German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much does the average dog eat in a day? how many meals is that? thanks tyler

·
Super Moderator
7,382 Posts
depends on age, size, activity level, brand of dog food, and what you consider "average".

to me, "average" would be a 3yr old 75lb male with a moderate activity level eating a high quality kibble, i'd guess - 3 cups a day (divided into 2 feedings)

whatever the bag says is a good place to start, then adjust your feedings accordingly.

if you look in the diet/nutrition forum, there is tons of info there as well.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Great answer!

My 62lb, 9 month old female eats 2 2/3 cups a day (split into 2 meals.) My 10yo female eats a little less than that.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would definitely use the feeding guidelines on the bag as a starting point.
Different brands can vary quite a bit in their recommendations, based on their formula. I had mine on Solid Gold at one point, which called for 5 cups a day, switched them to Wellness which called for 3 - 3 1/2. So it really depends on the food and the dog.

Gunner is 6 years old, pretty active, and he's eating just over 3 cups a day (kibble and canned, combined) now, split into two meals.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dante is almost 5, pretty quiet this winter, Nature's Logic 2 to 2.5 cups a day split into 2 meals

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:I would definitely use the feeding guidelines on the bag as a starting point.
IMO, those guidelines can't be trusted for several reasons.
1) We're a culture that grossly over feeds (& eats!)
2) Chubby dogs are seen as desirable. Even many vets have lost sight of what a lean, healthy canine weight is.
3) They're in the business of selling dog food, the more the better.

·
Super Moderator
7,382 Posts
Originally Posted By: RubyTuesday
Quote:I would definitely use the feeding guidelines on the bag as a starting point.
IMO, those guidelines can't be trusted for several reasons.
1) We're a culture that grossly over feeds (& eats!)
2) Chubby dogs are seen as desirable. Even many vets have lost sight of what a lean, healthy canine weight is.
3) They're in the business of selling dog food, the more the better.
everything you said is true, but as a starting point it cant hurt - you'll know in a week if your dog is gaining or losing weight. from my personal experience, my dogs maintain good weights give or take less than 1/4cu the suggested amount. its really a matter of calories... one bag says 5 cups, another says 2, but the calories are generally pretty close to the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts