German Shepherds Forum banner
241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 · (Edited)
Aww,baby bunnies:love:Another adorable pest are chipmunks. They can burrow under or climb over fencing and take little bites out of everything. I don't mind sharing if they would just take a few pieces instead of grazing. The little brats like to tease the dogs too,chattering away just out of reach up a tree.A couple of overconfident chipmunks have met their demise misjudging Misty's hunting/climbing skills.
Chipmunks aren't great climbers unlike their more pesty rodent cousins the red squirrel (100X the destruction of chipmunks) and can sometimes fall out of trees with the right dog encouragement.....

We live with a lot of trees and woods around us and can sometimes count 5-6-7 squirrels on the lawn to drive the dogs crazy. It's good for the hawk's hunting ground too ..... this years bunny visited the side garden this afternoon

·
Registered
552 Posts
The chipmunk fortunately moved two houses down lol. My immediate next door neighbour was trying to trap it but stopped after it moved on.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Strange we haven't seen the coyotes in about a month (except my neighbor said an adult and the litter were on her lawn (backing onto woods) a few weeks back. I guessed they don't want to bring the younger ones near my house with the two dogs often off-leash.

But we were walking along the pond yesterday morning early and one popped out of the long grass about 100 feet in front of us, took one look at the dogs and started running away. Rogan ran it off into the woods again and recalled well. He's even recalling well off rabbits which is a big tease for them; tons around right now which of course brings in the coyotes....

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
I feel like I missed out on a great opportunity last night. :(
My wife and I were up at the cottage with our two GSD last Sunday to Friday, great hot sunny weather, lake is warm, fish were cooperating, spent some time visiting different friends we didn't get to see much during last Summer's COVID issues. Was a nice break.

She turned around and went back up with my daughter last night for a few days, just the two of them. Neighbor came over today to say a black bear had tried to get into their locked metal garbage bin and threw it around like a toy about 4:00 AM. My wife said she now knows it wasn't a raccoon in our recycling box outside the back door :oops:
Only stuff that is rinsed and clean is in there but evidently enough to interest the big bad black bear.

We haven't had a bear come right down to the cottage (that I know) in a decade or more although we occasionally seem them on the road in or hear of them seen around the lake, raiding bird feeders or getting into garbage that renters don't store properly.

I really wish I had been up there and would have been good to see how the boys would react to Yogi outside and I'm fairly confident it wouldn't get to the house without raising the ire of the hounds....whenever we have seen them before, Harley has lit them up and they turn tail just about as fast as they can. Thankfully haven't come across Momma and cubs together.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Oh geez. Just took the dogs out into the 'inner' complex (accesses two roads, but it's central to all the buildings) for a quick nighttime potty. I took Agis and Neb, our eldest (13.5 years oldish) down the elevators (Neb struggles with stairs) and my husband went down the stairs with Xerxes the Attack Beagle (who does not excel at the lobby). Got out - where are Toby and Xerxes? Cross the median over onto the grassy area near a path behind some cars.

Then I hear Toby and a friend who has a toy poodle...'Watch out for the coyote, right in front of you!' Uhh, where? Seconds later, ~4 metres away is a coyote who looked around Agis height (perhaps not as muscular but Agis is over 50lbs, this was a good sized coyote). Coyote trots by unphased. I considered seeing if Agis would react, but I also have an elderly dog and I don't know how habituated the darned thing is. It passes by, I walk over to my husband, Xerxes, and our friend Sue with TinTin. A cyclist who had warned Sue it was behind her and TinTin came by and said, I've got a toy dog too, and I've seen this one around, it's bold. He rode around and said it was gone, but Sue still cut TinTin's nighttime outdoor time short.

I've seen coyotes walking down the street here, and crossing into yards out on runs, but that coyote was close. I still have some adrenaline from it being so near.

Xerxes the Attack Beagle did have a grand old time following the coyote's scent around the complex lawns.

·
Registered
Annie
128 Posts
I remember reading through this thread shortly before we brought our first GSD home, and wondering how she would handle the local wildlife (raccoons, deer, squirrels, a few coyotes).

Well, I came back here to share that me and Annie were walking past a small wooded area separating our neighborhood from another one at 4:30am this morning and I spotted 3 female deer about 25 feet away. I stopped and stood still and Annie barely acknowledged them! No growling, whining, or excitement. She definitely saw them and got a good sniff though. She gets more worked up about birds in the sky!

Maybe she just didn't feel threatened by the ungulates and had no desire to chase/kill/eat them!? She knew they weren't a threat for sure. I expected some "drama" from the whole episode but it was boring :D . Annie is alot more cautious and careful in the dark, so that probably played into it a bit.

·
Super Moderator
8,100 Posts
Rabbits are what make my dogs crazy.Deer poop is much more interesting than the actual deer 🤣

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
The only predators here would be foxes and hawks and have to to watch the chihuahua. Not that wild turkeys are predators but they can be pretty agressive with each other and have to weigh about 30 lbs or more. Watching turkeys fight is quite a site to see. Always had wild turkeys in the yard that would visit the yard on occasssion looking for left over seeds from the bird feeder. They were not much of a pest and pretty cool to see. When Bella my King Charles was at her end, the wild turkeys seems to slowly invade the yard. It was interesting how they sensed her weakness. Once Bella passed away and we only had Topper our chihuahua the wild Turkeys took over the back yard . They could not be chased away by me no matter what I did. I cleaned up turkey poop daily. Getting Max as a pup he would watch them stand his ground and just seem to study them. Not in a menacing way and would not bark but just intently watch them. He seemed to know as an 8 week old pup he was out numbered. The wild turkeys disregarded the small little pup that was studying their every move. As max grew the wild turkeys became less and less around. Real quick the turkeys learned to stay away from the backyard for good. The wild turkeys will walk by check out the house but not one will set foot in the back yard.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Recently completed a move from small urban lot to 59 acres. At first, we weren't seeing a lot of wildlife except for hawks and barn swallows. Previous owner is, for the time being, keeping his 28 cows on the premises. They likely depart in November.

Anyway, starting last week, we've seen one red fox, crossing the dam of the stock pond; rabbit; deer; and finally, yesterday, a coyote who trotted through a pasture. We were able to keep a line of sight on him as he crossed part of our land, then went right through some of the neighbor's cow herd. Probably 300-400 yards away, at the closest point.

We also saw a coyote cross a country road in daylight, maybe 8:00 AM Saturday morning.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
I have no idea why (at first I though they were keeping this Spring's pups far away from us, could still be the case) but we haven't seen any coyotes this Summer at all. With Harley not being coyote friendly, they're the only thing he snarls at and Rogan being fully 110 pounds and nearly two years, they just might be smart enough to stay away. Plus, I've run them off enough and hurled enough things at them that maybe they're getting the message to skirt this property.

Coyotes have to be hazed, period. There's no other way to keep them on their toes and I haven't seen one yet that will stand its ground with a 200 pound man and a 100 pound GSD coming at them. They don't like being followed and I have done that dozens of times for thousands of yards; they're just like any canidae/canid and will avoid situations they repeatedly find uncomfortable.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Funny a few people mentioned rabbits above.
This has been the expected Summer of rabbits, they are everywhere and often don't move until you're very close on the trails. The grass and wildflowers around the 3 acre pond beside me is very long and thick and they can disappear into it at the last second and still be pretty safe and get away.

This morning I was coming back from our morning walk, almost home and I snapped Rogan on the long line where we come around a blind corner. Harley was 20 feet ahead, suddenly stiffened up the way they do when there's a person/dog/squirrel in sight and began to break so I knew it was wildlife. I gave him a quick "Harley, come!" and he stopped on a dime and came to heel. He always does but I'm still impressed with him every time. I rounded the corner to see what he had in sight and there was a nice fat rabbit maybe 30 feet away. Then I let them run it :p and have a good sniff-fest. Rabbits and squirrels are active and absolutely everywhere right now.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Somewhere months ago in this thread I mentioned I hadn't seen our coyotes in quite a long time and then on cue, I saw one the next day.

So I should have known better yesterday than to say that I hadn't seen them again all Summer.
Walking the dogs this morning about 7:45 and I look up and there he is at the other end of the pond. As soon as he saw us, he started trotting away looking back over his shoulder every few steps. Rogan (leashed) went nuts, let out a huge bark and Harley ran up from behind. At that point the coyote started running away around a corner 100 feet further away and that's the last I saw him.

I don't know what it is about the sight/smell of coyotes but the dogs get very angry and agitated. I don't need to tell most of you how strong a determined GSD is when they bulldoze on a leash. It's just good to see the yotes still want nothing to do with us.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We just don’t have coyotes around much this year. Normally we hear them almost nightly but this year virtually nothing! Our city has an interactive map to report sightings and there’s nothing for our neighbourhood. Rabbits on the other hand are a plague. And now skunks are around like crazy. Django went mental the other night and I saw a massive skunk going by our neighbour’s side yard. Thank goodness for the fence or we’d be dealing with stinky puppy.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
I've seen skunks actually chase dogs in broad daylight. Stamp their feet, run at them again. Stinky little buggers

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm starting to wonder about the squirrels around here.

We saw one this week eating another (dead) squirrel. I knew they are omnivores, but the cannibalism...yuck. The (live) squirrel saw us and its body language just dared us at our own peril to try to take the dead one away.

• Wow
Reactions: NadDog24 and cagal

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
I really should learn to keep my mouth shut when I say that I haven't seen the coyotes for a long time; there he was again this morning about 8:00 am exact same spot other end of the pond. I yell at it to get lost, Rogan goes nuts and I let Harley run it off. Came back with perfect recall, good boy. Dogs are filled with adrenaline the rest of the walk, not the easiest way to start the day.

While this is all happening, I see the two older ladies coming from the other side of the coyote. They said at first they thought Mr Yote was one of my dogs and then thought I might have had 3 with me. They were very appreciative that we happened to be there and gave Harley lots of pets :p

Hopefully that keeps Mr Yote away again for awhile, this is our hunting area....

·
Registered
552 Posts
I didn’t see signs of coyotes for ages but a few days ago saw some poop that’s definitely coyote. Django also found (and consumed) the remains of what looks like a rabbit. Blech. I’m going to have to be more vigilant when I walk him in that area which is a shame as it’s very quiet so perfect for us to work on obedience without a lot of distractions and to to just let off some steam.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Hey Cagal, funny you posted this today because my son dropped by this afternoon for a walk with my Granddaughter (1). I happened to be looking way down the trail maybe 100 yards ahead as we walked along our pond and there was Mr coyote. He immediately started trotting in the opposite direction but I leashed up both dogs and turned around (no sense in pushing it to get the dogs worked up with the baby with us). I'm glad Mr yote has the good sense to want nothing to do with two GSD but we're seeing him far far far too often.

I chatted with two older ladies that I see often on my morning walks that had seen them in their yards mid day twice this week. My area backs onto a lot of wooded areas and Bruce Trail so it's just a reality that they're here. Only a matter of time until a tragedy too....flippin' things are not scared and not shy and not hiding

·
Registered
552 Posts
@WNGD I was at a friend’s house a few days ago and the coyotes were crazy at her place and she’s 10 minutes from me (she backs onto a golf course near the Credit). Her GSD was going mental. I live near a hydro corridor and they’re doing a lot of work there so I think their habitat has been disrupted by my house which has just made them temporarily move, I’m going to have to be more watchful for sure. I like to take him really early on our walk to keep triggers down but I may need to rethink that.

241 - 260 of 266 Posts