·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Wow, so crazy.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I was out hunting deer and a coyote jumped into the road ahead of us and did a few spins then darted back into the brush. We drove on. As we were coming back, just scouting not hunting yet, we encountered another hunter and stopped for a chat. He mentioned the coyote doing the same thing to him!

Who knows why, but some are just playful I suppose. If your dogs are only chasing a short distance then coming back, it could very well be that the coyote thinks it's a game.
We had foxes denning in the ravine but clearly in sight of my front door that clearly enjoyed baiting my last female GSD and would actually come through the yard to see if she was out on the porch. I swear the fox smiled at her.

I actually felt privileged as the foxes would bring the kits out on the hill in the sun and once brought them a squirrel and I watched them run around and fight over it for 20 minutes; great entertainment.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I have seen our coyotes closely following people on the path walking small dogs and I have no doubt they're looking to be opportunistic. I think I mentioned above that a lady further down the ravine from us had her little dog grabbed/pinned in her own backyard but she was able to chase them off. And yah, they'll jump 4 foot fences like nothing.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Since we are sharing bear pictures. My husband thought it would be funny to stick this
That's a big boy(?)

Most of the black bears we get a the cottage "look" to be maybe 150 pounds. I only ever see the females (often with 1-3 cubs) and she tends to run if we're not close. My neighbor across the lake (no dogs) has her in his back yard regularly.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Met my neighbor this morning and she said she saw the male coyote with six (6) pups. No idea if she's correct but if true, I guess we'll have them around for awhile still....or forever.

My daughter was running on the trails last week a mile from here and came upon the coyote parents not 30 feet in front of her. They just stared at her and after a bit, just trotted off. I told her I hoped that isn't near their den but it's very near to where the lady had her dog attacked in her yard

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
We were out two nights ago around 11:30 for a final potty (the dogs, not us...lol) and who comes trotting up the street comfortable as can be as two coyotes, around 45 seconds apart. We're close to a very large park with woods and trails and there is a smaller park just the other side.

We've seen coyotes in the parks before, and out in the neighbourhood (including while running with our beagle, who weighs 25lbs soaking wet - he's tall for a beagle, but still small enough I worry). The two we saw a couple of nights ago took no notice of us or the dogs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
We now have fishers behind us. I couldn’t figure out what the screaming sound was I’d hear occasionally but I think it’s them. It scooted along the creek edge last Friday and there was no mistaking it.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
We were out two nights ago around 11:30 for a final potty (the dogs, not us...lol) and who comes trotting up the street comfortable as can be as two coyotes, around 45 seconds apart. We're close to a very large park with woods and trails and there is a smaller park just the other side.

We've seen coyotes in the parks before, and out in the neighbourhood (including while running with our beagle, who weighs 25lbs soaking wet - he's tall for a beagle, but still small enough I worry). The two we saw a couple of nights ago took no notice of us or the dogs.
Those two need to be hazed, that's the problem, they would definitely attack a beagle if given the opportunity.
As for your personal potty outside, no judgment here :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
We now have fishers behind us. I couldn’t figure out what the screaming sound was I’d hear occasionally but I think it’s them. It scooted along the creek edge last Friday and there was no mistaking it.
Funny I saw one about an hour ago running from the woods to the pond. Tons of rabbits this year too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Seeing a few more rabbits, and some feral or abandoned cats in my neighborhood. This makes me think the coyote presence is at least not increasing.
I don't expect they are altogether gone, though. Neighbor saw one in daylight about a month ago.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Those two need to be hazed, that's the problem, they would definitely attack a beagle if given the opportunity.
As for your personal potty outside, no judgment here :)
Yeah when I saw the one running with our beagle, I stopped running and walked backwards for awhile to see if it was behind/stalking us. When it didn't appear, I turned and sprinted home with the occasional backwards check just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Yeah when I saw the one running with our beagle, I stopped running and walked backwards for awhile to see if it was behind/stalking us. When it didn't appear, I turned and sprinted home with the occasional backwards check just to be sure.
I carry a very heavy stick and hike with 185 pounds of German Shepherd beside me....let's play Mr. Coyote.....I have never seen them not run when they see us and I have run them off with the dogs beside me and also just me solo. They just need to learn respect.

·
Super Moderator
7,702 Posts
Let's hope your coyotes don't take delivery of newer, better ACME devices that actually work 🤣

Reactions: cagal

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I carry a very heavy stick and hike with 185 pounds of German Shepherd beside me....let's play Mr. Coyote.....I have never seen them not run when they see us and I have run them off with the dogs beside me and also just me solo. They just need to learn respect.
View attachment 574603
Xerxes the Attack Beagle thinks he's 185lbs of German Shepherd haha.

(The one we saw while running went between houses and near as I could tell kept going - and the two the other night were oblivious to us and we were up in the complex, just watching them go past. Might work chasing them off with just Agis (or Agis plus Xerxes) but with our 13 year old Husky mix there we'd just totter after them ineffectually. I have friends who have been stalked by them while running and if that happened to me...man would the coyotes be leaving unhappily.)

181 - 200 of 234 Posts