German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, for the past few days we have had hot weather down here in Melbourne, Australia. This will be Shadow's first real summer as a bigger dog with a much thicker coat, the heat is really bothering her. She is hardly eating anything, panting like there is no tomorrow and generally looks miserable. In fact she was so not herself my son and I took her to the vet yesterday just to make sure it was just the heat and nothing more sinister.
The vet complimented us on her beautiful coat and gorgeous teeth, she said she has excellent hydration, hips look good, eyes look great etc etc. She said her hair is so thick no wonder why the heat is effecting her. She said that generally she is a picture of perfect health, however she also said that once the weather drops (thank goodness it's cooler and raining today) if she doesn't improve bring her back in for blood tests and a urine test, just in case.
The vet informed us Shadow still has some growing to do :eek: her growth plates obviously haven't closed yet. She is 27 inches tall and 87.5 pounds already at 12 and a half months. Holy cow how much bigger will she get!!
How bad did the heat effect your dogs?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
My pack hates the heat. I live in Texas so summers are long and hot. They stay indoors most of the time to keep them cool. They will go out to potty but want right back in. They cut way back on their eating and just aren't hungry...can't blame them, I don't get too hungry when it's triple digits either. They aren't nearly as active either.

Does she get to stay inside?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes she stays in. right under the air con. lol
She has also moved bed rooms, I have a portable air con in my room, my son has a couple of fans. Shadow used to sleep in my son's room, she has now decided that my bed and air con are there for her. Needless to say she is a bed hog and I'm not getting much sleep. ahhh well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dogs when healthy and not too old can handle temps up to the low 90's with med to high humidity fairly well. I'll usually see a drop in appetite and activity, increased panting and water drinking. Less urination. Am very careful to watch their urination and make sure it is not too dark or too infrequent as this could be a sign of inadequate water or kidney problems.

If no A/C or fan is available then I keep them in the shade or at least out of direct sunlight, make sure they have fresh cool water throughout the day, keep their undercoat & outer coat fully brushed out. They seem to really enjoy ice cubes on days like that as well :wild:

I've noticed bigger dogs, especially if they have extra fat, seem to handle heat worse than thinner ones. Likely they retain more heat & their body has to work harder to stay cool on hot days. The same as humans.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
During the summer we take walks at night and play with a sprinkler or kiddie pool that we bought for Max so he can get some exercise during the day. In general though his energy level is lower during the summer months and picks up once it gets cooler. Max loooves playing with water--"hose" and "sprinkler" are magic words!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Summers here in Central Texas can be pretty brutal. Not unusual to see 110 plus degrees for weeks on end.
Make sure your animal has plenty of cool fresh water available. Brush him daily to keep him as light coated as possible. DJ loves playing in the sprinkler when it's really hot. Keep him inside if possible during the worst days or else a nice shady spot out doors. Let him eat what he will eat. They'll hardly touch food sometimes in the worst of it. Last but not least they are more durable than most people think, but I would still limit his exercise time to the cool of the evening ... :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody hates the heat also here in Florida. If it is really sunny he tries to hide under a tree to get away from the sun. We usually have ball time or longer walks early in the morning or when it's dark out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts