German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, our 1 year old GSD Smedley has had a problem with his ear tips for the last 4 months or so. We took him to the local Vet and they were not much help. His ear tips are crusty and hard and in some places small parts have fallen off. He also scratches behind his front legs between his belly and chest area and nibbles/bites above his front paws. So far no blood has appeared around the tips of his ears and oddly enough does not scratch his ears either. What could this be, is it maybe ear tip vasculitis where not enough blood gets to the extremities ? And could changing his diet to raw only and no grain/kibble help ? Right now he eats a mixture of kibble with raw food. We give him Royal Canin GSD puppy kibble and just regular raw ground beef. Thank you for any help.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Did the vet do a scraping to look for mites?It might possibly be mange too,both are easily treated.I'm no expert but that's the first two things I would suspect.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do the areas smell of yeast?
Any food allergies would be addressed by a good raw diet. And add 50mls of apple cider vinegar to a 4L bucket for drinking source helps skin issues.
Try 1 single protein. If ok, then try another. Leave chicken till last as a common issue in protein allergies.
Maleseb is the extortionately priced vet treatment of skin allergies. Exact same active ingredient in common female human vagina wash called Femfresh available at supermarkets for 1 3rd of price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the vet do a scraping to look for mites?It might possibly be mange too,both are easily treated.I'm no expert but that's the first two things I would suspect.
No our vet did not do this, but our boy is scheduled next week to see the vet and we will ask to have a scrapping to check for mites and mange. Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the areas smell of yeast?
Any food allergies would be addressed by a good raw diet. And add 50mls of apple cider vinegar to a 4L bucket for drinking source helps skin issues.
Try 1 single protein. If ok, then try another. Leave chicken till last as a common issue in protein allergies.
Maleseb is the extortionately priced vet treatment of skin allergies. Exact same active ingredient in common female human vagina wash called Femfresh available at supermarkets for 1 3rd of price.
Good info thank you we will definitely try this if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts