German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a maltese and I have always wanted a gsd. Even if we do get one, it would be a couple of years down the road. Do any of you have toy breeds and a shepherd? Is it a bad idea? I am interested to hear your experiences :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
I tried a mixed breed rescue that had a terrier in it. She was about 16 pounds. My GSD was awesome with her, trying to give her toys and play, making sure he did not step on her.

The mixed breed ended up being the issue and kept attacking my GSD and being toy aggressive with him. Of course my GSD is huge so they think she was a shy fearful small dog.

My GSD likes dogs of all sizes and is used for puppy evaluations at daycare.

So in my opinion, the GSD is great if they are properly socialized. If your small dog is great around large dogs I do not see an issue.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i agree with vegas-if you teach them from the beginning it shouldn't be a problem. my shepherds best friend is shih tzu and he plays pretty well

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My parents had a cavalier king charles spaniel up until about 2 months ago (he recently passed), but Lucy was around this dog since I brought her home and they always did great together. Never had one issue when together.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Here is Mauser and Spike, one of my Chinese Cresteds, playing fetch while some CC babies roam around my feet:

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have a mini doxie (aprox 12 lbs.) and a 90 lb GSD. He is great with her. He does sometimes get a little rough, he is very physical with his front paws. She just lets him know she has had enough and he backs down.

One of the games they play is he puts her entire head into his mouth. She licks the back of his throat (eeckk) while he mouths her head. Drives me crazy.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Mauser is a SAINT when it comes ot putting up with the CC boys!! Here he is with Fuego and Spike:

Mauser is allowed to jump up on me - when INVITED. I will NOT teach him to jump up into my arms!! I'm not that strong!! :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca is great with small and toy dogs. I have cats and she is very careful around them and I think that's why she is good with small dogs too, she's used to being careful around the cats. I've even seen her play with her friend Calvin, a husky mix who she plays very rough with, and play with a little Chihuahua mix Daniel at the same time and manage to moderate her play style towards Daniel while still playing as usual with Calvin!

Here they are together (taken at a dog event, not when playing which is why they're on leash):

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a mini doxie (aprox 12 lbs.) and a 90 lb GSD. He is great with her. He does sometimes get a little rough, he is very physical with his front paws. She just lets him know she has had enough and he backs down.

One of the games they play is he puts her entire head into his mouth. She licks the back of his throat (eeckk) while he mouths her head. Drives me crazy.
You have to love the head swallow. Mine does the same. MY boy can hold the neck or paws of a pup and mouth so gentle you do not hear a squeak. He can be a body slammer though and is working line west german. So my breeder says when we do get a match for him to get a large size mellow female for him.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I will let you know soon. Two weeks from today, I am dogsitting a maltese and shih tzu mix for a month. I am a bit worried about it, but the owner told me these exact words-if something happens to my dog because of your big dogs-don't worry about it, just dig a whole in the yard and bury him. I, of course, and going to take all precautions that nothing happens to the little guy.

Lauri, your video was comforting to me. It makes it look so easy to have little and big dogs together. Your GSD is so careful with the crescent. Thanks for posting that video.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My German Shepherds live with a Chihuahua, a JRT and a Cairn Terrier, they all get along great, and in the winter months, the Chihuahua snuggles up against the Shepherds chest, they have been great friends with each other.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have a 6 lb maltese and 5 gsd's. I've always had a maltese (one at a time, on my 3rd) and at least one gsd. Just teach them (gsd) when they are young and you will be fine...and they will be very curious about the 'stuffed animal' that moves!

Maltese are great little dogs as they are not yappy like yorkies an chihuahuas and they don't shed. I've been a big dog lover my entire life and have owned/shown great danes, english mastiffs and gsd's. The maltese is the only small dog I would ever own and I've not been without once since I got my first one 30 years ago.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have two Pomeranian brothers and a Chinese Crested. One of the Poms is Sheva's personal groomer and pillow, it seems. The Chinese Crested is her little buddy. They play very well (and often) together. Patches will even bounce off her, run off several yards, turn quick to see if Sheva is chasing her, jump forward, check again, and repeat until it works. They love to play tag and both of them are too smart. We have an open kitchen/dining/living room with an island thing in the middle so patches, who is way faster, will get around, then anticipate where Sheva is and will go the opposite direction to hide from her. When Sheva figures it out, she reverses and so does Patches. Got cute when Sheva got older, though. When Patches finally does run, he runs beside the couch. Sheva used to follow but now she just jumps over the couch and cuts him off.

It can work!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I currently have a Minature Schnauzer that is 5 months old and my parents had a Toy Poodle. My GSD is a male intact 2 year old dominant shepherd. But for some reason with small dogs. he's a big puppy and is really careful when playing with them. They play together great.

One time he stepped on the pups foot and she whelped. He felt bad and walked away with his head down.

Just as long as they are socialized with smaller dogs from when they were pups it's a perfect match.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I will NOT teach him to jump up into my arms!! I'm not that strong!! :)
I don't know- that ball throw at 0:42 in your first video was pretty insane! Maybe it was the camera angle? :eek:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Don't you guys think it all depends on the dog and it's pray drive? Also a big part of it is getting them socialized with small dogs really early in life.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Virgil is 94lbs (hopefully less by now) and all my other dogs are under 30lbs. They do fine together :p In fact, the little dogs are more likely to push Virgil around.

Also, Virgil has INCREDIBLY HIGH prey drive. I got him a few months ago, he's 4yrs old. He was NEVER socialized with dogs other than the lab he lived in the backyard with. Because he's incredibly well bred (lucky me for finding him) he does great with my dogs. So I really think it has a lot to do with the dogs breeding than anything else... though socialization is also very important... I've seen poorly bred dogs socialized ad naseum and still end up as 'not safe' around other animals.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Don't you guys think it all depends on the dog and it's pray drive? Also a big part of it is getting them socialized with small dogs really early in life.
My GSD has more than enough prey drive and will chase any small critter that runs. She'll just stare out her window and wait for a squirrel to enter her yard. Don't even mention the "S" word around her unless you want to see her get all worked up.

She's also GREAT with little dogs. Extremely tolerant and gentle with them. She grew up with them and I trust her 100% with pretty much any little dog that can tolerate being around a big dog... not all of them can.

Just my experience though. I'm sure not every GSD is like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts