German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta question about who my 5 month old will be when he grows up.

So right now Blue's exactly what I wanted in a dog - a good middle-of-the-road fella. We've done a lot of socializing and he's pretty comfortable in his skin - still a few things to work on but we keep at it.

So my question is how much of this changes when he 'grows up'? My biggest question is about the dominance/aggression.

Right now he shows no signs of wanting to be dominant - he's not timid but he will submit to other dogs who need that sort of thing. He lays down for them then pops back up and wants to play. And he's shown little aggression, but there is some fear-based aggression that pops out now and then and I'm working on that.

So will any of this change as he gets older?

(I've got a similar question related to his dealing with other dogs and what I should allow - I'll post another note)

~L'aura

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Wow you have the same question I would like to hear on too... Jesse my male gsd is 5.5 months old and getting fixed on next Thursday the 24th. He has the personality right now that I don't want to see change. He is a sweet heart to every living thing. Only one fear which we are working hard on (vehicles).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
im gonna join the two of u....my boy is nice. needs some work on barking but he's still learning. loves to rough-house with other dogs, is a pretty straight up little fella, ornry as all get-out...most of the problems i have with him are puppy issues that need worked out other than that im looking forward to see how he is as an adult

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Well even with litters of puppies some show more dominance within their own litter so I would say if at this point your dog is comfortable with other dogs than you will not have a problem with him. Now my own dogs (and I am thinking of 2 in particular) are very comfortable with other dogs and do not have a problem meeting new dogs but if a new dog came up to them and did something rude, they would correct the dog for it but would not escelate into a fight unless the other dog carried through with it. I would continue to socialize your puppy. There is no crystal ball when it comes to puppies. A lot of what he will become is based on his genetics

Can you be more specific with the fear aggression? If it is in regards to other dogs then I would let him know that barking/lunging at other dogs is not acceptable and reward good behavior. Again, continue to socialize him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts