German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just received an 8 weekd old GSD a few days ago. He is only 7 pounds and you can feel his hip bones his vertebrae and ribs! She is only eating 1/2 a can of wet food a day. I tried giving her some dry food, but she wont eat it. She is also active for about an hour a day and sleeps the rest. I am used to thick active puppies. Is this normal? (i do not think so) If not what can i try to do to increase her weight?
-Concerned GSD puppy owner

·
Registered
151 Posts
The smaller puppies in a litter are often times on the skinny side. Ours was in the middle and 11 lbs at 8 weeks. Why the wet food? The two we've had were accustomed to kibble. They were at least 9 weeks though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you posted some pics of your puppy that might help, however I agree with Deb. You should take your puppy into the vet to get checked out and make sure she doesn't have something else going on. People giving you tips to increase her appetite won't help if more is going on with her. Take her to the vet and do right by her, she is too young to not be eating and lethargic as you described.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Inga was 8.8 lbs at six weeks. She had already been wormed several times. They can get worms while still in the womb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts