German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a almost 2 year old female gsd/rottie mix

she is a real sweet dog and has always loved people...we usually will go to the local star bucks and other places we can sit outside with her and she has always gotten excited about most people saying Hi, and petting her until recently.......

now things are different, she's completely cool with us sitting out side and having people walk by and even talk to us but if some one looks at her and approaches or just even looks at her and says something like "hi puppy" she gets uncomfortable and growls and/or barks at them....this is also true if a passer by says hi to her while we are walking.

to throw us off even more..this doesn't appear to be a problem if she's off leash :confused:

the only thing that has changed is switching her harness to a front clip...can this be it?

any idea's?

thanks

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I have been using a front clip harness for over a year and that hasn't my Sting's friendliness. But then, he thinks everyone is out to admire him :) I am just the person holding the leash. For your dog, it could be you are tensing up on the leash or gripping it, because that will cause the dog to feel tension on her chest. So try relaxing your hands and holding the leash loosely. Also, greet the person first - just a hello, that will show your dog that you are in charge of the social greetings. If they start to address your dog, just answer so your dog doesn't have the chance to answer back in "dog talk."

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm this might be it, although usually she is tied to the railing/chair ..maybe I'll try switching back to the old harness.

one note is that people have talked to us first and then shifted their attention to her and she still did not like it.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
That could explains it. She is tied and on the defensive. Also when using a front clip harness, the dog shouldn't be tied when the leash is on the front clip because it will cause the restraining action. Instead clip the leash to a top ring on her back. Though she still may react because of being tied. I suggest you hold the leash loosely and do not hold it tight. Also have her on the sit/stay or down/stay and reward her with a treat while you are talking to the other person. When the person talks to her, give her a treat and join in the conversation.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my front clip doesn't have a ring on the back..you think switching it to the ring on her collar would be fine?

I'll try and make sure the leash is loose and reward her..thanks for the tips

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Yes, you could use the ring on her collar but make sure the collar is loose not tight and is a regular collar otherwise she will feel a jerk on her neck and that will reinforce her negative response to people. I would also be sure she has a safe place -like under the table or by your side away from where people approach so she doesn't feel that she is alone out there and people are free to approach her and she can't get away which is contributing to her reaction.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You!

I now have tried walking her on the front clip and as soon as we sit down outside I switch over to just her normal collar ring...she's back to her old self and let a group of people pet her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts