German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there im in need of some help or tricks that can help my boy get through these growing pains. this is the second time the first one wasnt so bad just a little limp but now holy cow he is limping restless wimps paces looks at me like mom please help all he wants to do is lay in the snow he walks around the house lays down gets up lays down changes sides cant rest sad looking its breaking my heart the vet said it will get better with time i have been reading other peoples issues and read vit C helps it might be a stupid question but is it reg vit C or do i get it from the vet i will try anything i have been massaging him and he loves it any input would be great ps black german shepherd 9 months 92 lbs still on puppy food as i was told to wait until he is a year to change ??????? PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
987 Posts
I assume you mean your dog has panostitis/pano. Vitamin C won't do a thing. He needs an NSAIDS for dogs. I prefer Previcox and would never use Rimidyl. Previcox is not cheap, but is very effective. Use it for the shortest time possible such as when the pain has subsided. Pano comes and goes and can last up to five pears, but that is uncommon. A GSD shouldn't be on puppy food past four months of age and that is probably contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was just doing what the vet told ne to stay on puppy food for a year but i think i am going to start switching him to adult food now thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Vets have a reputation about not being very knowledgeable about dogs' nutritional needs. The rapid growth from the puppy food is a likely factor. Has your vet officially diagnosed your dog with pano?

·
Super Moderator
6,513 Posts
pup does not appear skinny (thin, lean, etc...) in the photo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry what i meant is he is not fat he is a tall large dog his father is very big also i mean skinny by his belly area is skinny looking he is a very solid boy you cant really tell in that picture

1 - 10 of 10 Posts