German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I have a 5 month old GSD pup (born 1/27/17) and she is always hungry! Currently I'm feeding her 4 cups (2 at 7 AM & 2 at 6 PM) of Fromm's large breed puppy food. She is still hungry and eats the other dogs food and whines for more. I haven't asked the vet, but wanted the to inquire with everyone if I should give her more?

Obviously a puppy will eat anything given and I don't want to over feed her. She weighs 53 pounds (not chubby) and is moderately active (30 minute training sessions and 1 hour yard play per day).

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe try to add in a 3rd feeding time, just split up a cup from the other 2 and try feeding her around noon or 1ish. No matter what though, puppies will always want more food hahah

·
Registered
150 Posts
She is a beauty,
She is also going to be a "Hulkster"; you know the nickname from Hulk Hogan.... :)
You wont have a burglar problem once she is fully grown; one look at her and the
crooks will keep walkin'.

I had a male like her. He would eat like a horse all of the time. But, I would limit him to about what you are feeding your girl. Puppies will eat until they burst if you let them. And who wants doggie diarrhea all over the yard?! Not me.
Pups that age don't have very good control of their bladders or bowels sometimes either; so you'll know about how much to feed her.

Is that her game board on the bed ? She knows how to play tic-tac-toe? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no! I'll have to take one this evening to send to you as I want to make sure she's healthy. This is my first GSD as an adult so I'm not always 100% on how her body should look without showing my dad ?. My mother agrees with you. She's been fattening her up while she's had her this week so my boxer can recover from surgery in peace lol.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
She does not look thin to me.
At 5 months I would be feeding 3 meals a day.
I am still struggling to understand the amount of food every one seems to be feeding. My working dog only got 3 cups a day. My current dog only gets 2.
I can see a growing pup getting more but understand that overfeeding results in stomach upset.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
She doesn't look thin to me in those last photos either. Going off the photos, 4 cups is plenty. If she's still looking for food, maybe divvy up those 4 cups into 3 meals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts