German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever have this problem?

She will search the house for random objects/trash/clothing, pick them up, put them in middle of the room and then just walk away and repeat. She doesn't eat anything out of the trash or tear up the objects, she just relocates them to a spot in the living room. She looks quite proud of her self when she finds something new.
She only just recently started doing this.

Anyone else's GSD ever do this? It's not a destructive or terribly annoying habit, but should I put a stop to it? How would I go about doing it?

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
WD does that. Most of the time he "rinses" them in his water bowl first, incl. shoes. Never ruins anything. I think it is herding vs hoarding ;)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona used to do this with my dirty socks and underwear. She would drag them into the living room and just leave them. It was embarrassing. :blush:
Thankfully, she stopped on her own or finally understood the "noooooooooooo" when I saw them in the living room was not a good thing. She hasn't collected anything else.
I wonder if this might be part of that OCD thing they want to study at Tufts?:confused:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine does it with shoes and my sons socks. She also rearranges all the pillows on the couch daily:)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Non-GSD, but my little weim collected three pairs of an exBF's shoes one night after a particularly heated argument, and lined them up right next to the front door :rofl:

We found them in the morning, and I said, yep, the dog's got it just about right!!

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Non-GSD, but my little weim collected three pairs of an exBF's shoes one night after a particularly heated argument, and lined them up right next to the front door :rofl:

We found them in the morning, and I said, yep, the dog's got it just about right!!
That's some insight! I am glad you got the message.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
That's so cute! I was wondering if anyone else had a dog that did this. Molly used to have a collection in the middle of our upstairs hallway - shoes, socks and a few odd things. Now her collection site is her downstairs bed in the kitchen/dining area - pinecones, rocks and certain toys. When we go to a park, she often starts a stick collection, brings several sticks to one central spot.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's so cute! I was wondering if anyone else had a dog that did this. Molly used to have a collection in the middle of our upstairs hallway - shoes, socks and a few odd things. Now her collection site is her downstairs bed in the kitchen/dining area - pinecones, rocks and certain toys. When we go to a park, she often starts a stick collection, brings several sticks to one central spot.

Bet she'd be great at gathering firewood on a camping trip!! Cute :)

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
One of mine does it with toys. When they are scattered all over the house and backyard, she collects them one by one and puts them in a pile on her bed. Occasionally, she will drag a random object that she finds and likes and add it to her collection (sometimes a shoe), without damaging the object. It will simply be part of a pile of treasures.

A friend's dog used to do it with a fruit tree in the backyard -- gathering up the fruit as it fell and putting it in a pile on the patio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts