German Shepherds Forum banner
201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Little girl bitten by an unprovoked coyote just north of Toronto in Ontario, likely triggered by her running.
Authorities advise "making loud noise" to scare it off if (when) they see it again".
....Nope. You shoot an unprovoked biter.

Multiple attacks in Ottawa

Close call in Markham (north of Toronto)

Out in Calgary, multiple attacks, likely one coyote

Cambridge, West of Toronto. Love the City mouthpiece saying "this is a one off" as I scan dozens of links to coyote biting incidents:rolleyes:

Calgary, guy gets his tiny dog back and performs CPR to bring him back. Vet says attackes aren't that rare.

BC. 100+ stitches on a 3 year old

Similarities in all these cases?
Some are right in subdivisions, some directly in back yards, some along trails but in town. No "wilderness" to be found. All involve smaller dogs or children, unprovoked attacks except by opportunistic predators.

I have watched them follow people on the trails right by my house, watched them hunker down in the long grass while people with strollers pass 20 feet away, talked to people whose dogs were attacked in their yards.

They don't sit and watch me (that I know of).
They don't follow me.
They don't approach me.

Between me and 2 GSD, we're 400 pounds of bad attitude .... :sneaky:

·
Registered
AbbyRose
30 Posts
Within 6 blocks of my home in my small Arizona town, we have Coyotes the size of my 15 week old Abby, rattlesnakes, javelinas ( I just saw mom and baby last week this is NOT my photo but stock)
Scorpions, black bear spotted in town (pics shown in local paper) and most fearful of all humans who would take my Abby in a second. p.s. forgot the skunks that got into my enclosed front porch, I USED to leave the outside door open for the cats. Not any more and so many other critters.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Little girl bitten by an unprovoked coyote just north of Toronto in Ontario, likely triggered by her running.
Authorities advise "making loud noise" to scare it off if (when) they see it again".
....Nope. You shoot an unprovoked biter.

Multiple attacks in Ottawa

Close call in Markham (north of Toronto)

Out in Calgary, multiple attacks, likely one coyote

Cambridge, West of Toronto. Love the City mouthpiece saying "this is a one off" as I scan dozens of links to coyote biting incidents:rolleyes:

Calgary, guy gets his tiny dog back and performs CPR to bring him back. Vet says attackes aren't that rare.

BC. 100+ stitches on a 3 year old

Similarities in all these cases?
Some are right in subdivisions, some directly in back yards, some along trails but in town. No "wilderness" to be found. All involve smaller dogs or children, unprovoked attacks except by opportunistic predators.

I have watched them follow people on the trails right by my house, watched them hunker down in the long grass while people with strollers pass 20 feet away, talked to people whose dogs were attacked in their yards.

They don't sit and watch me (that I know of).
They don't follow me.
They don't approach me.

Between me and 2 GSD, we're 400 pounds of bad attitude .... :sneaky:
For me, when it gets to this point it's time to do some hunting!

Reactions: ksotto333

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Within 6 blocks of my home in my small Arizona town, we have Coyotes the size of my 15 week old Abby, rattlesnakes, javelinas ( I just saw mom and baby last week this is NOT my photo but stock) View attachment 575294 Scorpions, black bear spotted in town (pics shown in local paper) and most fearful of all humans who would take my Abby in a second. p.s. forgot the skunks that got into my enclosed front porch, I USED to leave the outside door open for the cats. Not any more and so many other critters.
Yah, we've had 3 rattlesnake sightings at our cottage (other side of the lake from us but doesn't matter) already this year where we heard of none for the last 50 years. I saw one big one last year that the dogs instinctively gave a wide berth. We have bears up there and the occasional Bobcat/Lynx, nothing I'm worried about. I have baby raccoons in my wood shed right now but I'm not disturbing them since they've already there and very little. The dogs are always circling the shed and I assume Momma **** will move them out as soon as she can. Happened once before and we watched her carry them out to the woods.

I haven't seen our coyotes around the house in a few weeks but my neighbor says she saw one with 6 pups (may explain why they're avoiding my neck of the woods)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
For me, when it gets to this point it's time to do some hunting!
Yup, like I keep saying I love seeing them in the wild but the ones around here are VERY bold now and I wouldn't hesitate to crack one open if they approached my dog(s). I very much expect to have to help someone with a small dog on the trails one of these days.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just about everything I own that could be employed against coyotes is illegal to touch off in my city.
Perhaps a wrist rocket type slingshot is not on the list, I'd have to check. But pellet guns, bows and of course, firearms cannot be discharged in city limits.
The drafters of the ordinance were trying to cover (and forbid discharge) of everything they could think of.
You might get by with saving your pet or another human in an emergency, and in that situation, I'd rather take care of family first, ask permission later.

My wife and I hope to close on a property with 59 acres in July, if all goes according to plan. Much of it pasture, maybe 5 acres of woods.
I'm sure it has at least some coyote traffic. If they remain on good behavior, that's all right. If not, we'll typically b have some coyote dissuader handy.
We plan to install a chicken coop. That may be the first test.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I hope our coyotes circle back soon. The rabbits are completely out of control. They decimated my garden over the last few nights.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
7,702 Posts
I have a friend that has more trouble keeping raccoons out of the chicken coop than fox or coyote.Clever little guys will search out weak spots and pry back wood and wire.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I hope our coyotes circle back soon. The rabbits are completely out of control. They decimated my garden over the last few nights.:mad:
I'll gladly Uber a few of mine over to your neighborhood ....but yah this is a big year for rabbits all over

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
My dogs barked through a window and chased off a group of howling coyotes the other night, but two neighbors lost pets, one during the day. They just picked them up and ran off with them. They were medium sized, one dog and one cat. It was terrible.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We have moved to a 59 acre farm, but are still getting our old house in the city ready to sell. Guess where we actually see more coyotes--the city neighborhood.

They have taken one small dog and a couple of cats in the last year and a half. Reportedly, the neighbor behind me encountered three last week while he was taking out his trash, and they walked toward him. He is a pretty fit younger guy, former college volleyball player. My two dogs go ballistic when they see one on our walks. They live in a wooded ravine area behind the neighborhood, best we can tell.

201 - 220 of 234 Posts