German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for healthy family dog, good caring breeder! Found a really awesome one in Barrie but looking for other options as well!

All help appreciated!

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I don't know that she has anything planned but in that area. I would definitely consult her before you contact anyone else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of dog are you looking for? What do you intend to do with them?
Mostly a family dog, smart, healthy, can be good for a nap, walk, hike, swim, good with kids, cats, other dogs, and of course a protector etc. From research Working Line would seem to be best for health?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know that she has anything planned but in that area. I would definitely consult her before you contact anyone else.
I messaged her already! Thank you!

I saw some posts recommending her and sent her a message. I also saw some people recommend Ulfheim Working German Shepherds, seems they have good ones and socialize them quite a bit themselves, with kids etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mostly a family dog, smart, healthy, can be good for a nap, walk, hike, swim, good with kids, cats, other dogs, and of course a protector etc. From research Working Line would seem to be best for health?
edit: I want to do lots of training and try lots of unique things, take for long walks as I love going for walks and hopefully runs eventually, will encourage me to stay moving as I have gotten lazy with COVID.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not gonna lie, I’m totally biased and will recommend WL to anybody and everybody for anything 😂 ...but SL could handle all of that too... except for the “protection” part. Dogs won’t “protect” you unless they’re trained to and protection trainers in our area don’t really like working with SL (I don’t make the rules, don’t shoot the messenger 😂) ...both lines will naturally bark scarily enough though and no one will pass a barking German shepherd to get to you... so it’s really personal preference. If you’re looking for an actual “protection” dog, that’s a whole other can o’ worms and you have to work backwards logistically.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not gonna lie, I’m totally biased and will recommend WL to anybody and everybody for anything 😂 ...but SL could handle all of that too... except for the “protection” part. Dogs won’t “protect” you unless they’re trained to and protection trainers in our area don’t really like working with SL (I don’t make the rules, don’t shoot the messenger 😂) ...both lines will naturally bark scarily enough though and no one will pass a barking German shepherd to get to you... so it’s really personal preference. If you’re looking for an actual “protection” dog, that’s a whole other can o’ worms and you have to work backwards logistically.
I am only interested in barking, possibly train to bark on command as well. I am guessing you own WL? What is your experience with them?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am only interested in barking, possibly train to bark on command as well. I am guessing you own WL? What is your experience with them?
I’ve had both but I prefer WL. There is a BIT of a learning curve but if you have a good trainer they’re amazing to train... if you don’t have a good trainer, it’s like putting regular gas in a luxury car (it will function mostly and still look pretty but you’ll get some weird knocking noise 😂)
If you decide to go with WL I’d suggest learning a bit about breed reports and what the comments mean... right now in the last few months there are some people gouging for whatever reason... don’t fall for it 😉 good ones are operating as normal.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on lines. For the average pet owner any well bred GSD will suit. There are a tiny handful of actual reputable breeders in Canada. You just happen to be smack on top of one. Actually two as there is also Foxfield? or Fox something in that area. Lee(unlimited gsd) recommended them and I am willing to take her word for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't make the mistake of getting hung up on lines. For the average pet owner any well bred GSD will suit. There are a tiny handful of actual reputable breeders in Canada. You just happen to be smack on top of one. Actually two as there is also Foxfield? or Fox something in that area. Lee(unlimited gsd) recommended them and I am willing to take her word for it.
Thank you! I appreciate it! I did contact them. Just a family pet, I am not too worried about lines, I just want to find a good breeder!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve had both but I prefer WL. There is a BIT of a learning curve but if you have a good trainer they’re amazing to train... if you don’t have a good trainer, it’s like putting regular gas in a luxury car (it will function mostly and still look pretty but you’ll get some weird knocking noise 😂)
If you decide to go with WL I’d suggest learning a bit about breed reports and what the comments mean... right now in the last few months there are some people gouging for whatever reason... don’t fall for it 😉 good ones are operating as normal.
I see what you mean! Training by myself may not be the best option then? I had my idea on doing it myself and reading and learning about methods etc. I really want to create an amazing bond with the pup and have a friend while I go through University and later move out of our family home and into my own.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see what you mean! Training by myself may not be the best option then? I had my idea on doing it myself and reading and learning about methods etc. I really want to create an amazing bond with the pup and have a friend while I go through University and later move out of our family home and into my own.
If you’re looking for a bond, you’ll definitely get a bond! WL pups become your soulmate after just a few days. They pick up on your emotions from a super young age that I’ve never seen in other dogs. One thing I’d suggest for the timing though... try to keep in mind that losing a dog will be the most devastating thing in a kid’s life (I learned that the hard way)... getting a puppy, however, is the greatest thing in a kid’s life... not sure when you plan to have kids but I’d try to avoid timing a dog that might die when your kids are any older than 3-4... it really doesn’t go well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you’re looking for a bond, you’ll definitely get a bond! WL pups become your soulmate after just a few days. They pick up on your emotions from a super young age that I’ve never seen in other dogs. One thing I’d suggest for the timing though... try to keep in mind that losing a dog will be the most devastating thing in a kid’s life (I learned that the hard way)... getting a puppy, however, is the greatest thing in a kid’s life... not sure when you plan to have kids but I’d try to avoid timing a dog that might die when your kids are any older than 3-4... it really doesn’t go well.
That’s a fair point. I never thought of that. I’m more worried about socializing with kids as I’m 18 and don’t know any younger kids. Best option is walking around and hoping I see a family and offer them to say hi.

Do you think preydrive will have the dog chasing the family cat? Or is that something I can train it that the cats apart of the family / pack?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That’s a fair point. I never thought of that. I’m more worried about socializing with kids as I’m 18 and don’t know any younger kids. Best option is walking around and hoping I see a family and offer them to say hi.

Do you think preydrive will have the dog chasing the family cat? Or is that something I can train it that the cats apart of the family / pack?
I’d be more worried about the cat than the human baby to be honest 😂 people will probably tell you “yes you can train them to do anything” but in reality, the prey drive starts way before their real “trainability” and either the cat or the puppy will get severely mauled... the neat thing about human babies though is they don’t really run much for the first year 😂 so you have plenty of time to acclimate a dog to a baby (for the love of god and all that is holy though, never leave a baby unsupervised with any dog no matter what anyone tells you 😂... if you have to leave the room either take the dog or the baby with you)... WL dogs come up with the most inventive ways to injure babies that don’t even occur to you as an exhausted parent like yanking on a rug or pulling on a loose string and smacking their head on a coffee table lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d be more worried about the cat than the human baby to be honest 😂 people will probably tell you “yes you can train them to do anything” but in reality, the prey drive starts way before their real “trainability” and either the cat or the puppy will get severely mauled... the neat thing about human babies though is they don’t really run much for the first year 😂 so you have plenty of time to acclimate a dog to a baby (for the love of god and all that is holy though, never leave a baby unsupervised with any dog no matter what anyone tells you 😂... if you have to leave the room either take the dog or the baby with you)... WL dogs come up with the most inventive ways to injure babies that don’t even occur to you as an exhausted parent like yanking on a rug or pulling on a loose string and smacking their head on a coffee table lol
Good point. Now I’m worried about the cat. I know lots of people that the cat and dog lives in harmony but then again I guess it’s better to not chance it. I guess you don’t have a cat then? I don’t think my family will love the idea that we have to lock the dog or cat to a specific room when we aren’t home or aren’t supervising. Our lab and cat are best friends haha, and even sleep with my parents at night... both of them on their bed.
No issue at night cause the pup would be in crate in my room for a while. But I now have to consider ways to make sure the cat and the pup are safe.

thank you for your help by the way

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a cat and a working line GSD. He’s 10 months old right now. He has a fair amount of prey drive and did chase the cat from the beginning. We have worked to get him to respect the cat more by using a variety of techniques. We are at the point now that he will play with the cat (we allow it when she’s not on the floor because he’s big and goofy and doesn’t know his strength). He will also let the cat walk around the house. If she’s running, it’s still fair game in his mind. So we are sure to have gates and escape points throughout the house.

IMO, kids are easier to train for than cats. Because cats are cats and they don’t listen 😂

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cats and dogs, depends on the cat and the dog. Our current cat has been around dogs since it was a kitten and even acts like a dog sometimes. If this is an older cat that has never lived with dogs it might not go well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts