German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this in the morning paper, has anyone heard of any more details. ( I don't mean graphic) I hadn't seen anything about it until this morning...

Ohio woman dies after dog attack

COSHOCTON, Ohio (AP) -- Authorities say an Ohio woman has died from injuries suffered last week when the family dog attacked her.
County sheriff's reports and a hospital spokeswoman said 35-year-old Rachael Honabarger of Coshocton died Saturday at a Columbus hospital.
Coshocton's dog warden said Honabarger was attacked Tuesday by the family's dog, a 100-pound, 3-year-old German shepherd. She is believed to have suffered wounds to her neck.
The Coshocton Tribune ( http://ohne.ws/11NmHGP ) reports that a neighbor was credited with seeing Honabarger in distress, pulling the dog off her and performing first aid until emergency personnel arrived.
---

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
OMG how dreadful. Thank God the neighbor was able to save her life.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
This story just hits me in the pit of my stomach. I have to stop reading these stories as they are freaking me out about having a gsd. I feel so bad for her family.

·
Registered
32,011 Posts
One of the reports said it was a 150 pound GSD.

I am not trying to create a conflict, but a dog is attacking a woman so that she died and a neighbor can walk up and pull the attacking dog off and put it in a kennel. A 100-150 pound dog, the neighbor was able to just pull off of her, without being attacked.

I mean, I know that when dogs are in full attack mode they will often re-direct their frustration on whatever is available. It is just odd. And what a hero. It is too bad the woman didn't make it.

I mean, she died nearly a week later. Why? This happened last Tuesday. I mean if they couldn't stop the bleeding then she would have died last week. Why did she die six days later? Could it have been shock that killed her?

How awful all the way around. Awful for her family, and what an awful way to go for a young woman. I hope it wasn't a GSD, but if it is, well, that even more awful to those of us who own and love the breed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I mean, she died nearly a week later. Why? This happened last Tuesday. I mean if they couldn't stop the bleeding then she would have died last week. Why did she die six days later? Could it have been shock that killed her?
There's other reasons she could have died afterwards other than bleeding out. It was on her neck so it could have affected her breathing that they weren't able to fix, internal bleeding, infection, removal of life support, etc.

Awful story, though. I've never even considered the possibility of my Mia doing something like that, but these are quite large, strong animals.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Selzer------" I mean, she died nearly a week later. Why? This happened last Tuesday. I mean if they couldn't stop the bleeding then she would have died last week. Why did she die six days later? Could it have been shock that killed her?"-------

It could have been septic shock, caused by infection. It could also have been that she might have had other medical conditions that were exacerbated by the trauma. A complication of surgery or anesthesia. Or, it could be possible it was not related to the dog attack at all, just coincidental timing. It is impossible to say without knowing the history specific to her case.

I think I made a comment on this a few days ago. I watched the news video----and they really didn't say anything very informative.

Like you Selzer, I thought it was extremely odd that the dog would attack and kill its owner----and this neighbor whom I gathered from the context was not very close or well acquainted with the family could just walk in, pull the dog off and put it in a kennel and not get attacked or bitten.

I think there is a lot more in the background to this than what got on the news report. It doesn't add up to me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
GSD's are NOT supposed to be inherently aggressive! They can be trained to be aggressive but you do not want a sheepdog that kills the herd its charged with protecting.

A dog that kills its owner would be unusual and there's something wrong with the dog. That is NOT normal GSD behavior.

·
Registered
32,356 Posts
GSD's are NOT supposed to be inherently aggressive! They can be trained to be aggressive but you do not want a sheepdog that kills the herd its charged with protecting.
Yes, actually they are. How do they protect the sheep from predators without having some defense and prey drives, i.e. aggression. It's why there is a protection phase in Schutzhund, to test that aggression.

A dog that kills its owner would be unusual and there's something wrong with the dog. That is NOT normal GSD behavior.
Absolutely. A GSD is not supposed to turn on their own pack.

·
Registered
624 Posts
This story just hits me in the pit of my stomach. I have to stop reading these stories as they are freaking me out about having a gsd. I feel so bad for her family.
I love my dog - what happened is a tragedy. But for every GSD that goes bad there are tens of thousands more that are happy, loving and devoted dogs! Those are the one's we don't get much publicity about. A GSD is an adaptable dog and a good family pet. Don't let an incident like this one color your perceptions of the breed or turn you against adopting a GSD.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have to disagree with the above. GSD's have inherent aggression. Otherwise, we wouldn't have PD's, or border patrol, or security dogs. There is a huge difference between inherent aggression with a stable dog and an aggressive dog.
As for the unfortunate circumstances, I have a feeling we're missing quite a few pieces of the puzzle. Something isn't right about it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes, actually they are. How do they protect the sheep from predators without having some defense and prey drives, i.e. aggression. It's why there is a protection phase in Schutzhund, to test that aggression.

Absolutely. A GSD is not supposed to turn on their own pack.
There's a difference between a dog's natural protective instincts, which are conditioned to direct it to protect sheep and outright aggression. Aggression in any dog, especially unrestrained aggression, is undesirable and considered a fault. Any dog in the family protects its own pack, whether they are humans or small animals its socialized to consider its fellow packmates.

Now some GSDs are trained for aggressive shutzhund work but no one would consider them suitable family pets.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have to disagree with the above. GSD's have inherent aggression. Otherwise, we wouldn't have PD's, or border patrol, or security dogs. There is a huge difference between inherent aggression with a stable dog and an aggressive dog.
As for the unfortunate circumstances, I have a feeling we're missing quite a few pieces of the puzzle. Something isn't right about it.
People train dogs to be aggressive in police work, border patrol or as guardian dogs of property. If GSDs were inherently aggressive, they wouldn't make suitable companions and family pets. My dog is not aggressive at all and she doesn't even bark or growl. She's a calm, happy and laid back dog as a GSD could be.

·
Registered
32,356 Posts
People train dogs to be aggressive in police work, border patrol or as guardian dogs of property. If GSDs were inherently aggressive, they wouldn't make suitable companions and family pets. My dog is not aggressive at all and she doesn't even bark or growl. She's a calm, happy and laid back dog as a GSD could be.
They can not train a dog to be "aggressive" for these lines of work. Either the dog has what it takes or doesn't. If they do not have the defense and prey drives then no trainer, no matter how good they are, can not put it in them.

And these dogs were bred to be stable. it's their stability that gives them the ability to have inherent aggression and be able to shut it off.

A couple weeks ago I went to a SchH trial. I watched an Xbox son be worked in protection and then come off the field and lick a baby. It's all about the Off Switch.

·
Registered
32,356 Posts
Now some GSDs are trained for aggressive shutzhund work but no one would consider them suitable family pets.
WHATTTTTT???????

:rofl:

I'm going to assume you don't know much about Schutzhund dogs. Contact Carmspack, Wildhaus, Wolfstraum, Johnsonhaus, Cliff...just to name a very small amount of the breeders who raise working line dogs and work them in SchH AND have those same dogs go home to live peacefully with babies.

·
Registered
624 Posts
WHATTTTTT???????

:rofl:

I'm going to assume you don't know much about Schutzhund dogs. Contact Carmspack, Wildhaus, Wolfstraum, Johnsonhaus, Cliff...just to name a very small amount of the breeders who raise working line dogs and work them in SchH AND have those same dogs go home to live peacefully with babies.
I don't have a schutzhund dog. If the dog's "off switch" works, they can live at home with a family. If it malfunctions, then its a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
32,356 Posts
I don't have a schutzhund dog. If the dog's "off switch" works, they can live at home with a family. If it malfunctions, then its a disaster waiting to happen.
Absolutely. That doesn't just go for dogs worked in SchH. That goes for all poorly bred dogs and most likely for the dog in this article.

You should find a SchH club and go meet some of the dogs. I think you'll be very impressed and have a good appreciation for what a stable, balanced, dog is. And...it's fun to watch. :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
:rofl: I'm sorry, the GSD's, Rotts, Dobes, Pitts, Akitas, Corso etc are really labs and retrievers in different coats. That is, until the sociopath human turns them!

:help:

With that, I'm out.:crazy:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yup. I'd rather hang out at a SchH event then a general pet fair type of event, it's safer. :)

Absolutely. That doesn't just go for dogs worked in SchH. That goes for all poorly bred dogs and most likely for the dog in this article.

You should find a SchH club and go meet some of the dogs. I think you'll be very impressed and have a good appreciation for what a stable, balanced, dog is. And...it's fun to watch. :)

·
Registered
32,356 Posts
Breed Standard

United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Breed Standard

Character
The German Shepherd should appear poised, calm, self confident, absolutely at ease, and (except when agitated) good natured, but also attentive and willing to serve. He must have courage, fighting drive, and hardness in order to serve as companion, watchdog, protection dog, service dog, and herding dog.

Fighting drive = inherent aggression. That doesn't mean an unstable dog that jumps at everything but one that will not back down from a threat.

I wonder if maybe the definition of "inherent aggression" is not the same in everyone's mind? The dogs should not be nerve bags. Nerve bags + inherent aggression = dangerous dog. Stable + inherent aggression = breed standard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts