German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

We got our Zulu (Black GSD) on 6 Aug. I think I maybe overthinking, but want to be cautious. He is a good boy, potty training going well, he is gaining weight, and learning a lot. He is now 9 1/2-10 weks. With all that said, I was looking at some puppy growth charts and it seems like he maybe a tad under what he should be. Went to his first vet appointment and he was 14lbs - on pick up he was about 10lbs. He eats about 3-4 small meals a day, exercises, plays, sleeps. Vet didn't say anything to alert to under weight. We got him from a breeder (very nice lady) and met mom and dad. Now - Mom is Czech shutzhund lines and Dad is German shepherd shutzhund lines. I know the Czech lines can a bit smaller and leaner.

Sorry, I am rambling. Thoughts?

·
Registered
201 Posts
my puppy was about that same weight at 9 1/2/ weeks.. she is now 17 weeks and only 29lbs...I was feeding her 3x a day... about a cup each time.. now I feed her twice a day about 2 cups each feeding

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Before I started free feeding my dogs, I did not cut back to twice a day feedings until they were six months old. They might be big but they are still babies that are growing very fast.

I would not pay much attention to charts online or what other people guesstimate their puppies to weigh. I find the numbers too high.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Before I started free feeding my dogs, I did not cut back to twice a day feedings until they were six months old. They might be big but they are still babies that are growing very fast.

I would not pay much attention to charts online or what other people guesstimate their puppies to weigh. I find the numbers too high.
I thought the numbers were high too.. made me think my puppy is too small... not sure what her weight should be at 4months

1 - 5 of 5 Posts