German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old GSD chases our cats in the house. We've tried scolding her and telling her no, but she still continues. Will this problem get better once we get her fixed, or is it a behavior problem that needs more than scolding to fix?

I don't know if this has been asked before, but if someone has some advice it will be really appreciated as I don't want any of the cats getting hurt by her.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Spirit loves to harrass my cat. And my cat doesn't have front claws (a rescue, not done by me) so that doesn't help. I am forever pulling him off and redirecting him. I hope with maturity, the novelty will wear off.

The thing is, it's his mission to de-squeak everything in this house. And the cat squeaks like nothing else LOL

I just manage it, and make sure my cat has a safe place to go where she can get peace and quiet :)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
This is just a training issue and you do have to be serious and address it. All fun and games for the dog but there can be an accident with the size difference.

If it's getting out of hand you need a 'leave it'. But BEFORE the chase is on. A 'leave it' works when your dog is headed towards a skunk, a pile of dead things, or a cat. It can save your dogs life so this is not just about your cat.

click this for some wonderful training and specifics for 'leave it' ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/150660-intro-clicker-training-perfect-puppies.html

Have you started up dog classes yet? Because 'leave it' is such a potential life saver for our dogs most classes integrate it in their training.

In the meantime, make sure your cat has escape routes. I use baby gates and leave a space at the bottom the cat can go under but the pups won't fit.

:paw:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts