German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my puppy a week early which i was excited about (7wks) He did good on a 30 min car ride from where i picked him up. no puke or whining or nothing :). We get home and take him outside say go potty and he goes a little. We play with him and finally go to bed it was good up until that point. Every couple hours he would wake up whining and carrying on so i would wait until he was quiet and let him out and then we would go outside and i would put him in the grass and say go potty and he would come back to where i was ( i would ignore him or put him back in the grass and say go potty) or he would just lay in the grass starin that puppy stare they have lol. So that happend all night on/off. On top of that he was constipated/and runny poop when he did poop. He would try and push so hard but nothin would come out and idk if there was blood in it or not but it was a little red me and my wife just thought he was tryin and pushin to hard so that might be it. He was pretty energetic throughout this whole thing he ate a little bit this morning and had some more pumpkin. Last night he had a gotten a shot at the breeders so we think that the shot and the sudden change in enviroment is what is causing this (hopefully). He just got done eating dinner and some more pumpkin and when to poop and my wife said it was more solid and there was nothing in his poop.

Any advice on how to get him to sleep a little longer? and what could be causin this constipation/runny poop? he is going to the vet next week so hopefully he gets some more wormer and they vet can fix him. is this sleeping and first night nightmare (lol) all normal or what? Im trying just letting him be a puppy and dont expect any really considering he is only 7 wks old. Any advice PLEASE. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
Congrats on the new pup!

1. He will start sleeping more over time. 7 weeks sleeps less at once than 8 weeks, 8 weeks less that 10 and so on. Also, housebreaking will take a little longer because the bladder hasn't grown so much yet.
You don't say where you have him sleeping. I like to have them next to my bed. They seem to sleep longer there.

2. I'd cut back on expecting him to poop so much. You might be straining his system there.

3. See what the vet has to say about puddin' poop. Could just be excitement, change in water, change in feeding habits and so on. The vet will help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wouldn't worry, my pup had that kind of poop the first 2 days. I would try leaving the tv on or something along those lines. We had a dream first night be to honest, but we prepared well in advance for it. He travelled a lot further (other end of the country in a plane) so I think my pup was tired out.

I don't think there is too much here to be concerned about, but as my sister (a vet) pointed out, sometimes a vet visit is as much to reassure the parents as anything else.

Personally I wouldn't have him beside the bed. A bit of whining is to be expected, try and make him comfortable and leave him to it, for a specific amount of time you decide upon. Maybe this won't work for everyone, but it works for us.

Don't worry too much, if he is eating, drinking and bouncing around, give him a few days to settle in.

When you take him to the vet (if you do) make sure you act as if nothing negative is happening.

Best of luck with your pup, (We always like photos) and did you pick a name yet? (Whiney soft poop might be a bit long
) let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I feel for you. We have a realitively new pup also. He has been with us for 2-1/2 weeks. Everyday gets a little easier. We have Apollos crate next to our bed. He is really good at night. Of course if he hears Dh or I get up at night he is ready to go. Once the alarm clock goes off he knows I am getting up.

Apollo had poo problems at first. I think it is the change in environment. Good luck and pictures are a definite must.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
middleofnowhere if he keeps sleeping less and less as he goes on im going to be up for 24hrs. he sleeps and wakes up every 2 or so hrs. then is up for an hr or so its so hard to sleep. He is sleeping in his crate out in the living room but i slept on the couch next to him last night so he could sleep longer but that didnt seem to help. Thx for the assurance on his poop im hopin it gets better but i will still take a sample to the vet. My wife has some pics on her phone i will put on here when i get home from work. and his Name is Kaizer.

Thx for your input guys. I would like some more opinons on this please guys. Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kaizer is a cool name, so is Apollo. I named mine Thunder. Its quite cool because when he arrived he was a very very light coloured sable, now he is darkening up quite considerably.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
jdp - re-read my post! Basically, what I was saying was that as he got older he would sleep for longer periods at a time. There WILL be a time when you can get 6 to 8 hours of sleep...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can get 4-5 hours with my 10 week guy, though I don't test it too much, 4 is the limit though he has never had an accident.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
new puppyitis. it happens all of the time. did you change his food? my puppy's first night home was ok, just whinning for 30 mins. or so when it was bedtime. keep taking your pup out often. we went from every 15 mins. to hours when it came to going out. we increased the time gradually as to how much time he was in the house. over night i took him out every 2 hours. like everything else we gradually increased the time he was in the house. i don't think you should wait a week to go to the Vet. when you go have a stool sample with you. he'll settle in. don't wait untill it's bedtime to crate your dog. crate him a few times during the day. good luck.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: networknPersonally I wouldn't have him beside the bed. A bit of whining is to be expected, try and make him comfortable and leave him to it, for a specific amount of time you decide upon. Maybe this won't work for everyone, but it works for us.
One potential problem with this is that they need to go "out" when they NEED to, NOT just when it is convenient for the owner. (Or when the owner decides.) Most puppies will let you know when they need to go out if they are crated. If the crate is too far from you and you can't hear them, you will likely wake up to a wet and/or poopy puppy.
Andd it is NOT fun to have to wash a poopy puppy and crate in the middle of the night.

During the night, I take my puppy out when she wakes me up. From the time I got her at 8 weeks, she woke up between 1:30 and 2:30 am, then again between 5:30 and 6:30. As she got a little older, she would only wake up around 2ish some nights. The last few nights, she has slept thru the night. (She is 12 weeks old.)

I will say that I do NOT limit her water intake like some folks do. I figure, I KNOW how it feels to be thirsty and not be able to have anything to drink, I'm not going to do that to my dogs. They are baby puppies for a SHORT amount of time, it will NOT kill me to get up during the night for a few weeks out of their LIFETIME.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok update. doggiedad i havent changed his diet as he has been on raw since he could eat so no change there. My wife fed him while i was typing away earlier. The rest of his chicken from this morning cuz he didnt eat much and some pumpkin ( i will organize his diet more next wk cuz my schedule is hetic right now in the miliatry). He also does spend time in his crate during the day and when he is being quiet and good i give him treats. So my wife told me when he wants to go out he goes by the door and starts sniffin it. so i see him do it and take him out and say go potty and he goes and pees then a few min. later he poops and it looks decent not as runny but still a little soft and no odd colors or things crawling around in it so i say it was just cuz he was real stressed so im excited about that!!!! ;). Played for a few min. and he went to sleep on the carpet then before i left i put him in the crate and he is sleeping right now i presume. I might get a heating pad and a tick tock clock and see if that helps some more.

Is he startin to sound normal yet lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
BlackGSD, I would definitely say you are more experienced than me, and puppies will vary for sure, however the very odd time the pup pooped, the crate we bought was big enough so he could poop at one end, and didn't end up covered in any of it. I go to bed at 12-1am, wake 4 hours from that point, and again at 8am. The only time he made a mess was when he had the squirts when he was sick. I am not saying leave him alone all night, but newspaper is easy to clean up.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: jdp2134I might get a heating pad and a tick tock clock and see if that helps some more.
PLEASE re-think that. A heating pad is a good way to end up with an electrocuted puppy. He may not be too bad yet, but soon he will likely chew anything and EVERYTHING possible. That will include a heating pad.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Only problem with newspaper IMO is that you are encouraging him to go in the house. Could lead to confusion or a longer house breaking period.

Also all puppies are different. They have different personalities and will do different things. What works great for one person may need to be slightly changes for someone else. It is almost a trial and error thing to see what works best.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point blackgsd i really didnt think of that. and ya he tried chewing my computer charger!!! I got a poop sample and took it to the vet today and made him a appt. for tomorrow and the vet is supposed to be callin me back later w/ the results.

Sometimes he crawels under the yard and i say no so he learns to stay in our yard but obviously he doesnt listen and i find myself getting discourged with him sometimes. When he bites his is leash i tell him no and get it out of his mouth and if i happen to have a rag handy i redirect him to that. will that cause confusion? Also when he sees the cat i tell him to leave it and when he ignores them i reward him for being good. Also when i took the stool sample to the vet i took him and i picked up him so the lady could pet him and she did then a few seconds later he was yelping/barking so i put him down right away.

Any advice on what i can be doing better/differently? am i doing too much correction at too young of a age? How should i go about letting people pet him so he gets socailized but so he doesnt yelp or anything? Raising a pup is work!! lol.

Also there are some pics of him in the picture section go check it out!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Was he "yelping and barking" because he was afraid, or because he didn't want to be held? Either way, did you put him down while he was "freaking out" or wait until he was still and quiet?

As far as "crawling under the yard" are you saying he is getting out of the yard? If that is the case, rather than having to correct him all the time, I would make it so he CAN'T get out.

Don't get discouraged just yet. He is a TINY BABY, the reason he "doesn't listen" is because he really has NO idea what you are saying. To HIM you are saying "blah, blah, blah." It takes time for them to learn what words mean.

I would try to cut down on telling him "no". I save "no" for things that are VERY important. (Like chewing on electrical cords.)

I use "leave it" for most things, like chewing the leash or messing with the cat. As far as the leash chewing goes, I too sometimes redirect but for the most part, I don't worry about it. EVERY puppy I have ever had has chewed(sp) on and/or carried the leash in their mouth. And EVERY one has grown out of it.

It sounds like you are on the right track, just keep it up. Luckily they are only babies for a short time.

I saw his pictures, WHAT A DOLL!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I realize that you took the poop in to the vet (which is probably a good thing), but what raw foods are you feeding your pup? Too much bone can cause constipation and too much just plain meat (muscle meat) can cause the opposite problem. Just trying to look at it from a different angle...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
blackgsd he might of yellped because he was being held and as soon as he was quiet i put him down i will probably let him get petted on his own from now on so he doesnt freak out. I feel like im correcting a little too much but i want him to learn house manners but i'll try and do what u suggested. mspiker im trying to slowly introduce each faze so he doesnt have an upset stomach about it i will prolly introduce mm sumtimes this weeked

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
What did you feed your dog before he had this problem? Each meal that your pup has should have some RMB and some MM...too many bones will cause your pup to become constipated. Indroducing new proteins/meats should be done slowly, yes, but your pup should be eating both RMB's and MM of the same protein each day (the amount of each will depend on what RMB's you are feeding your pup... for example: chicken necks and wings are very boney and you will need to add some chicken breast meat to them to make it a complete meal but chicken quarters have a pretty good ratio of bone:meat on their own and most dogs, not all, will not need extra MM).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts