German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I call her by her name Maja, she most of the time doesn't react to it, but when I call the cats name Kysius, she immediately looks at me almost every time. Is there any way to turn that around? ? She's 1 year old

·
Registered
561 Posts
We played a lot of name games as a family with treats. For a period of time when I said his name (Apex) and he gave eye contact or responded to his name he got treats. I still off and on give him treats for responding to his name. My house is crazy and rarely quite. Apex tunes a lot of it out, so if I am directing something to his attention I have to say his name first or he just tunes it out.

I have 4 cats so I get what you mean, any attention I direct to the cats Apex responds as well. I sometimes think I should change his recall to Here Kitty Kitty Kitty. LOL

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Have you actually done anything to teach her what her name is? Pairing it with a treat for awhile should help. I like to use a clicker, but you another meaningless word. Make it mean something.

I also like to be very upbeat and enthusiastic, so even when there's not a food or toy reward for responding to the name, there's an emotional response as reinforcement.

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Somehow, I managed to delete a bunch of words from my post so it doesn't make any sense. This is what it was supposed to say:

I like to use a clicker, but you can use a verbal marker if you prefer ("yes!"). Say her name, and when she looks at you, mark it and give her a treat. If nothing happens when you use her name, she's going to continue to ignore it as just another meaningless word.

I like to use a clicker, but you another meaningless word. Make it mean something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts