German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a GSD she's 15 weeks old. How much should I be walking/running her? I ran her for 30 minutes today in the hills and she wasnt able to keep up. Is she to young to be running in the hills with me?

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
yes.

Only walk her as far away from home as you are willing to carry her back. Usually a lesiurely stroll around the block is plenty. Let her run around in the back yard all she wants, but let her determine how much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes.

Only walk her as far away from home as you are willing to carry her back. Usually a lesiurely stroll around the block is plenty. Let her run around in the back yard all she wants, but let her determine how much.
At what age will she be able to run with me? I want to get her on the level where she's a fun protection dog. Also, she dont bark at all why is that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please be very careful with her. These dogs are prone to hip problems if not taken care of. I do not limit my dog from playing and running around but they should never be jogging along side you until atleast a year.

They will bark when needed. I wish my dog would never bark, but then again my purpose of getting him was never "protection". If you got the pup from a good breeder and the pup has sound temperment and nerves they will bark and protect you when needed, as it is in their nature to do so. Forcing them to bark or wishing they barked more is not necessarily a good thing.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Shes a baby!! Would you expect your baby or toddler to hold a gun and shoot and intruder? Of course not so why would you expect that from your pup?

Also she is too little to go running with you on leash for any period of time. Ours is just about 12 weeks and we took a nice long (almost 2 hour) off leash hike in the woods but she was allowed to stop for water breaks to sit down play in dirt and whatever she wanted we went at HER pace. You can't force a puppy just take her casually at her own pace.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't wait to bring mine for a run with me...but I was told 12-18 months. Her long bones need to be fully grown first.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Enjoy her baby-time. If you want an excellent protection dog, socialize her extensively. Socialize her around different types of people, old, young, babies, children, people with wheel chairs, and walkers, black people, white people, fat people, skinny people, people who speak spanish, or hindi, and people who who wear hats.

Socialize her at home, and out in public, at the vet, and everywhere else.

The more ordinary good experiences your dog has, the less likely your dog will be to take a chunk out of the wrong tree.

Take your dog to puppy classes and basic obedience classes.

After your dog is a year old, you can start more strenuous exercise, and if your dog have a good stable personality, you can start her in schutzhund or other protection sports. You may want to travel down into that section and look at posts about how to raise a puppy to give them the best chance at being ready for that kind of training, what kind of playing, what kind of games, to improve confidence and drives.

Good luck.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
they might not protect you, good or bad breeder.

Please be very careful with her. These dogs are prone to hip problems if not taken care of. I do not limit my dog from playing and running around but they should never be jogging along side you until atleast a year.

They will bark when needed. I wish my dog would never bark, but then again my purpose of getting him was never "protection". If you got the pup from a good breeder and the pup has sound temperment and nerves they will bark and protect you when needed, as it is in their nature to do so. Forcing them to bark or wishing they barked more is not necessarily a good thing.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You can exercise your dog as much as you want so long as you don't push her to go faster or farther than she's willing to go and she's not over-angulated or structurally unsound. The fact that she couldn't keep up means you went too fast and too far for her right now. At this age, you can get in some slow brief jogging with mostly walking and a break if needed.

I was jogging 3 miles a day with my dog by the time he was 6 months, if that helps, but he's very well built and I had been increasing his exercise from the day I brought him home at 8 weeks and exercising him daily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts