German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So I have been interested for a long time in getting a kitten. My 4 year old GSD who has never lived with another animal has a pretty high prey drive. He likes to chase all kinds small animals. He isn't aggressive (never ever to people, on very few occasions to dogs only in a reactive manner). However, the one time he has met a cat he was very interested, didn't attack it but simply sniffed it a very interested way. He isn't protective of his home I don't think, we have brought multiple dogs in here and let them alone with him without any problems. He also isn't food aggressive, only slightly with his toys and only with other dogs. He is well trained, yet when he sees a small animal such as a cat in a setting where he can chase he is locked on it and doesn't listen to me very well. I am not sure if his drive is curiosity based or is he really is wanting to attack the small animals he chases.

Is it even possible to get a cat? can he understand them and get used to them ? does anyone with some experience with a situation have any suggestions on a way I am able to do this without jeopardizing the mental well being of the cat?

thank you all for your help

Registered
I've had dogs and cats together all my life. Some do well some do not. Only you know your dog. Even though my girl Kiya lived with cats since she was 14 weeks old it took me almost 6 months to get her to accept my new kitten.
You have to protect that kitten no matter what. If your adopting the kitten maybe they would work with you and take it back if it doesn't work out.
My girl Lakota absolutely loves cats, but she likes cat food better.

Registered
I've always had dogs and cats, I just got 2 kittens a few months ago and have not only German Shepherds but 3 EXTREMELY prey driven terriers. I start with the kittens being locked in a big crate with a litter box and water where the dogs can see and smell them and get used to their presence, I drape half the crate with a blanket so the kittens feel safe. I correct any aggressive behavior, but curiosity is not discouraged, I let them see me feed the kittens and understand they are not to be killed but MY pets, eventually when the dogs are no longer so obsessed with them, I allow the kittens to come out, with the dogs of course controlled, I've never had a problem yet, and in fact my neighbor was laughing at me yesterday as I looked like the Pied Piper bringing a mare in with my dogs and 2 cats following me, the cats pounce and jump on the dogs and love chasing them, they even lay next to my Shepherd and play with her tail. It takes a while to let them all get used to each other, you can't rush it.

Registered
That's the key thing is to not rush things. That's a common mistake people make. I also have dogs and cats together and one thing I want to add too is to not let the cat pester the dog unfairly. Yes the dogs have to realize that they can't harm the cats,but I also think it's important to protect your dog(s) sometimes too. My first cat always attacked the dogs viciously whenever they walked by or even if they were asleep. It took a few months to get this under control,but it no longer happens.

It takes a while to let them all get used to each other, you can't rush it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your advice, it really helps.

If I even get one, I definitely will be very very slow in letting them get to know one another and keep them segregated untill I feel sam has become comfortable with the kitten and understands it has a place in the household too.

Although he has a high prey drive (he swam across an entire wide river chasing geese one time) it doesn't seem to me like he wants to hurt the things he chases, so I'm hoping with time and careful socialization all will be well. He is very smart and listens to me well so I'm hoping he will be able to adapt.

Registered
I have had my cat for over a year and still cannot get her to stop attacking my shepherd when he walks by her or try's to sniff her. So sometimes it can also be that the cat will not accept the dog. She loves my other dog but will never accept my shepherd. So yea best advice is to supervise and control the situation. :)

Premium Member
I always had cats in the house before getting a puppy, just the way things worked out. Was never an issue. chance has not grown up with cat though and is my first dog that hasn't had a cat here first. If you do get a kitten, please keep us posted on how your dog does. I am thinking about getting a kitten, but very hesitant.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
If you do get a kitten, please keep us posted on how your dog does. I am thinking about getting a kitten, but very hesitant.
I most definitely will. I am also very hesitant so it might be a little while before I feel confident enough but will absolutely write about the outcome !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts