German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I've been asking a million questions since I've joined sorry! =)

So, it seems my husband's hinting has come to fruition this morning. I'm talking small talk about the idiot dogs next door and telling him about the good advice I received about the "barking" if I get a dog. He finally breaks down and said that he'd like a lab since he's had one in the past and loved Marley (his black lab). I had two golden labs as a kid and loved them as well. I have my heart set on a GSD. I hope that I can get my GSD first, then after a year or so maybe look in to getting a lab. How does this combo seem to work? I know there's always good and bad, but both seem like such loyal family dogs with big hearts and a willingness to have fun with their families. Am I right on this one or do you have advice for me to consider?

·
Registered
945 Posts
We have a wonderful lab and a great gsd. The combo seems to be great. What one doesn't seem to catch as far as paying attention to things the other does. My lab is alot more calm than the gsd but in her own way she calms the gsd down. I could go on with this topic forever.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I have a Lab & GSD too. The Lab is the brain and all serious, the GSD action & fun. They balance each other well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also have a GSD and a LabX. Tasha, our GSD, grew up with two purebred labs, Knight (field trial lines) and Sunny (show lines). I think that the labs helped to "mellow out" Tasha's temperament a bit and certainly introduced her to the joys of swimming and retrieving.

At the present time, Tasha's "brother" is Trip, a LabX from the SPCA. Tasha definitely wears the pants in the family, but they really are good company for each other.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have a Chocolate lab she is the muscle and beatch and Brady is the fun one. The lab always has Brady's back.
it is a great combo

·
Registered
340 Posts
I currently have a male black lab (9 years old) and a female gsd (19 months old). There is such an age difference, Heidi gets a bit too rambunctious for Buddy. This is my second lab/gsd pair. Previously I had a female chocolate lab and a male gsd. Those two were two peas in a pod, closer in age and best buds.

Heidi needs a little brother, but thats for another thread.

I, personally (and maybe biased) think its a great mix.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I love to hear the stories! Does anyone have any preference as to which to get first or which should be male of female? OR is it just as long as one is male and the other is female?

Jim mentioned he'd like to check in to a rescue for the lab. Not right now, but it seems that's the way he wants to go. Maybe he may turn in to a dog person afterall if I encourage him to get the lab the way he wants to then this could be a real good thing.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Toozer's best buddy is a lab named Emma!
Emma belongs to one of my clients (I do pet sitting and dog walking) and I have been working with her since she was 11 weeks old. She is like "my other dog." Em and Tooz do all sorts of stuff together. As a matter of fact, Emma is staying at my house right now while her family is on vacation!

Out on a hike:

Begging to come back inside:

After the St Patrick's Day parade:

With Bailey the golden (who belongs to another client):

For some reason, Tooz loves those retriever types! I have tried to sit her down and have a talk with her but it does no good. Crikey...her bf is a chessie!

Tooz and her boyfriend:

Honestly, I do think the gsd/lab pairing is a good one. The gsd having the brains of course!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CUTE pictures! That star cracks me up! =) And the look on their faces in the snow pic, "Let me in let me in!"

Ahh...St Patty's Day Parade- we were out in NYC last year for it. My husband's dream come true to walk in the parade. He and some FF buddies we all braved the horrible snow storm last year, got the last flight out and they walked in the parade. =)

The dogs look fantastic!

·
Registered
619 Posts
We have an almost 6 month old GSD and a 10 year old lab/retriever mix...great combination

·
Registered
72 Posts
When our male GSD was 7 months old, we realized with his energy that he would benefit from a live-in buddy maybe a couple of years older. Searched petfinder.com and quickly found a wonderful choc. lab but she was only 10 months old. Thankfully, we went ahead and adopted her because they are terrific together. She is so very loving with all people and dogs and they have a blast together. My fear is when they both hit their golden years that it will be torture for me to lose them around the same time but no sense looking ahead for heartache just enjoying them both now.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
In a secluded grotto under the swaying stately elms, Grimm and Bekki enjoy their clandestine meeting daily at the park. Her silky obsidian ears beguile, her flaws flap beguillingly...
and Grimm just melts for her.
Bekki is a black Lab, aged 12, Grimmi is a GSD, aged 21 goofy months. They get on famously!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Patti,
you should seriously consider writing as a profession! I LOVE each and every one of your posts; you have such a very original and entertaining way of wording things!
Maybe a book about your adventures in germany with Mr. Doofus?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
As long as you socialize the heck out of both dogs when they are puppies. And go to a RESPONSIBLE breeder to get good tempermented pups, Labs and GSD's are a great mix. I started with a yellow Lab and now just have GSD's.

All my girls..

With friends dogs, I love these cause I had the camera and trying to get my dogs (Elsa GSD and Maggie yellow Lab along with Bretta sable GSD) to stay, and watching my friends try to get their dogs set up...

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Most of the subsequent posts have said everything you need to know.

My only concerns, male/male or female/female perhaps not, but just based onlimitied esperience.

One other thing that drives me nuts. I do rescue work for the GSD. Yet they are all so different. Most are great with my son's labs, but every now and then I get one that is a bit of a problem.

Why does it drive me nuts. Because of all the good advice on ths board no one has clearly pointed out that each individual dog is different.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I agree with every response - great balance. I'm partial to Black Labs but never met a Lab I didn't like. Glad there's thought being given to rescue - so many great adults and puppies out there - tons of PB puppies especially - one rescue in particular comes to mind - Labs4rescue.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts