German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
For all I know the yotes are blocking the owner and dog from the direction they need to go/car/home etc but
I don't understand why the owner would allow that situation to go on for 9+ minutes to the point where his Dobe grows nonchalant as if there is no threat and you can turn your back and attention from them. Very bad decision.

That dog should have been heeled/leashed immediately and you make the decision to either withdraw or else pursue and drive them back. With that passive dog, I would withdraw.

The area I see them in near my house is generally much more open (woods) than that and with the way my dog is, I would pursue and drive them out of my turf. Before someone attempts to tell me how dangerous that would be, I have done it literally dozens of times (only to three yotes max though, I admit).

There is virtually zero chance a 40 pound coyote(s) will get anywhere close to a 6' male human with a 4-5' cudgel and an 80 pound aggressive (to them) male GSD. My 7 month old already goes hackles up at their scent. He'll easily top out at 90-100 pounds and zero coyotes will go near them. I need to get video to show their reactions :giggle:

·
Registered
168 Posts
i cringed everytime that dobe turned it's back on those yotes and trotted away. a group of them that large can and will take down a dog the size of a dobe easily. They can take down a mature white tail buck, they can take down a good sized dog on it's own. i applaud you WNGD for doing exactly what should do be done.. Strike the fear of the almighty into those animals and it will save livestock and animals, but i always carry something bigger than a stick ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hear a lot of traffic noise in background, everything from trucks to a motorcycle. Sounds like they are not too far from civilization. Depending on where it is, that may explain why owner does not fire any warning shots. It kinda looks like Southern California. Could, unfortunately, bring down more trouble on him than the coyotes are worth.

But I'd agree the owner ought to have leashed him. Sometimes people get too caught up in filming with their phone or go pro or whatever, and forget common sense.

I can't tell if the Dobe is truly passive, or just has very good recall. My female GSD probably would have lit up barking. On walks around the neighborhood she absolutely lights up and sounds off when she sees a coyote at night. We have yet to see one with the dog in daylight. I did see one cross a four lane busy street in broad daylight a while back.

I count at least five in the video, and they appear all too comfortable around people and at least one large dog.

In my urban neighborhood, I still carry something "bigger than a stick" at night, but I have to be awfully careful about actually using it. My neighbors are close by, houses on top of houses, and most would be more afraid of an armed human than a nuisance coyote. You would not think we'd have as much wildlife as we do, but we have raccoons, foxes (at times), coyotes, deer, rabbits (at times), occasional wood chuck, owls and hawks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i cringed everytime that dobe turned it's back on those yotes and trotted away. a group of them that large can and will take down a dog the size of a dobe easily. They can take down a mature white tail buck, they can take down a good sized dog on it's own. i applaud you WNGD for doing exactly what should do be done.. Strike the fear of the almighty into those animals and it will save livestock and animals, but i always carry something bigger than a stick ;)
Can't shoot them where I live (edge of town) but truthfully, not sure that I'd want to. I love seeing all things in nature (except skunks lol) and don't even mind the bears at our cottage. Them I back away from but they're booking it in the other direction anyways (never seen one with young cubs but cubs yes).

As long as those coyotes show proper fear of me and the dog(s), I'll continue to drive them back into the valley and off my property and the paths through the subdivision. If I could shoot a noise banger at them it might be even more effective to stop them keep coming back out regularly.

Probably save some little dog on a leash that way. Doesn't mean I hate them though ....:sneaky:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can't shoot them where I live (edge of town) but truthfully, not sure that I'd want to. I love seeing all things in nature (except skunks lol) and don't even mind the bears at our cottage. Them I back away from but they're booking it in the other direction anyways (never seen one with young cubs but cubs yes).

As long as those coyotes show proper fear of me and the dog(s), I'll continue to drive them back into the valley and off my property and the paths through the subdivision. If I could shoot a noise banger at them it might be even more effective to stop them keep coming back out regularly.

Probably save some little dog on a leash that way. Doesn't mean I hate them though ....:sneaky:
i don't like them because i deer hunt and they like to eat deer (among other things).. So you can see my disgust with them. i understand they are part of the 'food chain' but so am i.. and i like venison more than them lol

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
i don't like them because i deer hunt and they like to eat deer (among other things).. So you can see my disgust with them. i understand they are part of the 'food chain' but so am i.. and i like venison more than them lol
How much can you eat though :giggle:
Around here, the deer could use a few more predators and a bit more of a culling

41 - 46 of 46 Posts