German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Ditto stopped what she was doing, stared and pointed into the dining room and began to growl. It was a deep growl that I have never really heard before. Her hair went up. I was slightly afraid to look to see what the problem was. I looked and there was nothing there, except a coat that had fallen on the ground.

Now, in the past she has growled at "nothing" but I always assumed it was something I couldn't hear. It was never this deep and she never pointed like she saw something. Usually when she does this, I am alone with her in a cabin at night, so it really freaks me out. Thankfully this time I wasn't alone and it was broad daylight.

The only thing I can figure is that she saw a mouse (we have a mouse problem) but she has never reacted to them at all. The other dogs try to go after them. And honestly, would she react that way to a tiny mouse? She seemed afraid too because when I went in there, she didn't follow me. Weird. I hate when they do things like that.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Scarlett has done that when she saw her own reflection in a piece of glass. I was honestly a little freaked out until I figured out what she was looking at.

When she did it one time, I literally looked between her ears and down her nose and sure enough, a reflection. I burst out laughing!!

Now we know to "sight in" whatever she may be looking at to understand what she is growling or barking at.

Reflections really get her hackles up. She obviously does NOT like other GSD's in her territory.

BUT, she was getting very agitated on our deck in February. Clearly, she was tracking something under the deck. We put out a trap and caught the intruder. That is one HUGE squirrel that will not be chewing his way under my house ever again.

At a point you need to trust their instincts and sense of hearing and smell. Past that point, you have to assume that it's something goofy that has alerted them. Since you are alpha, it falls upon you to sort it out. :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona growled and bark like a nut. I went on the balcony to see what the commotion was all about. My neighbor had backed his car up about 5 feet and left his car door open when he went to go get something. It annoyed me at first, until I realized that she recognized something was out of place and she was letting me know.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
263 Posts
Scarlett has done that when she saw her own reflection in a piece of glass. I was honestly a little freaked out until I figured out what she was looking at.

When she did it one time, I literally looked between her ears and down her nose and sure enough, a reflection. I burst out laughing!!

Now we know to "sight in" whatever she may be looking at to understand what she is growling or barking at.

Reflections really get her hackles up. She obviously does NOT like other GSD's in her territory.
Jerry does that if he sees himself in the windows at night. We always joke about him really not liking that other GSD looking in his window.

He'll lay on his bed sometimes and growl if he hears something. I guess some things aren't worth getting up and barking, but require a little grumbling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts