German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to say!! We got our Killian from Sherle from Sequoyah!! I will tell you, we've had him for a few months, and its AWESOME having Sherle available to us with her veterinary and training knowledge. We call her all the time to get her advice. She always gets back with us and LOVES photos of her pups as they grow. Its pretty awesome that your gonna use the same breeder that has been AMAZING for us!! We actually had a deposit on Killian for a little over two years. She kept in contact with us the whole time. Uny is Killians Momma and I met her, and she is a wonderful and beautiful female. I just think its awesome. Sorry. Had to share!!

-Victoria

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I no longer have a deposit on a Sequoyah litter. I'm going with another breed.

She's a nice, but busy person. It's cool that she's a vet and a breeder.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I hope you have experience with Husky's. Incredible high energy and very hard to train, from what i've observed.
Why yes I do have some experience with the husky breed. My last dog was a siberian husky. They're really not hard to train, especially if you're strong minded and determined. It's also true they get bored easily.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Why yes I do have some experience with the husky breed. My last dog was a siberian husky. They're really not hard to train, especially if you're strong minded and determined. It's also true they get bored easily.
GSD Fan I must have missed a thread, have you decided to get another husky?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I love the look of Huskies, tempted to get one(once I am on my own), but not sure if I can handle them.lol.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I've had both. For me the GSD's have been much easier to train. Husky's give "like to run" a whole new meaning.
My sister wanted a Husky, but I highly doubt she could handle it. If I lived where one of my aunt lives I would have a husky they would tons of room, and snow so we could go sledding.

But I prefer GSDs. There was a husky at my shelter who was rather calm for his breed.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Our obedience director at the local obedience club has 2 (used to be 3 but her old female recently passed) Huskys, a male and his sister, and they are extremely well trained and calm friendly dogs. Both of them like to come right up and nuzzle you if given a chance! Also good with the other dogs in the club.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I took a look at the Sequoyah website. Boy, am I glad you gave us a nudge with this thread! Was in a hurry, but noted that some of her females are good at herding sheep!!! They also sounded lilke they have good, sound temperaments. They were sweet and steady, but protective, like my Wilhoit, whom I lost recently. I've got her kennel on my list of kennels to investigate when I'm ready for another dog. Thank you!

Cecilia

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I really liked this site when GSD Fan first posted it. I thought it would be one worth looking into further. Glad to hear the OP is happy with them!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, Killian ha injured his jaw and I was extremely disappointedd how our vet handled it and I called Cheryl and she advised me to find a new vet, told me what tests to recommend and we found a new amazing vet and Killian is better!! Also when he was having problems with the runs she sent a script to the local Walgreens for us to pick up for him. She is always there to help! I'm very glad we picked Sequoyah!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I hope you have experience with Husky's. Incredible high energy and very hard to train, from what i've observed.
I had two huskies in the past and found them incredibly difficult to train, if not borderline impossible. I'm finding it incredibly easy to train my GSD pup, but my huskies seemed almost untrainable.

Don't get me wrong, they would listen to everything I said while inside, but at no point in their lives could I ever trust them outside without a leash. In fact, I had to be very careful about even opening the front door because they would very quickly sneak out if they got the chance. Once they got out, it was like they forgot I existed. They would run as far as possible. I don't know how many times I spent 4-5 hours chasing one of my dogs after she got loose (usually because one of my idiot brothers weren't careful enough with the front door).

I love huskies, but because they are so hard to train, I doubt I'll ever get another one.

I don't find them any more energetic than GSD's though. I do find they shed ten times as much though. Despite what people say about GSD's, they don't shed 365 days a year, at least not like huskies. In the middle of winter I could pull a handful of fur off my huskies without her even noticing I was doing it.

They are such beautiful dogs though

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yea, Killian ha injured his jaw and I was extremely disappointedd how our vet handled it and I called Cheryl and she advised me to find a new vet, told me what tests to recommend and we found a new amazing vet and Killian is better!! Also when he was having problems with the runs she sent a script to the local Walgreens for us to pick up for him. She is always there to help! I'm very glad we picked Sequoyah!!
That kind of help is just about priceless. Thank you for letting us know. Glad to hear Killian is better. His coat in those new pics you posted is beautiful and shiny--somone is taking good care of him!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We only give him the best but he isn't "spoiled rotten" spoiled. Just spoiled with love and the best of the things he gets! <3

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I thought you only had that puppy for 4 days? Or was there another one that you had longer?

Huskies can be notoriously difficult and touchy. They can be very sensitive, yet strong willed and determined. They can be difficult to keep in a fenced yard, often difficult to really trust off leash, stubborn and hard headed. They are smart but require an experienced and dedicated leader to train and socialize them. Have you had actual experience with adult (2 - 3 yrs of age and up) huskies?

I hope you know what you are in for. If you do, I wish you the best of luck! They are a beautiful breed, but having dealt with one too many of them over the years - not a breed I would ever own.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just had to say!! We got our Killian from Sherle from Sequoyah!! I will tell you, we've had him for a few months, and its AWESOME having Sherle available to us with her veterinary and training knowledge. We call her all the time to get her advice. She always gets back with us and LOVES photos of her pups as they grow. Its pretty awesome that your gonna use the same breeder that has been AMAZING for us!! We actually had a deposit on Killian for a little over two years. She kept in contact with us the whole time. Uny is Killians Momma and I met her, and she is a wonderful and beautiful female. I just think its awesome. Sorry. Had to share!!

-Victoria
Sherle and her assistant Shari are great to work with. We got our four year old female from her - we're actually Rennie's second home because the original owners returned her for some reason. We can't figure out why they didn't keep Rennie because she's been a wonderful, healthy, trouble free dog. We also spent a lot of time talking to Sherle when we were looking for our male puppy and the only reason we didn't get one from her was because of the wait.

I saw pictures of Killian in your other thread and when I saw her coat I immediately wondered whether Uny was her mother! We spent enough time visiting Sequoyah to recognize some of their dogs. Killian is a good looking pup and if Quasi is his father you've got a pretty nice dog!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts