German Shepherds Forum banner
221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
People feed them either on purpose or by feeding outdoor pets, or just leaving food accessible to them. They have become fearless.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
People feed them either on purpose or by feeding outdoor pets, or just leaving food accessible to them. They have become fearless.
Thousands of squirrels and plenty of outdoor cats are the main culprits around here. Oddly enough, maybe due to the trees fully filled in as much as anything, we haven't seen any in the last month of so since the locals had their Spring litter. Likely thinking they don't want even young-ish ones near my place and smart thinking on their part for that one.

I put two coyote warning signs up along the trail near me and one was taken down/stolen the first night.....

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
I put two coyote warning signs up along the trail near me and one was taken down/stolen the first night.....
Coyotes aren’t smart enough to remove the sign, so it was a supporter (joking,of course, but still). Why wouldn’t they want people warned? We have a local website. Most want the coyotes gone but a vocal group want them protected and blame the people.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
Coyotes aren’t smart enough to remove the sign, so it was a supporter (joking,of course, but still). Why wouldn’t they want people warned? We have a local website. Most want the coyotes gone but a vocal group want them protected and blame the people.
I just want them to stay wild and stay in the woods not between the houses, not following people on trails and not snatching small pets. None of which I blame them for but yes, they have become far to acclimatized to people and free opportunistic meals.

·
Registered
440 Posts
People feed them either on purpose or by feeding outdoor pets, or just leaving food accessible to them.
Now that you mention it, one thing puzzling in my old neighborhood is that the coyotes do not seem to scavenge trash cans. It would be a pretty target rich environment if they did, but I haven't seen any evidence of it with my own cans or any neighbor's. There may be a few cats that get their pet food outdoors. The rabbit population fluctuates a lot. You'll see a lot of rabbits, then a few weeks later, wonder where all the rabbits went.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Now that you mention it, one thing puzzling in my old neighborhood is that the coyotes do not seem to scavenge trash cans. It would be a pretty target rich environment if they did, but I haven't seen any evidence of it with my own cans or any neighbor's. There may be a few cats that get their pet food outdoors. The rabbit population fluctuates a lot. You'll see a lot of rabbits, then a few weeks later, wonder where all the rabbits went.
We have wild rabbits. Maybe that is their food source. I didn’t think about that. And of course all the small pets they snatch. A lot have been taken the last year. It’s very bad to the point that people with small dogs don’t leave them outside at all, ever. I take mine out on leash at night and I have a big pushbroom nearby in cash I need to fight one off, if I even could.

·
Super Moderator
5,903 Posts
We hunt coyote in these parts all year long. They have no natural predators left, no real competition for food and the population would explode without management. When we lived in the country, I took around 8 a year. Just the ones that came up around the house. Valor and I come across them occasionally when hiking, particularly in State Parks where hunting is prohibited and wildlife is plentiful, but they don't come close at all. I always carry a firearm just in case but haven't had the need to deal with any other than observation.

·
Super Moderator
3,053 Posts
The thing about coyotes is that if you kill the "wrong" one within a finite area, it triggers the rest of the females to come into heat, rapidly. So instead of one litter in one calendar year, you can easily get four or five or six or more.

I'm not against the removal of known problem animals. I've had to do it, I'm within my legal rights to do it, and I'm sure it'll happen again at some point. But I've watched coyote population explosions after resident pack dynamic is interrupted.

One of my mentors - big working sheep farm - told me years ago that she is not worried at all about the coyotes that live in the side of her hill, near her flock and her lambs. She said the only reason she will have a problem is if someone kills the female, sending her daughters/sisters all into heat at the same time, and throwing the equilibrium out of balance. Too many mouths to feed = livestock predation.

I have livestock at two properties right now, about ten miles apart. One has resident coyotes, the other has foxes. Hazing, harassment, containment (of pets and livestock), and being aware of predator behavior goes a long way.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The thing about coyotes is that if you kill the "wrong" one within a finite area, it triggers the rest of the females to come into heat, rapidly. So instead of one litter in one calendar year, you can easily get four or five or six or more.
Interesting. The coyote population in my urban neighborhood seems to be stable. They surface from time to time, and gradually get bolder, but I would not say we have had any kind of population explosion. Of course, no one in the neighborhood has hunted them. I would agree they have few natural predators, and none other than man in the part of the world where I live. Farther out west, wolves can and do kill coyotes.
I wonder what the young pups do once they get old enough to be independent? Seek new territory?

·
Super Moderator
5,903 Posts

I'm not against the removal of known problem animals. I've had to do it, I'm within my legal rights to do it, and I'm sure it'll happen again at some point. But I've watched coyote population explosions after resident pack dynamic is interrupted.

One of my mentors - big working sheep farm - told me years ago that she is not worried at all about the coyotes that live in the side of her hill, near her flock and her lambs. She said the only reason she will have a problem is if someone kills the female, sending her daughters/sisters all into heat at the same time, and throwing the equilibrium out of balance. Too many mouths to feed = livestock predation.

I have livestock at two properties right now, about ten miles apart. One has resident coyotes, the other has foxes. Hazing, harassment, containment (of pets and livestock), and being aware of predator behavior goes a long way.
Wow. That is great information. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: WIBackpacker

·
Registered
440 Posts
Still no coyote sightings at the new place in the country. As to predators of another sort, though--there is a lot of open pasture, bounded by some hilly woods on another person's land. Good hunting ground for hawks, and I've seen and heard a few. Compared to my now up-for-sale city house, I see almost no songbirds, despite hanging a feeder close to a pond. A lot of what look to be some kind of fly catchers swoop around, but they are fast and nimble. I think the songbirds, and maybe squirrels and chipmunks as well know that the open grassy area is a hawk danger zone.
I'd miss the songbirds. Squirrels and chipmunks have always stolen half my garden produce, and raided my bird feeders,so I wouldn't miss them at all.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
We would go to jail for killing a coyote or using a gun. They will remove a coyote if it harms a person if they can isolate the offender. Otherwise they recommend hazing here too. High powered water jets, noise. I haven’t seen any in our yard and I think the scent of the big dogs scares them off.

·
Super Moderator
7,940 Posts
If you have shrubs or trees near your house try locating the feeder within a few yards of those. The birds feel safer when they can dart in and out.I only feed birds in the winter because all of the seed thieves are not so active then,except deer.
The fly catchers might be swallows.They are really fun to watch. Sometimes there will be literally hundreds of them swooping around together. My guess is some sort of major insect hatch is going on?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Interesting. The coyote population in my urban neighborhood seems to be stable. They surface from time to time, and gradually get bolder, but I would not say we have had any kind of population explosion. Of course, no one in the neighborhood has hunted them. I would agree they have few natural predators, and none other than man in the part of the world where I live. Farther out west, wolves can and do kill coyotes.
I wonder what the young pups do once they get old enough to be independent? Seek new territory?
Yes.
Like most other pack animals, when the pack gets too big to feed or the adolescents get too old, they move on out to fill other territories and breed on their own. Our local coyotes were just three that I know of but had 6 pups this Spring....I doubt we'll see 9 of them for too long.

And I can tell your firsthand from countless encounters that they move off to a different area of their territory when my dogs are in the woods.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
"Attacks are not rare: in Canada so far in 2021, 54 people have been harassed or bitten by coyotes. In contrast, the U.S. has had 38 reported attacks."

Of course the numbers are much much higher since most people no longer bother to report anything but a mauling or death. I think I mentioned before that my neighbor called the City to report her dog had been attacked in her own back yard and was told "Maybe you shouldn't have moved to the country".... no report taken, no data collected.

A coyote attack earlier this week in Scarborough left one dog with serious injuries.

Dorothy Kwan's daughter Lily Kwan, 10, took their little Yorkshire Terrier Macy out for a walk and wound up being chased by a coyote. The dog attempted to fight off the coyote while protecting Lily, but was left with extensive injuries and underwent surgery.

"This is a walk she's done many, many times," Kwan said. "It's extremely concerning, just prior to this incident I found out in a nearby park a coyote had approached a child and had bitten them."

Toronto's data on coyote attacks shows that as of July 21, coyotes have attacked 10 dogs, of which five have died. That's up from nine attacks in 2020, one of which was fatal.

With the number of attacks already reaching the total number last year, many residents like Kwan have safety concerns in their own neighbourhoods.

Nature Conservancy of Canada spokesperson Andrew Holland said the pandemic has resulted in increased numbers of wildlife moving into urban areas.

"In the last 16 months, we've noticed a lot more wildlife in our communities," Holland said. "It's certainly not uncommon for coyotes to come out into urban areas to look for food sources."

Scarborough Centre city councillor Michael Thompson says the incident with Kwan's dog was "regrettable" and said the city encourages people to protect themselves from wild animals.

He said signage warning people of coyotes is "something we'd have to look at."

Across the Greater Toronto Area, more cities are also reporting increases.

In Mississauga, there have been 12 attacks as of July 22, up from 13 total in 2020. In Vaughan, there have been three as of July 22, up from seven total in 2020..

The city of Toronto says most interactions with coyotes are a result of a nearby food source. It warns residents not to feed coyotes and not to leave food, including pet food, outside.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I read that on the CBC...never have I been so impressed at the character of a Yorkie. It's getting to the point I worry more about coyotes on morning runs with the Xerxes the Attack Beagle then I do skunks (my previous concern of choice).

·
Registered
525 Posts
There has been virtually zero activity in our area of Mississauga and I live very close to the Credit River. Two years ago the howling went on every night. But now we have a plague of rabbits. I found a nest in my garden on the weekend. They’ve totally wiped out my veggies plus a bunch of flowers and all the neighbours are complaining plants are being decimated. Rabbits may be “cuter” but they’re certainly more destructive. That’s also a sure sign the coyotes are not nearby. Every other year there were many rabbits, the coyotes came by and took care of the problem. I’ve seen so many little baby rabbits this year it’s crazy. They’re all over the place.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Yup rabbit are certainly multiplying this year as they do every X years. We also had a net of baby bunnies in a round garden in the middle of our yard with 2 GSD running around loose, go figure.

But it's a cycle and the foxes return, the coyote numbers ramp up (evidently our local pair had 6 pups this past Spring) and the rabbit numbers plummet only to repeat the cycle. They can be destructive but personally, I'll take the bunnies ..... who have never attacked my dog lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Now I really need those coyotes. I noticed a new grass clump where I thought I broke up the bunny nest a few days ago. When I went to move it again, there are now baby bunnies in there. Holy cow she remade it fast. It wasn’t there yesterday. I’m too soft hearted to dispose of them even though I know they’re pests and Django has no clue they’re even there so he’s not up to the job lol. I guess this year is a garden write off. Next year - chicken wire!

·
Super Moderator
7,940 Posts
Aww,baby bunnies:love:Another adorable pest are chipmunks. They can burrow under or climb over fencing and take little bites out of everything. I don't mind sharing if they would just take a few pieces instead of grazing. The little brats like to tease the dogs too,chattering away just out of reach up a tree.A couple of overconfident chipmunks have met their demise misjudging Misty's hunting/climbing skills.

Reactions: cagal
221 - 240 of 249 Posts