German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Wolfie for a walk today. I noticed coming towards us, a young woman and her little Boston Terrier. She had her dog on a retractable leash, and he was taking her for a walk, by the looks of it. I had Wolfie in a heel, and the dogs would be face to face, if I continued with him in a heel. I didn't like the looks of the way the woman was handling her dog, so I told Wolfie to Vlock. That way I would be between the dogs. When they got close enough, the little dog launched himself in the air at Wolfie, not in a threatening way, and attached himself to Wolfie's head! He was hanging around Wolfie's neck and licking Wolfie's ear. Wolfie was wagging his tail and trying to lick back and shake the little monster off. I said to the woman that she's lucky that Wolfie likes little dogs or her dog could have been seriously hurt. Her response was " Oh Buster, you have a new friend!" I put my leg between her dog, who was now on the ground but still jumping on Wolfie, and Wolfie and said" let's go Wolf." She says "Oh have a nice day" WTF is wrong with people?!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I apologize to all the victims of the hyper and insane manners of my boston terrier. Penny is 13 years old , with cataracs (sp), but , bless her old heart, she just cant help herself. She thinks every one on earth was put here for her to lick, jump on. We tried to train her....it just didnt work. She was not the dog you encountered wolfie...but she sure could have been.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Even though the dog was being really rude and the owner should have reeled it in... what other behavior did you expect from the boston terrier when you saw it coming? If you see an out of control dog on a retractable leash, 99% of the time the dog is not just going to politely walk by you and ignore you.

Imo, I really don't blame her. If I was that lady, I would have also assumed your dog was friendly. I mean, who in their right mind would continue walking up to a small, out of control dog on a retractable leash with their dog aggressive dog?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When she saw that I put Wolfie on the opposite side of me so that the two dogs weren't going to be in each others faces, she could have done the same with her dog, picked him up, or reeled him in until we passed each other. I run in to a lot of owners of small dogs that think it's cute when a little dog jumps all over a big dog or other people. I wonder how cute it would be if my 85lb shepherd did the same thing.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't expect anything other than out of control behavior from the dog, but he's a dog that doesn't know better. I expected better manners on the part of his person.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
When she saw that I put Wolfie on the opposite side of me so that the two dogs weren't going to be in each others faces, she could have done the same with her dog, picked him up, or reeled him in until we passed each other. I run in to a lot of owners of small dogs that think it's cute when a little dog jumps all over a big dog or other people. I wonder how cute it would be if my 85lb shepherd did the same thing.
they'd get really mad at you and say Wolfie's an aggressive dog. What those owners don't understand is that the other dog may not like other dogs in their face jumping up and down all excited all it takes is one nip and the bigger dog will be viewed as aggressive all because the other owner doesn't have the common sense to shorten their dogs leash.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
People with dogs that do not have a problem, with breeds that do not have a reputation, really do not think about the world in the same terms as owners of dogs with problems, or owners of breeds of dogs that have a reputation.

They are clueless because their experiences with dogs have been freindly.

I wish that it could just be that way.

Unfortunately, their little dog might be shaken to death by another dog. And after that, you will meet this woman and come on here complaining that she saw Wolfie and picked her dog up and ran across the street with him.

People with small friendly dogs sometimes just do not know better because so far, they have not had a bad experience.

I mean, how many of us took a class in high school called "Pet Ownership" that teaches all these things? Most of us learn this stuff through our experiences.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they'd get really mad at you and say Wolfie's an aggressive dog. What those owners don't understand is that the other dog may not like other dogs in their face jumping up and down all excited all it takes is one nip and the bigger dog will be viewed as aggressive all because the other owner doesn't have the common sense to shorten their dogs leash.
Exactly or just bother to ask first. I always do. I never let Wolfie go up to another dog unless I ask the owner if it's ok.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I apologize to all the victims of the hyper and insane manners of my boston terrier.
As well as Boxers! :D For years Golden Retriever and Lab owners turned their noses up at our Boxers and their "lack of training" because they couldn't stop jumping and hyperventilating when anybody came by... Now that I have a GSD and Lab, I have my self esteem back that I'm not a complete failure as a trainer :rolleyes: After raising several Boxer puppies, I could probably handle at least 3 GSD puppies with my arms tied behind my back :cool:
I think Boxer and Boston owners are just happy to meet anyone who doesn't freak at their dog's poor manners :)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wolfie has a good friend that is a boxer. He is very well mannered, but his Mom is a professional dog trainer.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
wow.... sounds like you have the boston terrier version of the pom down the street from me. That dog is out of his mind and out of control but he is so darn friendly he's even harder to contain. They also have a saint bernard. I can only imagine the owner not only being behind the dog but flapping in the wind. They have NO control of those two dogs and Riley is terrified of St. Bernards. We dont even walk down the street that way anymore because of that pom and the owners lack of control and training their dogs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As well as Boxers! :D For years Golden Retriever and Lab owners turned their noses up at our Boxers and their "lack of training" because they couldn't stop jumping and hyperventilating when anybody came by... Now that I have a GSD and Lab, I have my self esteem back that I'm not a complete failure as a trainer :rolleyes: After raising several Boxer puppies, I could probably handle at least 3 GSD puppies with my arms tied behind my back :cool:
I think Boxer and Boston owners are just happy to meet anyone who doesn't freak at their dog's poor manners :)
I have both , boxer and boston....fortunatly spike is calm. The boston on the other hand, excuse coming : vet said tranqulizers were the only help for her. So she leads her life at home away from people...

·
Registered
15 Posts
OMG, I know exactly what you mean! I've always had Boxers or Dobermans (Dobes were a breeze) but my boxer would spaz because she would get so excited to see ANYTHING that moved past her, LOL. And then I got my GSD and it was like heaven had come down on me with how well behaved she was while I trained her.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took Wolfie for a walk today. I noticed coming towards us, a young woman and her little Boston Terrier. She had her dog on a retractable leash, and he was taking her for a walk, by the looks of it. I had Wolfie in a heel, and the dogs would be face to face, if I continued with him in a heel. I didn't like the looks of the way the woman was handling her dog, so I told Wolfie to Vlock. That way I would be between the dogs. When they got close enough, the little dog launched himself in the air at Wolfie, not in a threatening way, and attached himself to Wolfie's head! He was hanging around Wolfie's neck and licking Wolfie's ear. Wolfie was wagging his tail and trying to lick back and shake the little monster off. I said to the woman that she's lucky that Wolfie likes little dogs or her dog could have been seriously hurt. Her response was " Oh Buster, you have a new friend!" I put my leg between her dog, who was now on the ground but still jumping on Wolfie, and Wolfie and said" let's go Wolf." She says "Oh have a nice day" WTF is wrong with people?!

You're right no matter the size of a persons dog it does not give them the right to let their dog hang all over yours. It should already be known that it is polite to ask first if the two dogs can make contact. If anything was to happen to the little dog I'm sure the blame would be on the GSD just because of the breed. I have had two small dogs before and I would never let them approach another dog without seeing if the other dog has the same temperament.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
This doesn't really contribute anything, but it's on the subject and it verifies the idiocy of some owners with dogs on retractable leashes...

I was driving home recently and witnessed a Woman pushing her baby in a stroller along on the sidewalk. This would have been totally normal....If she didn't have her two little dogs stretched out to the end of their retractable leashes fifteen feet in front of her next to this well travelled road. I did a double take and wanted to pull my car over to slap her. If her dogs decided to veer left into the street with the amount of slack they had to run with, would she pick them or her child in the stroller to control?

·
Registered
275 Posts
This reminds me of smthing i read, people let small dogs get away with things that they'll never let bigger dogs get away with...such as jumping on people and sitting on their laps uninvited etc

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I think retractable leashes were the worst invention ever! It has created a whole new world of pack leaders, dogs!

Some people just do not get it, these are the same people that make excuses for their bratty kids.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I love it when we're out for a walk with all three dogs and someone with an untrained dog (oftentimes a small terrier!) comes toward us. We move to the side of the trail/sidewalk, put the dogs in a sit-stay, and wait patiently while the wide-eyed owners drag their little yappers by, many times asking us how in the WORLD we get our dogs to do that....always amusing. Plus, we hand out a lot of training club business cards.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on a walk with my visiting parents, not really dog people, and Ty. Ty is great with other dogs, BUT I feel people should be made to think so when a lady with an out of control little dog on a flexi was getting closer, and other dogs were being jumped and lots of barking going on, I warmed my parents that Ty would not be heeling and although seemingly out of control I assured them he was still under full control. This all took place an a wide waterfront board walk. I told Ty OK, and this was his release word, so suddenly he became a bouncy, goofy teenage German Shepherd. Bouncing in front adn all around my left side. The lady couldn't reel her dog in fast enough, and shortly after we passed I heeled Ty again, but she pulled hers in and gave us space.

On a sided note a maltese threw himself into Sin's face, attaching onto his lip, Sin, my daughter's GS was on leash in a sit and he just shook his head and threw the dog off. The little dog lost 2 teeth, broke his pallet and dislocated his jaw, Sin had a blood blister. It is not safe for little dogs to do this, they can be hurt too easily, Sin never stood up, and has zero aggressiveness.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts