8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day ladies and gents,

I have 4 dogs:

Lady a GSD [female]
Onyx a GSD [male]
Bella Border Collie [female]
Yorkie [male]

For years the Bella was the top dog in our house all the other dogs moved away from the food when she was near, when she just showed teeth they will run away or kinda bow down to her. Now Lady is turning almost 3 years old and suddenly, since this weekend, she has been extremely aggressive towards Bella. When they play outside and we are not near both of them will be on opposite sides of the yard, but when I go outside, both of the dogs walk towards me and Lady's hair on her back raises and she starts to show teeth and Bella starts to growl.

And then for the rest of the time when either of them gets near to one another hair starts raising, teeth comes out and growling starts. If I am not fast enough to distract them, they attack each other.

Our youngest boy Onyx is not even 2 yet, and when they start he runs away to me...

Any solution for this ?

My hope is that Onyx will grow up fast and put them both in their place. But that is also doubtful as he is our little goofball..

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Onyx is not going to challenge the bitches. No. He's a good boy & knows not to mess with those two. Lady is becoming a mature bitch & it sounds like she's challenging the queen. Your solution is to rotate the bitches. That would be safest. Otherwise, you will have a big management problem that I've not had to cope with. My bitch duos have always known and respected their rankings - but for the most part, I haven't had a guy around for them to posture for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So am I understanding the rotating correctly? Does this mean closing off the yard for a certain amount of hours with Onyx and Bella on one side and then thereafter put Bella one side and let Lady out to be with Onyx ?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I would not spend time distracting dogs that are showing signs of aggression to your other dogs. This seems to have been brewing for awhile. If you hope to keep them together, you might want to consider strong corrections for every act of aggression. That won't work for all dogs but it will for others, especially softer dogs. Strong obedience of a few commands such as a down/stay under distraction can be your friend.

Are these dogs spayed? Some say that will help. IF this is female female aggression, it is usually rooted in what they perceive as crowding and a lack of space. Many females that exhibit female female aggression at home are fine with other females out side of their space.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of the females have been spayed already. This is very recent behaviour. They had a relationship that worked for the past almost 3 years. And now suddenly they and especially Lady is extremely aggresive . Bella the BC is only defending herself though.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Both of the females have been spayed already. This is very recent behaviour. They had a relationship that worked for the past almost 3 years. And now suddenly they and especially Lady is extremely aggresive . Bella the BC is only defending herself though.
Bella is defending herself from a situation that she created, and you allowed. She is a bully.

So here is what you need to know. You have three dogs that potentially have strong working genetics. You need to be the boss, not your dogs. BC's don't tend to be noisy or territorial, the fact that she is being both indicates misplaced or unused drive. Neither breed is a couch potato pet, both need clear consistent rules and an outlet for their drive, energy and intelligence.
Your Yorkie is in serious trouble if he ever gets caught in the crossfire, you need to be vigilant about that.
Your male is never going to put the girls in their place, nor should he. It would be against nature for a male to go after a female.
The females may never get along now so read up on crate and rotate. It's a lifestyle, and one that is not for everyone.
Step up your training and management. Find a good trainer who knows working dogs and get to work.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
Dogs fight for breeding rights, bitches fight for breathing rights.
Bitches mean stitches.

There is a reason for the above sayings.

Once the aggression has started, it will only escalate. Your GSD has reached maturity and has decided she has had enough of the BC’s bullying and that she, Lady, will rule the roost.

You will have to keep them away from one another, meaning, crate and rotate, or rehome one. Otherwise, it is very likely that they will try to kill one another, and the Border Collie will lose because she’s smaller.
And, no, the male won’t help. He knows better than to get into that.
And for all that’s good, please, keep the Yorkie away.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Bitches are ok with each other until they aren't. Once they aren't, never trust them. This is why I don't like selling a bitch pup to someone with a young bitch. There is no way to know at 8 weeks or 8 months or 18 months that you are going to have this problem. It can crop up ANY TIME. Isn't that nice.

Today I had Kaiah, Uzzi, Hepsi, and Cujo2 running together. I heard the girls squabbling a little and checked (I was cleaning kennels), but they were fine. Sometimes two bitches are ok, but when you add a third, one gets picked on. I will let this group run and play together, but I break them into two pairs when I can't supervise, Cujo2 with Uzzi -- he's neutered, and she's about 18 months old now. And Hepsi, who is going to be nine in March with Kaiah who just turned one about a month ago.

This grouping works. But if I put all four together, which also seems to work, and it suddenly doesn't, then they will need to be separated, the two bitches that do get along. Still possible though. Bitches can suddenly decide the other doesn't need to be alive. l

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to also mention that Lady is extremely jealous...

I always try and give them each the same attention, but when Lady sees me just patting Onyx she will ran into him and tackle him.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
These dogs need way more rules and discipline. I would never EVER allow either of my dogs to tackle the other dog or even make a fuss when I’m petting one and not the other. That would be stopped in it’s tracks immediately in my home. You have allowed these dogs to bully and harass each other and run the house, so why are you surprised that there are now problems? I would work on serious obedience with all of your dogs, keep the females separated, and keep the yorkie well out of the way.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Your male is NOT going to take top place. Your female GSD is hitting maturity and you are going to have issues. Crate and rotate. You will have two separate packs.

Welcome to the life of having more than one female.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
These dogs need way more rules and discipline. I would never EVER allow either of my dogs to tackle the other dog or even make a fuss when I’m petting one and not the other. That would be stopped in it’s tracks immediately in my home. You have allowed these dogs to bully and harass each other and run the house, so why are you surprised that there are now problems? I would work on serious obedience with all of your dogs, keep the females separated, and keep the yorkie well out of the way.
Great advice. Observe Bella and Lady's behavior keenly. Immediately correct a stare, even if it's for a moment. That's the first intimidating signal. High time for you to step in and for you to decide who does what, where and when. Do you work them all? Even the Yorky needs his share of training and work. Is he getting along with the male?

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
Great advice. Observe Bella and Lady's behavior keenly. Immediately correct a stare, even if it's for a moment. That's the first intimidating signal. High time for you to step in and for you to decide who does what, where and when. Do you work them all? Even the Yorky needs his share of training and work. Is he getting along with the male?
In my opinion, they should be separated if they have already been fighting.
I have a friend whose daughter moved back in with her for a while, and they own mother/daughter bitches. They were fine living together before, but in the meantime the daughter had turned two... they started fighting, and the fights have gotten so bad that they have to literally keep them from even seeing one another. Seeing one another results in attacks.
It is not fun. Once, my friend’s husband let the mother dog out without knowing that the daughter dog was already in the yard. Very ugly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts