German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! We got our puppy Shadow back in December at 6.5 weeks old. When we got him, we were told that his mom was a GSD and his dad was a brindle boxer. As he's gotten older, we see no sign of boxer and I'm starting to doubt that side of the mix. Some things that are different about him, he had dew claws on both rear legs that weren't attached with any bone (they were just a pad and claw and floppy). Also, he has the most webbed toes I've ever seen on a dog. The webbing goes almost to the ends of his toes. We call them his duck feet. He's a big boy, 60lbs at 7months. I'm usually really good at nailing breeds in mixed dogs, but he has me stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Webbed toes? Huh. There are some big tree hound breeds out there, and you do see them brindled..but they don't have webbed toes. Could they have assumed GSD due to the saddle back? Because Coonhound breeds also have saddle backs sometimes. In any event he is a gorgeous big boy! How is his temperament so far? Drivey? Laid back?

Edited to add..if he was a rescue birth and they saw the mom I guess they know GSD. I do not see much Boxer either, aside from Brindling.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Maybe do a search for dog breeds that normally have back dew claws.He looks like there might be some mastiff in there somewhere.Very handsome boy!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
What an awesome looking dog. This is probably a stretch but something in his looks reminds me of a catahoula Leopard dog. They do supposedly have pronounced webbing on their paws...

Catahoula Leopard Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts - Dogtime
My neighbor when I was a kid only ever had catahoulas, such fiercely protective dogs, but very great dogs. I'd say look for that trait in his personality but GSD are also supposed to be protective.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Handsome big guy! I love brindle.
Mixes are always so interesting, but tough to call. I keep thinking his face has a very distinctive look, but I can't quite figure it out.
Hope you'll keep posting pics and updates on him. I'm anxious to see what he looks like as an adult.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
He could be 100% mutt (down many generations) and a good looking one too. I wonder why we always guess between two purebreds. To me, the only part that could be GSD is his muzzle. You and the world will be guessing his entire life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He could be 100% mutt (down many generations) and a good looking one too. I wonder why we always guess between two purebreds. To me, the only part that could be GSD is his muzzle. You and the world will be guessing his entire life.
The people we got him from owned the mom. The GSD is the known quantity. They said the dad was a brindle boxer, but I'm now thinking that was just a guess (maybe there had been one running the neighbor, and they assumed it was him, who knows).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What an awesome looking dog. This is probably a stretch but something in his looks reminds me of a catahoula Leopard dog. They do supposedly have pronounced webbing on their paws...

Catahoula Leopard Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts - Dogtime
I think you might be on to something. I have lots for searches for webbed footed breeds and for breeds most likely to have rear dew claws. I'd never considered the Cur breeds. That definitely seems a strong possibility. We got him out in East Texas not far from Louisiana.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Webbed toes? Huh. There are some big tree hound breeds out there, and you do see them brindled..but they don't have webbed toes. Could they have assumed GSD due to the saddle back? Because Coonhound breeds also have saddle backs sometimes. In any event he is a gorgeous big boy! How is his temperament so far? Drivey? Laid back?

Edited to add..if he was a rescue birth and they saw the mom I guess they know GSD. I do not see much Boxer either, aside from Brindling.
my ex husband and I had a Treeing Walker Coon Hound. I'm almost 100% certain he doesn't have any hound in him lol. We do know 100% the mom is GSD. She is owned by the people we got him from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brindle is not typical of catahoulas. What’s his body type / tail like?
my understanding is that the Fairbanks line introduced brindle to Catahoulas. That being said, there are other cur breeds that are more likely to be brindle. His body type is lean but with A LOT of bone. I'll see if I can get a good side picture of him. His webbed feet are really unique though. I think they are going to be the biggest clue to his breeding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
He doesn't look very mastiffy to me,though he must've had a big sire to make the size he is already,and he looks to have a bit of growing left in him yet.
Maybe a LGD breed?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts