almost certainly be gsd's given the planets all align at the right time. but just for giggles can anyone tell me about what a dobe is all about, i understand the common opinion is they are no longer considered a working dog yada, yada.

they as i understand along with the mastiff are the only two breeds historically bought into existence purely for ppd.

generally hear them described as goofy, silly, untrainable to a high level, never heard too much negative about health so much.

i find them incredibly striking looking dogs, so sad they lack credibility.

can anyone share any info about the breed as a working dog??

cheers any info.

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
generally hear them described as goofy, silly, untrainable to a high level, never heard too much negative about health so much.

i find them incredibly striking looking dogs, so sad they lack credibility.

can anyone share any info about the breed as a working dog??

cheers any info.
I've had three Dobes, and was involved with Dobe rescue for several years.

When I had my first Dobe, my trainer said "with Goldens you pattern, with shepherds you train, with Dobes you negotiate". That about sums it up. They are easily bored during training. If you are boring, then you are in trouble training a Doberman. I don't think it's a good breed for a first time dog owner. They will outsmart you if you aren't on your toes.

There are health issues in the breed. Cardiomyopathy. Von Willebrands. Wobblers. There is a longevity program available through the DPCA, if your dog lives to 10 years or longer. I've personally had two Dobermans that were 14 years old.

They ARE goofy and silly and clingy and vigilant. Temperaments used to be a big problem years ago. Some really sharp dogs. There was a dog that was imported from Germany in the late 1930's that went Best in Show at Westminster. Ferry reportedly was unable to be touched by the BIS judge, and at the age of 6 was found beaten to death (supposedly by a kennel worker). That temperament plagued the Dobe for many years. Probably where the stupid myth came from - you know, where Doberman's brains get too big for its skull, and then it turns on its owner. I have actually had 2 people tell me this. Seriously???? :eek:

As a working dog? They do the same thing GSDs do - guide dogs, narcotic detection, tracking, search and rescue, etc etc. I assume the comment about lack of credibility is the same old argument you see on this forum about working dogs vs show dogs.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
much much harder to find a good dobe than a good gsd, the original dobe that was created as a true protection dog doesnt exist now. They fold under pressure very easy, much more easy than a shepherd. You will never get your hands on a dobe that can do what your current shepherd can do because if one exists those people are never going to let it go.

They make nice pets, some are VERY high energy some not. They seem very velco like and the ones my cousin has are german working lines very biddable also for him. Attached to him at the hip. No space. lol Like a siamese cat but only a dog in that way. They are smart dogs but not as smart as a gsd. Again not a true protection dog that you can depend on for real like certain gsds are. JMHO

I have seen a few very nice ones in psa but those ones will never be let go or available to the public. They seem to be very extreme in temperament like gsd's but not that excessive. More of a pet or a trophy dog not a practical dog for serious protection use.

·
Registered
334 Posts
We had a Dobe he passed from VWD we got him off kijiji so yes they can have health issues they can also have hip and elbow issues just like GSD there are still working line Dobes not like the one I had mine was Euro but not working but they are usually imported from Europe "European Dobermann's" are the type of dog I believe you are looking for here is a link to one of my favourite breeders howver I am sure there are a few more out there you want a Euro Dobe not an American one

Ruger Euro Dobe 7 months

Altobello Dobermann Kennel - Home of natural born champions

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
if you are looking for another ppd best luck is to get a female gsd, if you still plan on doing all that muzzle work and crowd control and all that other stuff you want to do the dobe is not the dog for you trust me. Mal would be a step up if you can handle one and willing to put in more time but better to stick with gsd's.

Just because a dog is "working line" does not mean anything.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers interesting thanks for comments, could not handle going thru the type of research effort again that i have indulged in since being involved with the gsd - no person should have to do that for two breeds. not saying my knowledge is anywhere near complete but i aint no newb no more.

if i did go away from gsd it would not be a mal, strangely when i started i was looking for a mal/ds and ended up with a gsd and am happy as can be. i would for pure work purposes consider a rott tho, i know that good ones still exist and are relatively easily to find - not saying they would compete against a herder for sport but for the type of work i do which is mainly boring, undemanding low energy work 90% of the time i think a rott would actually do well.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
rottie is all show and scare and looks

Again if you are looking for a dog that you REALLY need to bite and fight/rip/crunch (life death situations) for real the gsd and mal are pretty much what you are going to get best luck in. Most rotties go into avoidence very easy. They are scary as **** but they are easy for a decoy to just shut down. They dont go into that fight drive the way a mal and gsds do. 30 years ago with rotties this was not the case those rotties were monsters. But they almost dont exist today just like the dobie.

You can test it out yourself. In my training i get to see european line rotties and dobies train in pp sometimes, they never ever get the same amount of pressure put on the way my dog is treated. Its just the rotties look more terrifying than mine. ALl these dogs have had the same amount of training experience many had a lot more years ahead of mine.

There was some very bad ass scary rotties back in the day that were very tough but if such ones exist today people hold onto them and will never ship them out or sell them.

Plenty of good mals out there still to be sold. If u do ever want mal go for the belgian line ones. The ones i see from those lines seem more aggressive and serious compared to the french line ones. JMHO.

If you just want a sentry dog just pick up some kind of nasty temper huge scary mastiff banddog of any breed that is mastiff in type. If you are not planning on having to rely on it in defending you for real and just want a show. If you really do need the dog to have your back then gsd and mal only be realistic. Go with what police/military/prisons are using.

IVe seen the odd mal gsd cross also.

It is fun to watch, but i do not plan on handling or owning or going very close to any of those dogs ever. Except a gsd.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had three Dobes, and was involved with Dobe rescue for several years.

When I had my first Dobe, my trainer said "with Goldens you pattern, with shepherds you train, with Dobes you negotiate". That about sums it up. They are easily bored during training. If you are boring, then you are in trouble training a Doberman. I don't think it's a good breed for a first time dog owner. They will outsmart you if you aren't on your toes.

There are health issues in the breed. Cardiomyopathy. Von Willebrands. Wobblers. There is a longevity program available through the DPCA, if your dog lives to 10 years or longer. I've personally had two Dobermans that were 14 years old.

They ARE goofy and silly and clingy and vigilant. Temperaments used to be a big problem years ago. Some really sharp dogs. There was a dog that was imported from Germany in the late 1930's that went Best in Show at Westminster. Ferry reportedly was unable to be touched by the BIS judge, and at the age of 6 was found beaten to death (supposedly by a kennel worker). That temperament plagued the Dobe for many years. Probably where the stupid myth came from - you know, where Doberman's brains get too big for its skull, and then it turns on its owner. I have actually had 2 people tell me this. Seriously???? :eek:

As a working dog? They do the same thing GSDs do - guide dogs, narcotic detection, tracking, search and rescue, etc etc. I assume the comment about lack of credibility is the same old argument you see on this forum about working dogs vs show dogs.
Excellent post. I agree with all. I consider Dobermans the most beautiful dog breed.

much much harder to find a good dobe than a good gsd, the original dobe that was created as a true protection dog doesnt exist now. They fold under pressure very easy, much more easy than a shepherd. You will never get your hands on a dobe that can do what your current shepherd can do because if one exists those people are never going to let it go.

They make nice pets, some are VERY high energy some not. They seem very velco like and the ones my cousin has are german working lines very biddable also for him. Attached to him at the hip. No space. lol Like a siamese cat but only a dog in that way. They are smart dogs but not as smart as a gsd. Again not a true protection dog that you can depend on for real like certain gsds are. JMHO

I have seen a few very nice ones in psa but those ones will never be let go or available to the public. They seem to be very extreme in temperament like gsd's but not that excessive. More of a pet or a trophy dog not a practical dog for serious protection use.
That is incorrect. As a matter of fact, GSD were bred indiscriminately for generations. Since Dobermans never reached their popularity, they did not suffer from overbreeding to that extend. (Rottweilers were also bred by millions). Dobermans have inherited diseases but so are GSD and most large breeds. The so called German bloodline dogs are sharper, sometimes more aggressive. But current American bloodlines are more docile and make better pets. As for the "original dog" - GSD history is even more convoluted. It can said with much certainty that the dog Max von Stephanitz created, does not exist today as well.

As for working dogs here is an interesting read:
why dobermans are different

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
go to dobermantalk.com. many very knowledgeable people that can give you insight. There are many good Doberman's out there that have what it takes for protection. Stay away from anything "warlock".

Velcro - Dobe's are TRUE velcro dogs. GSDs will be near you wherever you go..Dobe lean on you.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a 3 year old dobe, he is VERY high energy, he spent the first 18 months of his life airborne and when he landed, it was onto someone or something! He is super friendly with legitimate visitors to the house, had a booming bark and is pretty aloof with people we meet out and about.
He is very friendly with friendly dogs, but if a dog shows him any aggression then he will retaliate, so I need a good recall and to be very careful, he's a huge, powerful dog..
He has been a dream to train, just seems to want to do it without question, whereas my GSD has pushed the limits and questioned whether she has to a few times. Might not be the breed standard but certainly my experience.. I'd say he'd be a breeze to train for any job as he's so willing to please..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
we have obviously been looking at different rottweilers :eek:
Are there good ones in Aussie? My TD breeds Rotties, hers are amazing. All her breeding stock is SchH 3, one of her old males went out for the World team years ago. She even has a K9 academy that is eager to put a dog from her line on the streets. Her lines are solid and a **** of a lot tougher than *most of the GSD's I have seen so far in SchH. So, I would say there are still "old school" rotties out there. As well as Dobes.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have seen some nasty ones, struggle in our heat tho. i doubt they would be run off by a decoy in a hurry, very territorial and defensive/protecive of the handler.

same dogs tho i doubt would title without a LOT of really good training, more than we could typically provide here.

their sphere of interest sems too short a distance i believe for sport, and they seem genetically possessive to a high/extreme degree, i would not try take a sleeve off one when some of the rotties i seen are laying on it, slobberring all over it and tearing it to pieces in the ground - they can keep the dam sleeve.

one guys rott here found a diamond ring lost for days in a sea side rock wall, the owner had a big reward and many cops and detection folks got on the media bandwagon to be the first to find it with their mals, gsd, springers, metal detectors...., they all failed, the rott found it after a long search, the experts said it was pure luck??

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been told here in MN never to buy a Doberman locally because so many of them have OCD disorder and other things like that. :( Too bad because they were a solid breed back in the day and so smart!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a 3 year old dobe, he is VERY high energy, he spent the first 18 months of his life airborne and when he landed, it was onto someone or something! He is super friendly with legitimate visitors to the house, had a booming bark and is pretty aloof with people we meet out and about.
He is very friendly with friendly dogs, but if a dog shows him any aggression then he will retaliate, so I need a good recall and to be very careful, he's a huge, powerful dog..
He has been a dream to train, just seems to want to do it without question, whereas my GSD has pushed the limits and questioned whether she has to a few times. Might not be the breed standard but certainly my experience.. I'd say he'd be a breeze to train for any job as he's so willing to please..

I so love to see a dobe with natural ears/tail.......he is just gorgeous.... :wub:

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I'm actually shopping dobe breeders right now! :) I have one in particular I'm looking at, they do Schutzhund, obedience and conformation with their dogs. All health-tests too of course.

Just like with GSDs, there are good breeders and bad breeders. Just takes a bit of shopping around to find them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts