German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a smaller sized GSD puppy two weeks ago...not an anomaly based on parents. There was a small puppy like him from previous litter who is still a bit smaller as an adult, which is actually what I want. The mom is quite small as well at about 60 pounds...dad is not huge at about 80. My question is what would be considered a good rate of growth for a smaller GSD? He’s currently almost 11 pounds at 10 weeks and has been gaining about 2 pounds per week. Feeding raw.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine is also nice and lean. It is a good thing. Don't look at charts. They drove me crazy!

Shasta was always way under what "they" said she should be. Random idiots on the street would tell me that I don't feed her enough, and she is too thin. Little do they know that is the best thing for them. Easy on the joints.

Look at the dog, not the charts. Every pup is different.

Shasta is now 16 mo, and a lean 60 pounds. I am trying to put a few more pounds n her, but with raw, it takes a lot. She is on NWN beef and eating a pound per meal, 3 times a day.

I have seen pictures of siblings of Shasta's. The looks so fat and out of shape. They are on kibble..... If you can afford it, stick with raw.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I would say do not bother with the charts. My current puppy should be within standard, hoping for right around 82 to 85lbs give or take. His sire is about that, and his dam is like 67lbs. I will say that 11lbs is pretty small for a 10 week old. Mine was 11.2 at 6 weeks old. Was the other small pup from this breeding that size at 10 weeks? As long as he is gaining steadily and has a good vet check for parasites and stuff like Coccidia, I would not worry about "typical" rates.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say do not bother with the charts. My current puppy should be within standard, hoping for right around 82 to 85lbs give or take. His sire is about that, and his dam is like 67lbs. I will say that 11lbs is pretty small for a 10 week old. Mine was 11.2 at 6 weeks old. Was the other small pup from this breeding that size at 10 weeks? As long as he is gaining steadily and has a good vet check for parasites and stuff like Coccidia, I would not worry about "typical" rates.
Yes the puppy from the previous litter was actually slightly smaller but was a female. I think she looks great now I’ve seen pics and videos of her. His fecal was clear at 8 weeks. I’ve increased his feeding % slightly and started leaving skin on the chicken for added fat...I’ve been easing him into raw because it was taking his stomach time to adjust but will have him fully transitioned over the next week. I know 11 pounds is really small but he’s growing and gaining weight every day. Very active and very smart!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts