German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD Buddy gets along great with his pit/lab sister Angel, however if i take him to the pet store or to the bark park he barks (along with his hair standing on end) at every dog he see's. I have trained him that the word "off" means he is to stop barking and sit. However I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to socialize Buddy. He has not been interested in any dogs other than Angel since he was a pup and I am afraid that is just how he is going to be. Open to suggestions...seems there are alot of owners with training experience on this site. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Sorry to hear about Buddy's issues, Bupzilla1. He sounds very similar to our dog, Heidi, who we adopted from a rescue organization back in October.

We've done a lot to try and get her more socialized: a "grumpy pup" class, private socialization sessions with a trainer, reading lots of books ("Feisty Fido" and "Calming Signals" are two of my favorites), NILF, becoming more of a pack leader, etc., etc. We're also taking her to a weekly obedience class made up mostly of german shepherds, and a neighborhood weekly training walk with a bunch of other dogs, where she is given a lot of space since she's reactive.

And she has come a long way. She can go to doggie daycare now and there are some dogs that she does get along with. She still doesn't feel comfortable playing with dogs though and doesn't really like it when they do a "play bow" to her. And she still gets reactive on leash sometimes--especially if a dog comes running up and gets in her face. And if a dog is reactive or aggressive towards her, she still goes ballistic (barking, growling, lunging). But, the good thing is that she can (more often than not) be distracted with a "Leave it!" or a treat with the dogs she encounters (not the ones that are aggressive towards her though) and that she is improving all the time.

It's going to be a lot of work, but it will be worth it. So, my advice to you is keep trying different things and get Buddy out there with new experiences. Also, be sure and check out the "Aggression" forum in the "Training Theory & Methods" forum. They have a LOT of great info there.

Best of luck to you and Buddy!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
hmm this is a good one..when i started tyson in his pup classes he was a bit pushy too. our trainer has a SAR border collie that will not put up with puppy behavior like that...well tyson didnt get the treatment but i saw another pushy lab/mastiff mix get put on his back by the border collie. the collie didnt try to hurt the pup just said "stop it or next time ill kill u'' lol needless to say the pups ego dropped.. he didnt get rough again that day. heck he didnt even try to engage in any play...he learned a tough lesson

o by the way..how old is ur pup? im not sure how tyson learned not to be so rough, maybe it had to do with the socializeing because other than mya, no other dog has gotten rough/mean with him. i think that its all part of the pup matureing.

another question. is this aggressive behavior?? or just playfull??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the posts. I am pretty sure that it is more aggression than playfulness, but I never let it get that far. When he was a pup and we took him to obed. classes he would not want to play with the other dogs at the end of the class in a fenced in area. We could never let him off the leash. During the class he was fine with the dogs next to him. I feel like it is almost as if he thinks that the other dogs may want to hurt him or myself and he is being aggressive in a protective way. I dont get that many opportunities to socialize him around this area as there is no bark park.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts