German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have been lurking around here for a while now and have gotten a ton of extremely useful information from all the experienced GSD owners and trainers. So thank you!

My GSD will be 2 years old in March and we have been managing his reactivity to other dogs since he was 7 months old. Unfortunately, due to my ignorance at that time we got him from a BYB. We have been through reactive classes in a schutzhund club, we have done AKC competitive obedience classes... The AKC competitive obedience classes, we got kicked out of since the instructors did not feel comfortable enough having Jaeger there. He was reactive when first entering the facility. When he was in the working mode he did great. He is a perfect pup at home and he does great on the walks as well. His reactivity to dogs have gone from lunging and barking to staring, and is progressively getting better.

Aaaand of course there is an issue! During the last few weeks he has started softly growling at people that he has known since he was a pup. For example - the next door neighbor. Another neighbor from down the block. That neighbor's 14 year old son... He is approaching them, all happy to see them and get pets. But when they extend a hand to pet him he softly growls. We do not, in general introduce him to people. His job is to be in a sit by my side when i am talking to someone new. However, these are the people he has known since we brought him home at 8 weeks old. Any ideas? Can this be some sort of adolescent shenanigans? What can this be?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,852 Posts
He obviously is not comfortable with anyone outside of his immediate family pack touching him. Explain that to your neighbors and don't allow touching anymore. It's a common thing that happens with GSDs as they reach maturity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it. That's what I thought as well. He is fine with visitors at home though. We just had 8 people over for a board game night on Sunday and he knows everyone, they are all great and everyone is his best friend. But, I am assuming his perception of people that are allowed in the house and people he knows outside of home might be different. Oh boy... is my bf is going to have a problem with that. According to him every dog should be like a golden retriever that he used to have. Oh well... Luckily, lately he seems to defer to me with anything regarding Jaeger. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,852 Posts
Well.... a perfect temperment according to the breed standard is "aloof but approachable".But oftentimes they are not "approachable".GSDs are not supposed to be everyone's best friend and are supposed to be suspicious of those outside of his family. If he's good with guests in your home and will sit quietly while you converse with people outside the home, that is exemplary behavior.

Reactions: Rionel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full disclosure - We are working on sitting quietly! It's always a work in progress:) He knows what to do, just conveniently forgets sometimes. A slight reminder is still needed at least 80% of the time. He had definetly given me a workout since we have gotten him. But where would the fun be otherwise?! We have spent a crazy amount of time on training me to train him. Lol! And this site has been an invaluable resource since the beginning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts