German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between 6 months & 7, Panzer only gained a couple of pounds. Is this about right?

He's 72.4, so he's probably bigger than some for his age, and he looks great. Just curious if this is typical age growth slowdown.

He's still on large breed puppy food and I was planning to switch to adult when I but the next bag of food.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Jake just turned 8 months and his growth has also slowed down a lot. He weighs 75 pounds now. In the last month he only gained a few, too.

I think the big growth spurts are over and now they grow slowly and begin to thicken up and put muscle on....

·
2,967 Posts
Yes that's perfectly normal. My dogs usually only put on about 10-15lbs between 8-9 months and maturity. Argos was about 73lbs at 7 months, and finished out at 3.5years at about 85lbs.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Same here- Stosh is 8 mos and weighs 79 lbs- he's only gained a few lbs last month but looks bigger. He's definitely getting thicker in the hips and chest.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A quick question to everyone who has posted in this thread so far ? Did your puppies follow the weight chart (posted in this forum). My 8 week old is far below the chart..he is all of 11lbs at 8 weeks ! We just got him from the breeder this week.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! Good to know we're on track. :)

Ahazra - Panzer was pretty small at first too. There were 12 pups in the litter, so that would certainly affect initial size.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Puppies grow at different rates and of course there is a range within the standard. He will grow to what his genetics determine. I have a 10 wk old (female) that wa 7.5lbs at 8 wks! She is 14 lbs at 10 wks (she did have coccidda and hook worms which I'm sure contributed).

You don't want him to grow to fast as it can affect his bones/joints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts