German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our almost 11 week old GSD puppy bites, growls and plays extremely rough. He doesn't seem to respond to any methods of discipline....we have tried walking away, the old fashioned shake, holding the muzzle, can with pennies in it, etc and he still wants rough play. Any ideas? What methods have worked with your pups? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31,948 Posts
I have a 12 week old female puppy that would tire him out and put him in his place.

Just kidding. It sounds like he is just a GSD puppy. He is teething, so redirect to plenty of chew toys. Remove your bitable members from him the moment he gets too rough. Don't isolate him, but put him behind a baby gate when it gets to be a bit much.

Play with him, play fetch, play tug, end EVERY game the moment it gets rough.

Teach him to take treats gently from your hand. Use the word GENTLE or NICE, every time. As he gets good at taking it gently out of your open hand, make it tougher for him to get. Keep reminding him Gentle, and afterward praise him, Good boy, Good Gentle.

Once he can take this out of your finger and thumb like it's a feather every single time. Start using the word GENTLE to remind him to be careful with your fingers, with the baby, etc. GENTLE with my fingers. And if he does not listen, remove your fingers and ignore him for a bit.

Fists are tougher to bite than fingers. Fingers fit in the mouth easy. if you ball your hands, fists are just not as fun to gnaw on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Have you played with him on a flirtpole? He needs to get out his oral and physical energy, they work well. Keep it low, and fluid movements let him win,after he counters his bite to a deep bite do some tug. Lift him by his collar til he lets go, and do it over a few more times. Really, pups need to play like that when they have higher drives...and working with him after a few flirtpole sessions on some obedience(focus, sit, downs and maybe a restrained recall) will have his brain balanced out some. Food rewards for this, as it will lower the drive state.
Then put him up after the obedience so he can process his training session. As he gets older you can lengthen the sessions.

Two ball fetch can be changed up with the flirtpole, but pups really love to tug. In a few weeks he'll be teething so tug will have to be put on hold, then the two ball will come into play. Start that now so he'll know whats what.
Holding the muzzle, shaking, or the penny shake just ramps up the energy level to fight or play.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
how much exercise are you giving him? Free romp in yard doesn't count.

A tired puppy is a good puppy.

I'd get a ball and start playing fetch with him.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I feel your pain, literally! I had the same issue with my pup, I actually worried there was something wrong with her till I found "bratty bedtime behavior" on this forum. I wrote a long lament a couple months ago, and got much excellent advice - if you look at my other posts, you can find all the good responses I got. The exercise (long walks, like an hour - I was thinking keep it to 20 minutes because of their young joints, but that wasn't remotely enough!) was the key I think, but the biting thing was hard to get past. I'm pretty sure nothing really worked until she lost interest in it on her own! But from reading all these posts, it seems as if they all do. Good luck!!

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I feel your pain, literally! I had the same issue with my pup, I actually worried there was something wrong with her till I found "bratty bedtime behavior" on this forum. I wrote a long lament a couple months ago, and got much excellent advice - if you look at my other posts, you can find all the good responses I got. The exercise (long walks, like an hour - I was thinking keep it to 20 minutes because of their young joints, but that wasn't remotely enough!) was the key I think, but the biting thing was hard to get past. I'm pretty sure nothing really worked until she lost interest in it on her own! But from reading all these posts, it seems as if they all do. Good luck!!
Actually none of my pups have been landsharks. But, they've been able to have other dogs to interact with/and the older dogs correct them if they get too exhuberant(with my supervision)
Mental exercise for a GSD is as important as the physical...I think laying tracks with the meals or having puppy hunt for his food(toss it out in the yard instead of pouring it into a bowl) or using the meals for training works well. Any way to stimulate the brain is going to help in the long run.
Crate games are good too at this age as well as perch work(rear end awareness) so many things you can do in the sponge stage

·
Registered
308 Posts
What is perch work? I haven't heard of that yet. I've been thinking about getting one of those balance boards, I think it's called, looks like a partial ball with a platform on top - any suggestions about those? Thanks

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
of course in the OP's dilligent research before acquiring a puppy they would have realised that this is healthy, normal behaviour that should be cherished in a pup. the other posters have given good practical advice i only add that these moments you are not enjoying are the moments that are for positive bonding and trust building - yr pup is reaching out to you and getting to know what you are - make the experience one where he sees you as something he can trust and follow and enjoy being around not see you as an inconsistent bully.

good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have done my research. I have a 11 year old gsd, a 21 month old gsd and our almost 11 week old one. He, the 11 week old, seems to be more into biting and rough play then I remember our others being. Of course my senior dog wants no part of the puppy and the 21 month old wants to be with him constant but we don't allow that yet as I don't want the puppy getting hurt and the 21 month old seems to get quite rough with the puppy if he plays constant with the biting and roughness. The rough play amongst the 2 of them I surely don't want the puppy injured from rough play. The 21 month old seems to have a lot of patience but the pup never tires playing with him lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for exercise he gets play with the other dog, indoor play with myself and my 3 kids, he has lots of toys, plays fetch, 2-3 times a day we train for about 10 mins each of sit, down, stay, etc. he has the sit pretty mastered. This guy just doesn't seem to tire and likes the biting much more then I can recall the other 2 being like as pups. Maybe he needs more time with the older dog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts