German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grimm has no bones. He is a puddle of GSD on the cool hallway floor tiles. Looks like a giant blob of sable pancake batter on a griddle.

On walks, he doofuses along, but tongue hangs to his knees and flaps like a big ole piece of lox just slid off a bagel.

Anyone else's GSD really sleepy and laying around during the summer heat? We have 87 degrees and NO A/C in Germany. We are camping out indoors most of the time. Grimm is not sick, we were just at the vet last week. Just lazy and droopy. Anybody else's GSD?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
"Boneless blob" is pretty much Abby's natural state, completely unrelated to the weather outdoors or indoors. She goes "blob" whenever she curls up on the couch with Daddy and if anyone even looks like they possibly, remotely might be interested in rubbing the Abby tummy.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grimm has "gone more blob" since going onto raw. He's still a puppyish 20 month old, but.. wow.. the difference is blobtastic!

The heat really just totally makes him go into pancake-batter mode, though.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfGrimm has no bones. He is a puddle of GSD on the cool hallway floor tiles. Looks like a giant blob of sable pancake batter on a griddle.

On walks, he doofuses along, but tongue hangs to his knees and flaps like a big ole piece of lox just slid off a bagel.....
Oh Patti!
I swear if you don't hurry up and write a book about "anything" so I can read it over and over again!
I just love your discriptive way of putting things. "....big ole piece of lox just slid off a bagel..."
Man, I can SEE that!
Always look forward to reading your post!
The girls have their 'doggy bags' packed, where heading up north to the lake this morning. That should help to liven them up abit.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sandra, thank you.
I hope you and the girls have a wonderful and refreshing time!
Merry dunking!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brightelf
Anyone else's GSD really sleepy and laying around during the summer heat?
UMMMMMMMMM NO. Siren is just as "ready to go" wether it is over 100 degrees or not. I am the one that turns into a "boneless blob".

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rafi also turns into a slug in the heat and especially in the humidity. He still walks fast and likes to play ball but doesn't have nearly as much play energy as usual (so only 4 hours as opposed to 14 hours! ;)) . He did much better at the cottage where he had the cold lake to jump into and cool off.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfWe have 87 degrees and NO A/C in Germany.
I'm envious of your 87 degrees. I live in S.E. Texas where we expect a high of 94 degrees (will feel like 100 degrees with humidity...ugh). We couldn't survive without A/C.

We get our walks and exercise in very early in the morning. I don't even like late evening exercise, cause its still too gross. But, we have to tire Heidi out or else she becomes devilish. I think she's still too young to be a summer blob.

Come on Fall...hurry up!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
We're in the middle of an ugly heatwave... it's been 90+ for the last three weeks in a row with no end in sight. It's 102 today and my GSD's are blobs laying on the AC vents...

I'm swelltering and they've got a cute cold spot on them.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Patti, you are too funny with Grimm being a pancake blob!

Originally Posted By: BlackGSD UMMMMMMMMM NO. Siren is just as "ready to go" wether it is over 100 degrees or not.
Don't expect it to stop when she hits middle age. Morgan would still power walk 3 miles in the heat then jump in the pool and get ready for more. She used to TORMENT Luther in the summer, he was a boneless blob and did not like the pool. I used to find him glued to the floor under the big A/C unit.

Poor little Otto, he does not like the hot either. It was soooo hot last week, he did not want to be outside playing. He would just sit in the shade and pant. When it got cooler at night, he loved it and he's been happier outside this week. His sire's owner told me it was the only negative about his father.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grimm has oozed back into the hallway again. Eyes glazed, limbs akimbo, waiting for September to happen. Me too.. we're mellltinnnng!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarina
Don't expect it to stop when she hits middle age.
Oh I don't! I was thinking MAYBE by the time she is 10 or so. My older girl was the same way. She isn't what you would call a "high energy" dog. She is just as happy to lay around the house all day, OR be outside doing something. But the heat never bothered her and she is BLACK. Just in the last year she has slowed down but it isn't the heat, it is age.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts