German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was thinking about trying to train my Ava to german....but I dont know the words.... My problem is I have fosters coming through that I teach basics to. Ava likes to come with me when I work the fosters and I hate to keep her kenneled while the other dogs are having so much fun........but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get her to understand that the commands given to the fosters are not meant for her who I usually put in a down stay.........so when I call another dog to me....she comes as well. ARGGG I really dont want to have to crate her, does someone have a basic list of German commands I can teach my girl so I quit confusing her?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag1.htm

i have the same problem w/luc and teagan, but i alway think it's so cute....i'll be working w/teagan, and then hear a 'thump!' (luc downs enthusiastically) and look over, and there's luc down the hall, doing everything and grinning.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jarn......I appreciate it......normally it would be okay, its just the come command that really messes it up.......Then I get bum rushed by dogs.......which is good in a way, they mind well......but SHEESH...I cant teach fosters a different language.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Besides teaching a new language to Ava, have you considered teaching her that a command that has her name at the beginning is meant for her, and "normal" commands are meant for the fosters? Like, "Ava - come" instead of "come". Then she would know that the come is only for her if it has her name attached.

I realize that makes the commands longer, but maybe that's something that would work for you and in your situation. It's definitely easier than learning to pronounce the German words correctly.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been trying that, but she hears come and there she is....I hate to confuse her because she is doing what I taught her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts