German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is not really manhandling. You stay calm and try to comfort your dog with your voice and calmly stroking her, but you are physically restraining the dog. I reward with food after both ears are cleaned and it usually feels good to the dog having cleaner ears, especially if they were were bothering the dog at all. It is just not natural for a dog to let liquid be poured down his ears. Vets sell very overpriced ear cleaning solutions and there are very inexpensive recipes on line that include vinegar, rubbing alcohol and boric acid. But as I said, you have to watch when your dog shakes the solution out that it doesn't get in the dog's eyes or have a moist towel to clean they out. I have never had any solution go in a dog's eyes.
Got it, thanks Chip. I always use positive reinforcement, treats, etc., but restraint will be necessary at times.

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,971 Posts
Champagne
My pup ears need cleaning quite often, like every two weeks I see wax building up, is this not normal?
Some wax is necessary in the ear. If it’s not excessive or foul smelling... I’d leave the ears alone.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts