German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a farm and I have a female GSD that just turned 1 year old, she was found this morning with a brand new born calf standing over it and you could tell she had drug it down the hill, my father in law took the calf and moved it, sometime later on my GSD found the calf and moved it back to the place where she had originally drug it, any idea what might be causing this behavior and how can I stop it before she kills one of my fater in laws calfs? any and all help is appreciated

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Supervise her time outdoors.

GSD's are herding breeds .... also, newborn calves probably smell different and therefore making her curiosity peek..

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Do NOT let your dog around the cattle unsupervised. That's just asking for someone to get hurt or killed. I'm amazed that the calf's mother let the dog do this.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, absolutely not let her be unsupervised and unleashed near livestock.
Have you had a chance to do any obedience training with her? Are there obedience classes offered in your area? Even perhaps at a PetSmart? There are also a few online resources for training, on Petfinder The Power of Positive Dog Training: Dog Training and Behavior: Training and also on Animal Planet.

This looks like predatory behavior, luckily without killing. Not aggression.

You can also start a new thread in this forum under 'finding a good trainer' and ask for trainer suggestions in your area.

Good luck with your youngster!

·
2,967 Posts
I think the easiest solution here is management and training. You're going to have to supervise her and you're going to have to teach her to NOT go near the cows.

Dogs will engage in predatory behavior with baby animals. I knew a dog that killed 4 mini horse foals...and retaliated on a mother horse when it protested. And yet after the first killing they kept letting the dog out unsupervised with the livestock...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow. There are many places that you are allowed to shoot on site a dog that is harassing livestock. No questions asked.

Might be time to proof your dog to livestock but you're going to need someone with experience and you won't be able to do it "positively". Find a trainer.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
agreed... a dog that harasses livestock is a HUGE liability. Not only can a farmer shoot your dog, you are also liable for any damages the dog does - vet care for injured animals AND the market value of replacing any animals killed. Depending on what breed of cattle, you could be looking at a couple thousand dollars. Then, many courts will also require your dog to be put down, depending on where you live

1 - 8 of 8 Posts