German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My dog has had this bald patch of skin on her right elbow for as long as I've had her. But tonight when I was playing with her I noticed that a growth had formed, and showed signs of abscess. She didn't flinch or yelp when I poked at it, but she doesn't yelp to much. She had never licked or nipped at the area. It is about the size of a quarter, but the part starting to grow is the top part of it. I have no idea where to even start researching this matter. We've just went to the vet less than 2 months ago and she had blood work done. So before another costly visit, I want to do as much research as I can in the meantime so I know what to ask at the vet.

Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think you will need to go to the vet because I am not sure how it should be treated. I can, however, tell you about products that will protect that area going forward. My yellow lab had calluses on his elbows ever since I got him, but when he became elderly, the skin started breaking down till it looked like raw hamburger meat. I took him to the vet who said that there was nothing much that could be done, this happened frequently with age. I did some research online, however, and found a product called Canine Angels, bought a pair, and Max's elbows healed right up. He wore them right up to the time he died with no more problems. I did not take them off except to be laundered because I knew they would just break down again.

I don't know how old your dog is, but there is another product called Dogleggs, which can be easily removed if you want your dog to just wear them in the house. There are not cheap, but well worth it, particularly if it prevents more visits to the vet.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
have your vet take a look at it. My big-boy had a growth on his back leg that started looking ugly and grew quickly. My vet went from "lets wait and see what happens" to "we need to remove this and test it right away" in less than a week. The lab said it wasn't a malignant growth and it looked like my vet had removed all of lump. The biggest problem was that since it had gotten large in an area where there isn't much loose skin, not pulling stitches as a very difficult issue...and yes, he had to go back into the vet to redo a few stitches. He now has a scar I keep an eagle eye on.

So if it is an issue that will involve issues, catch it before it gets bigger.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
It's an infected hair follicle on the callous. Jax used to get them all the time. Put some moist heat on it to try to get it to come to a head. I liked the Silver Shield gel best after it drains. It's colloidal silver, which they used to use on cows for mastitis.

My vet used to give me an antiseptic spray but it had alcohol and would sting her.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Jax08, did you ever try Vetericyn as an alternative to the alcohol-based spray? It feels like water when you spray it on (I've sprayed it on my own boo-boos -- totally painless). I wonder if spraying that on might help it get better faster.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
Jax08, did you ever try Vetericyn as an alternative to the alcohol-based spray? It feels like water when you spray it on (I've sprayed it on my own boo-boos -- totally painless). I wonder if spraying that on might help it get better faster.
No. The Silver Shield works great. I had no need to try anything else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to wrap that area well enough to use icthammol? That stuff works wonders drawing out infection and splinters (first hand knowledge here, prone to splinters and terrified of having someone dig them out with a needle). A hot compress, then apply, cover and leave on over night.

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
All the above.
Deja had calluses on her elbows because she mainly slept on the cool hardwood floors. Once I crated her at night on a soft bed, they are now almost gone.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I would get a vet opinion. My older dog had a reddish growth on the leg near the elbow and it was a treatable but malignant tumor. It was removed over a year ago and did not return.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts