German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have a cat and a working line GSD. He’s 10 months old right now. He has a fair amount of prey drive and did chase the cat from the beginning. We have worked to get him to respect the cat more by using a variety of techniques. We are at the point now that he will play with the cat (we allow it when she’s not on the floor because he’s big and goofy and doesn’t know his strength). He will also let the cat walk around the house. If she’s running, it’s still fair game in his mind. So we are sure to have gates and escape points throughout the house.

IMO, kids are easier to train for than cats. Because cats are cats and they don’t listen 😂
Thats cool! I want to do that too. Im thinking of having child door locks and door stoppers so the cat can get into certain rooms but the dog can't. I saw a youtuber have them with his GSD WL and his cat and it seems to work fine for them!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cats and dogs, depends on the cat and the dog. Our current cat has been around dogs since it was a kitten and even acts like a dog sometimes. If this is an older cat that has never lived with dogs it might not go well.
Our cat grew up with dogs. She goes on walks with us too LOL. It is the dog chasing the cat that I am worried about.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thats cool! I want to do that too. Im thinking of having child door locks and door stoppers so the cat can get into certain rooms but the dog can't. I saw a youtuber have them with his GSD WL and his cat and it seems to work fine for them!
In our main living area, we have two baby gates in the doorways and a cat door down to the basement. You just want to watch out for dead ends where the cat can get trapped.

Also, ask the breeders you are talking to about prey drive and cats. Make sure your breeder selects the puppy for you to match your experience level, needs and environment. The same litter of puppies can have very different drives and energy levels. And the breeder should be the one to determine what matches best.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
Good point. Now I’m worried about the cat. I know lots of people that the cat and dog lives in harmony
I have two working lines. Both high prey. They grew up with an inside cats and two outside cats. Teach your dog that torturing the cat is not allowed. It's a training issue. Teach your dog a call off. I just called mine off a stray cat running thru the yard. That also is a training issue. It doesn't happen overnight but it's totally possible. The only time I would separate is if the cat is to stressed to deal and it's helpful if the cat doesn't run and trigger prey. My outside cats KNOW they are cats and the dogs are just mere dogs and they let them know it. So evaluate your situation and adjust to that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In our main living area, we have two baby gates in the doorways and a cat door down to the basement. You just want to watch out for dead ends where the cat can get trapped.

Also, ask the breeders you are talking to about prey drive and cats. Make sure your breeder selects the puppy for you to match your experience level, needs and environment. The same litter of puppies can have very different drives and energy levels. And the breeder should be the one to determine what matches best.
Thank you ! I am working on finding a breeder. Made an application to start the process too. I am gonna start plan the arrangements for the cat soon too so that the two can be okay together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have two working lines. Both high prey. They grew up with an inside cats and two outside cats. Teach your dog that torturing the cat is not allowed. It's a training issue. Teach your dog a call off. I just called mine off a stray cat running thru the yard. That also is a training issue. It doesn't happen overnight but it's totally possible. The only time I would separate is if the cat is to stressed to deal and it's helpful if the cat doesn't run and trigger prey. My outside cats KNOW they are cats and the dogs are just mere dogs and they let them know it. So evaluate your situation and adjust to that.

View attachment 560642
That is awesome! What do you do at night when everyone sleeps? Are they in the same room? Do you have ways the cat can escape if stressed?

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
That is awesome! What do you do at night when everyone sleeps? Are they in the same room? Do you have ways the cat can escape if stressed?
The dogs sleep in the bedroom. The cat was free to roam always. My cat was always free to escape or lay in the open. The dogs were taught to not pester the cat. It's not optional. It just takes time. Some people will put up gates so the cat can escape when they want too.

The outside cats are capable of training the dogs by themselves. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The dogs sleep in the bedroom. The cat was free to roam always. My cat was always free to escape or lay in the open. The dogs were taught to not pester the cat. It's not optional. It just takes time. Some people will put up gates so the cat can escape when they want too.

The outside cats are capable of training the dogs by themselves. ;)
Our cat basically lives outside. But comes in during the night. My dog will be in my bedroom of course and the cat will roam the house during the night as usual. How did you train the dog to not chase the cat? Video or reading tutorial or just from previous knowledge ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good point. Now I’m worried about the cat. I know lots of people that the cat and dog lives in harmony but then again I guess it’s better to not chance it. I guess you don’t have a cat then? I don’t think my family will love the idea that we have to lock the dog or cat to a specific room when we aren’t home or aren’t supervising. Our lab and cat are best friends haha, and even sleep with my parents at night... both of them on their bed.
No issue at night cause the pup would be in crate in my room for a while. But I now have to consider ways to make sure the cat and the pup are safe.

thank you for your help by the way
Lots of people’s get along with their other pets but then lots of people’s don’t... it’s quite common to have to crate one dog at a time at home... it’s fine if you live for some kind of dog sport and that’s what you have to do but kind of sucks if you’re just trying all to live at home and get along 😂
If I were in your shoes, I’d talk to the breeder and get your parents a dog. You wouldn’t be the first person to come out of university with a completely different life than you planned and couldn’t take your dog with you... like you meet the girl of your dreams and she already has a dog that she can’t rehome and your dogs don’t get along... I can’t tell you how many animal lovers I know who got together and couldn’t live together because their pets didn’t get along so one had to go and that caused a whole bunch of other problems during arguments 😂 ...that way you get experience with GSDs without all the commitment when your life is still up in the air... and later you’ll have breeders who are more likely to sell their “cooler” dogs that they wouldn’t give to someone who had no GSD experience. Buying a dog with your significant other or your kids is a much more exciting experience than just buying one for yourself anyway... don’t deprive yourself of buying your GF that engagement puppy 😂

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
People overthink things. It's a puppy. Make sure the cat has and escape, either a cat tree or a gate or door that the cat can get through but not the dog, and carry on.
I swear if I listened to experts I would never own a German Shepherd.
A balanced dog should not be a prey monster anyway. Do your homework, find a good breeder, be honest and wait for your pup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Lots of people’s get along with their other pets but then lots of people’s don’t... it’s quite common to have to crate one dog at a time at home... it’s fine if you live for some kind of dog sport and that’s what you have to do but kind of sucks if you’re just trying all to live at home and get along 😂
If I were in your shoes, I’d talk to the breeder and get your parents a dog. You wouldn’t be the first person to come out of university with a completely different life than you planned and couldn’t take your dog with you... like you meet the girl of your dreams and she already has a dog that she can’t rehome and your dogs don’t get along... I can’t tell you how many animal lovers I know who got together and couldn’t live together because their pets didn’t get along so one had to go and that caused a whole bunch of other problems during arguments 😂 ...that way you get experience with GSDs without all the commitment when your life is still up in the air... and later you’ll have breeders who are more likely to sell their “cooler” dogs that they wouldn’t give to someone who had no GSD experience. Buying a dog with your significant other or your kids is a much more exciting experience than just buying one for yourself anyway... don’t deprive yourself of buying your GF that engagement puppy 😂
I see your points. I’m with my current girlfriend who I love and can not see my life without. She’s a massive dog person and even shows them at shows. She supports me with the decision as well. Plus she’d hate me if I got a GSD as an engagement gift. She likes them but not her favourite.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
People overthink things. It's a puppy. Make sure the cat has and escape, either a cat tree or a gate or door that the cat can get through but not the dog, and carry on.
I swear if I listened to experts I would never own a German Shepherd.
A balanced dog should not be a prey monster anyway. Do your homework, find a good breeder, be honest and wait for your pup.
Thank you. I like being over prepared with these things... but I really love your stand point on this, I agree with you. Sometimes I feel like they are hard and try to scare you out of something so only the ones who have done research are actually the ones that end up with a pup. But this could just be me.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Not a working line pup - not even a purebred GSD - but Agis came home (and remained) a very bouncy puppy - we have two cats as well. Our older cat, Timothy, didn't run, so Agis mostly left him alone. Cordelia likes tearing through the house, so Agis would chase. We corrected it, and it rarely happens now, and he can be called off pretty well immediately if it does.

With that said, Agis has taken a real liking of Timothy - he tries to groom him (in a teethy way, so we discourage it) and brings Timothy his toys to play (Timothy gets a really angry look on his face, it's hilarious...why are you bring this to me dog?).

This may or may not be helpful, but it is possible. With that said, I had a female GSD who was incredibly prey driven (even young kids caused a prey reaction, at least to me...she'd start stalking them like they were squirrels, it was the exact same reaction (she was on leash and muzzled)) and whom we had to rotate in and out with the cats. She came as an adult, it is one reason why we got Agis as a puppy - so he could grow up with the cats having learned how to behave around them.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Thank you. I like being over prepared with these things... but I really love your stand point on this, I agree with you. Sometimes I feel like they are hard and try to scare you out of something so only the ones who have done research are actually the ones that end up with a pup. But this could just be me.
I have owned all sorts of dogs, all sorts of breeds, generally multiple dogs at a time. I kept PPDs, patrol dogs, detection dogs hand in hand with children, roommates, other pets. I can promise you that at NO point did I sit back and say " gee, I wonder if this is ok."
To my mind a person who shouldn't own a German Shepherd, probably should not own a dog.
The breed standard, the breed plan right from the start, was a dog that could do anything and would go anywhere. Von Stephanitz specifically addressed the issue of children and other animals. He specifically addressed that these dogs reach their potential when living as part of the family.
Yes they need exercise, yes they need training. All dogs do. But they are not alien creatures who you need a doctorate to figure out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have owned all sorts of dogs, all sorts of breeds, generally multiple dogs at a time. I kept PPDs, patrol dogs, detection dogs hand in hand with children, roommates, other pets. I can promise you that at NO point did I sit back and say " gee, I wonder if this is ok."
To my mind a person who shouldn't own a German Shepherd, probably should not own a dog.
The breed standard, the breed plan right from the start, was a dog that could do anything and would go anywhere. Von Stephanitz specifically addressed the issue of children and other animals. He specifically addressed that these dogs reach their potential when living as part of the family.
Yes they need exercise, yes they need training. All dogs do. But they are not alien creatures who you need a doctorate to figure out.
I agree with you. Thank you for the response !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Not a working line pup - not even a purebred GSD - but Agis came home (and remained) a very bouncy puppy - we have two cats as well. Our older cat, Timothy, didn't run, so Agis mostly left him alone. Cordelia likes tearing through the house, so Agis would chase. We corrected it, and it rarely happens now, and he can be called off pretty well immediately if it does.

With that said, Agis has taken a real liking of Timothy - he tries to groom him (in a teethy way, so we discourage it) and brings Timothy his toys to play (Timothy gets a really angry look on his face, it's hilarious...why are you bring this to me dog?).

This may or may not be helpful, but it is possible. With that said, I had a female GSD who was incredibly prey driven (even young kids caused a prey reaction, at least to me...she'd start stalking them like they were squirrels, it was the exact same reaction (she was on leash and muzzled)) and whom we had to rotate in and out with the cats. She came as an adult, it is one reason why we got Agis as a puppy - so he could grow up with the cats having learned how to behave around them.
That’s really cute. I’d love for that kind of relationship. Takes work but I am excited to do it and put the time into it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on lines. For the average pet owner any well bred GSD will suit. There are a tiny handful of actual reputable breeders in Canada. You just happen to be smack on top of one. Actually two as there is also Foxfield? or Fox something in that area. Lee(unlimited gsd) recommended them and I am willing to take her word for it.
I found foxfield, and have been talking with UnlimitedGSD. Did you get a pup from either of these breeders? Or do you just know of them?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I found foxfield, and have been talking with UnlimitedGSD. Did you get a pup from either of these breeders? Or do you just know of them?
I know of Unlimited.
Any breeder I recommend I have been watching for a long time. I have communicated with puppy owners and watched what they do as well.
The Canadian market has way fewer good breeders then the US. And I am crazy about confirmation and proof, and a bit obsessive about breeders producing balanced dogs. What good is a dog you can't live with?
When I initially started looking for a pup breeders were telling me their dogs were not suitable as pets and it stunned me. I dug deeper and deeper and found that if you want to buy in Canada you basically have fewer then a dozen choices so I started watching and communicating.
Unlimited is one that continues to make my list.
Others in Canada
Narnia
Wendelin
Bullinger
Carmspack

My criteria may be different then yours. I want the whole package.
I want health, longevity and above all a dog that has the work ability AND the capability to be a family companion.
My next pup will be from a breeder that produces all that. I have spent years, yes years, watching. The list gets smaller every year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I know of Unlimited.
Any breeder I recommend I have been watching for a long time. I have communicated with puppy owners and watched what they do as well.
The Canadian market has way fewer good breeders then the US. And I am crazy about confirmation and proof, and a bit obsessive about breeders producing balanced dogs. What good is a dog you can't live with?
When I initially started looking for a pup breeders were telling me their dogs were not suitable as pets and it stunned me. I dug deeper and deeper and found that if you want to buy in Canada you basically have fewer then a dozen choices so I started watching and communicating.
Unlimited is one that continues to make my list.
Others in Canada
Narnia
Wendelin
Bullinger
Carmspack

My criteria may be different then yours. I want the whole package.
I want health, longevity and above all a dog that has the work ability AND the capability to be a family companion.
My next pup will be from a breeder that produces all that. I have spent years, yes years, watching. The list gets smaller every year.
I can imagine. The community needs people like you. Thank you for helping! I want to go with Unlimited but seems like I may have to wait until April. Which is not a big deal for quality but it does seem long.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I can imagine. The community needs people like you. Thank you for helping! I want to go with Unlimited but seems like I may have to wait until April. Which is not a big deal for quality but it does seem long.
I know its a wait.
I know someone, sort of family, who bought a GSD pup from a local breeder in the Barrie area I think. She is now nearing two, a big girl at near 90lbs who has some significant health and behavioral issues. Looks like hips are bad, has some skin problems but more importantly is seriously fearful and becoming fear aggressive. Cannot accompany the family on vacations and cannot be boarded. These are dog people, have always had shepherds. The dog will always have a home but is quickly evolving into a dog that will need to be managed.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts