German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a co-worker that had a couple shepherds earlier in life. He said that if he remembers correctly, they seemed to grow vertically for the first year, and horizontally for the second year.
Does this sound about right?
While we are smitten with Bandit(7-1/2 month old male), we can't help but wonder where he will end up. Weight-wise, and height wise.
Today at Petsmart he was 87 lbs. This is our first GSD, so we don't really know what to expect. I know his feet still look big for his size, compared to the few other shepherds we have managed to steal a glance at.
He is a long coat, and we are hoping that he ends up pretty big and imposing looking, especially since he has the fur.
He was just shy of 7 months old during this pic.
Looking forward to any discussion, comments, speculation. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
He is definately big for a GSD - over-sized by AKC standards.
Please watch be careful what you feed so he doesn't develope pano.
My girl is right at 50lbs at 6 months - and her sire was 86lbs. She will be smaller than he - thank goodness - she is enough to handle & has a very deep, fierce bark already.
Good luck & have fun :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are newbies to GSD's. Can you explain what you mean by oversized according to AKC, and Plano? We have been feeding him Blue Buffalo Wilderness for a long time, to try to retard his weight gain from overpowering his joints. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts