German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, I don't have my GSD yet. However, I have a question.

In my housing track there are a lot of dogs around our home. Namingly two dogs next door (rotty and lab) that I swear bark at nothing. They bark at the wind blowing. Any hour of the day or night. The owners don't care. It's a long story I don't want to burden you all with.

Well, tonight like most nights...they're out there (11pm right now) barking and barking. I go out numerous times to make sure they're not barking for a reason. No.

So, when I get my GSD,will my dog end up with these bad barking habits because of all the other dogs around us? In a perfect world my dog will only bark when necessary. But is it possible to have MY dog be better than all these dogs when my dog is surrounded by them?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
would have to say probably depends on the dog, but probably not. dogs are such pack animals and it's been my experience that once one in the general vicinity barks, the rest of them follow and add to the chorus.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Some GSDs are barkers while others not so much. I am thinking that maybe if your dog was praised from the onset for not barking when the other were, then it would help to elivate the barking.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dogs bark at "the wind blowing" and things like that because they are frustrated and lack mental stimulation. A dog that barks at everything is a worthless watch dog, as far as I am concerned.

When my dog barks, it is usually not for no reason at all and I need to see what is going on. If your dog gets enough physical and mental stimulation, there should be no reason for it to bark just because the next door neighbors dog is barking.

There are many times when the neighborhood dogs are going wild and my dog is sitting calmly in the back yard sniffing the air.

Yes, dogs are pack animals but you are in their pack, not the neighbors dogs. If your dog is barking just because other dogs in the vicinity are barking, it needs a job. It's bored.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
My dogs don't care if a dog is barking outside, while they are inside. And I have some dogs who really like to bark!

Now, when you are outside with your dog...that could be a thing...are they ALWAYS outside?

I guess you can look at it as a training opportunity. And hopefully one that will educate your neighbors as well!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My neighbor's Aussie/BC mix and Dobe bark a LOT at nothing, all hours of the day and night. The Hooligans ignore them except if/when they're fence fighting or if there's something that needs to be barked at.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
No your dog will NOT bark like that.

Because YOU will be a responsible dog owner and YOU will never leave your dogs out in the yard unattended.

So all your neighbors will love you and your new dog!!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I agree that it depends on the dog and dog owner. I live in an area that has a green belt behind our house, we call it dog alley due to the fact that every house down the line has a dog and they all bark when someone walks down that path...they all bark except my GSD. He just investigates, deems if it is a threat (which is never, unless you try to get into our yard) then returns inside to me, so I think it depends on the dog and what MaggieRoseLee said, how responsible you the owner are.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had a choc lab next door that my neighbors left out all day and all night (even in really hot and cold temps) that barked continuously. It is very annoying especially in the middle of the night. When they first got the dog, Greta would run up and down the fence line barking with it but I put an end to that in no time flat. I would call her and tell her quiet and reward with a piece of hot dog. It didn't take long for her to understand that the barking from her in that situation was unacceptable. Their house was foreclosed on and they are gone now so we no longer have the problem and we can actually open our windows at night when the weather is good (like now) and get a wonderful night's sleep.

I honesly don't think you will have a problem with your pup if you correct it from the get go. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally Posted By: firefightrsflameSo, when I get my GSD,will my dog end up with these bad barking habits because of all the other dogs around us? In a perfect world my dog will only bark when necessary. But is it possible to have MY dog be better than all these dogs when my dog is surrounded by them?

I personally despise barking in dogs. I don't like to be startled and oft get irritable if I am. I can sit on my front porch, last night is a good example (painting my nails) and dogs can bark around us or walk by our house, and mine will ignore the other dogs - why? Because it isn't concerning me, so it doesn't concern them. Dogs take their cues from their leaders and if you are a strong, confident leader then your dogs will behave as calmly as you do. We spend most evenings outside after our walks, Sandi lays in my lap (because 45lbs is the PERFECT lap dog size) and Ozzy lays (on a chain, which is long enough to reach the road, but helps reinforcing the perimeter in the city where other morons don't know enough to keep their dogs off my lawn/their property) on the front lawn with his Jolly Ball. They seldom bark, if they do they get told to sit down and shut-up, which they do immediatly and I spend my evening in peace and quiet.
If you don't tolerate barking, if you are consistent with training, reinforcement of good behaviour, you will be able to eliminate the bad habits they might pick up from other dogs.

Ozzy learned one bad habit from another dog - he now lifts his leg to pee - he saw another dog do it, tried it himself and now the days of my polite squatting gentleman are replaced by a crazy little boy who can't control his piddle
At first he got it everywhere, now he controls it a bit better, just don't walk infront of him!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yep, start rraining as soon as pup comes home. Reward for no barking and train a good fence call off. I have houses on all sides of me and they all have dogs out continually. Of my three GSD's, Kayos is the only one that will fence fight if she has a chance. She has an excellent call off and if she persists she goes inside while they other 2 get to stay out with me.

My dogs are never out at night or while I am at work. They are only outside if I am home with them to enforce the yard rules.

Won't be a problem unless you let it be. But since you are here and asking I think you will handle it fine and it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a very yappy dog (a jack russell)that lives next door that just keeps going(must run on duracell.lol) then on the other side of me is a very lovely akita that only barks when someone is walking there dogs behind us. Thankfully none of my dogs have picked up the jack russells bad habbit. As my gds is only a year old nearly I must have done something right, she will have a bark when someone goes by or if someone comes to the house but not all the time. When she does have a bark I firmly tell her no and if she stops she gets a big fuss.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the reassurance. They are what Jim and I like to call "Cry wolf dogs". They just bark. No rhyme or reason. Day or night. Yet the neighbor prides himself on calling them "watch dogs"..whatever. The one time they will REALLY need them to bark the neighbors won't even realize it because they are so used to hearing the bark. It's white noise basically. Over the past two years I've talked to them about this issue on several occasions, they basically don't care that their being so unthoughtful to the nieghborhood. I still go out and check though only because I am home alone with my toddler quite often. We've had a ton of cars broke in to and a few home invasions. I love my home but hate the surrounding neighborhoods. We get the low lives that come through our new nice area and cause problems. One reason I want my GSD! They are supposed to be moving soon, I really hope it goes through.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I understand fully. It drives you crazy. I never leave Greta outside unless I am out with her so she really has never had the opportunity to bark for no reason. It's a real shame people can't be more considerate of their neighbors. Believe me, when Greta barks, I look because she does not normally bark much. That said, when I clean up dog poop, Greta has to announce it to the entire neighborhood! I don't understand why but she runs around the backyard and barks like a crazy lady with her frizbee in her mouth. LOL Guess she likes a clean yard.

It was the best thing to happen to us when our neighbors house was foreclosed upon. The rest of my immediate neighbors and us partied pretty hardy the day they moved. Hope your neighbors move out too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts